• :|

• If I can only pick 1 power, either China(who can only buy 1 unit most of the game and only has one objective) or France(who doesn’t have to decide what to buy bust still has a naval unit). If I can pick more than one, give him China, France, and ANZAC

• I believe newbies should be dropped in the center of the action, so let them take a major player in the game. Let him have a good taste of what A&A is about. UK is maybe abit too struggling, USA and Russia take too long to get into the game, Japan might have to wait 3 turns too, so germany is a good choice.

Action from the very beginning!

• i believe a combination of the US and France or China would be good. A few turns of dice rolling and then some buying.

If the newb seems up for it Russia is pretty fun. Not much naval strategy to worry about and japan probably attacks them

• I would cringe and then let them pick whoever they wanted. Depending on the type of person I would give them advice or have an ally give them advice (If I am playing the opposite side) or let them get ganked and learn what it is about.

• '10

@special:

I believe newbies should be dropped in the center of the action, so let them take a major player in the game. Let him have a good taste of what A&A is about. UK is maybe abit too struggling, USA and Russia take too long to get into the game, Japan might have to wait 3 turns too, so germany is a good choice.

And then no one would want to play Italy and Japan!

• China and Anzac to give them a feel for the game.

• '10

Italy!

Action!

Own decisions!

“Big Brother” Germany, who is watching!

• @Fishmoto37:

@special:

I believe newbies should be dropped in the center of the action, so let them take a major player in the game. Let him have a good taste of what A&A is about. UK is maybe abit too struggling, USA and Russia take too long to get into the game, Japan might have to wait 3 turns too, so germany is a good choice.

Let him team up with the best player, which will play Japan (and the newbie can take italy as well). The other player can advise him when needed. Best way to learn it.

• '10

@special:

@Fishmoto37:

@special:

Let him team up with the best player, which will play Japan (and the newbie can take italy as well). The other player can advise him when needed. Best way to learn it.

Teaming with the best player is probably a good idea. But I would always start the first timer playing France, China and ANZAC depending on how many total players there are. That way the first timer can get a feel for all the rules without getting one of the major nations wiped out. A&AG1940 is not a simple game like monopoly. It takes hours of all the players time and not too many people will want to invest that time in a game that is wasted letting a new person play a major like Germany for instance. Now if its only a two player game then the old hand must have the patience of Job in order to break in a new addict.

• @special:

I guess you like to go home before midnight. :-P

• I say ANZAC. Its a nice compact nation, but, if played right, can be vital part of the allied forces in the Pacific.

• @marechallannes:

Italy!

Action!

Own decisions!

“Big Brother” Germany, who is watching!

I agree

• I think ANZAC is a terrible idea for a new player. We found a way in my group for ANZAC to be useful but if I were new and only got the 3 minor powers I’d be frusterated as hell. My group usually just figures the divisions of powers to the number of players and take one box lid for each player. Example in a 3 player game 2 play the allies one plays the axis. However we split the allies US and UK will be seperated so we take the US, UK, and one axis box top and mix them randomly. We let new players pick first then grab at will. US usually gets the Pacific allies, UK the Europe. In a 3 player game we don’t follow the 3 allies vs 1 axis. We feel it’s more fun for each side to have a friend to strategize with. We also always give each major ally at least one minor one. Anyway we don’t care if you’re a new gamer. We want you to have fun and ANZAC IMO takes a bit more experience to play right. UK/ANZAC is usually our split for 6 player games and if the new player gets them we give them the option to trade. UK is like playing 2 games, and can get overwhelming.

• ANZAC is the best choice. You have the UK and US player both helping you out and you get to experience all the type of combat AA offers (naval, air, and ground). I think Italy is too important to hand to a newbie. Italy is the key to Axis victory. If Italy can take Egypt it takes pretty much all of Africa, becomes a beast IPC wise, and gives the Allies a headache for turns to come. If Italy fails in North Africa early, odds are it will fall by round 5 or 6 to a smart US.

• Italy for sure.  It’s got action right off the bat, it is Semi-independant (With Germany to back it up/to be backed up depending on the gameplay) and it is in the game from beginning to end but is not likely to win/lose the war based entirely on its own moves assuming a competent Germany player.

Giving a new player Anzac, China and France would be a sure-fire way to turn them off of the game if you ask me.  Our first game of global we had one player do those three minor allied nations and quite frankly he spent most of his game sitting around waiting to move one or two units.  An hour of waiting for 30 seconds of gameplay is not a good introduction to the game!

• @Rorschach:

Italy for sure.  It’s got action right off the bat, it is Semi-independant (With Germany to back it up/to be backed up depending on the gameplay) and it is in the game from beginning to end but is not likely to win/lose the war based entirely on its own moves assuming a competent Germany player.

Giving a new player Anzac, China and France would be a sure-fire way to turn them off of the game if you ask me.  Our first game of global we had one player do those three minor allied nations and quite frankly he spent most of his game sitting around waiting to move one or two units.  An hour of waiting for 30 seconds of gameplay is not a good introduction to the game!

Agreed. Why not give the newbie the important power? If you have teammates who are good at helping. And I personally have as much fun losing as winning as long as there aren’t too many glaring mistakes. And if the new person is making mistakes they’ll learn from them. But here’s the most important thing. But each person is different.

• '10

If you give a major power to a newbee, you have too care too much for his turns.

Russia could be an option. :-)

Not much fleet and amphibious operations to care of…

• i prefer newb having a allie because all axis need to work well together if their going to win otherwise its a walk over. USA because they have lots of money and room for error.

• Italy is logical.

Its a “full” size country, with “training wheels” (a low income).

You get experience with navy builds and maneuvering.
    You have three straights to play with, even one that doesn’t block subs.
    You can experience the joys of convoy raiding and being raided.
    You can purchase every type of unit. Even Battleships
    You have factories, air/naval bases, and AA guns to practice using.
    You can capture an enemy Capital and enjoy plundering its wealth.
    You can beat up on neutrals.
    You get to declare war.
    You have strategy choices and decisions to make: Land or Sea or Both.
    You can help Germany or they can help you as needed.
    You have national objectives, that you can earn on your own and feel good about.
    You play near the middle of the turn line-up depending on version. Which means you get to watch others play and learn before you have to play.
    You can make technology rolls.
    You get to capture some victory cities and possibly win the game for your team.
    With good play, you are rewarded with a production value that rivals the other powers starting levels. Allowing you to take off the “training wheels”.

You are likely to be the first one knocked out of the game, if you lose interest or have to leave early.

Any mistakes Italy makes won’t cost you the game. Yet you still “feel” important and less stressed then if you were thrust into the cauldron.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m