Russia's National Objective Met by Declaring War on Japan?

• Russia’s first national objective in Global is “5 IPCs if the Soviet Union is at war…”.  Russia can declare war on Japan on R1.  Does declaring war with Japan fulfill the “at war” portion of Russia’s national objective?

Craig

• I could be wrong, but that would only put the Soviet Union at war with Japan and the NO is for “War with Euro-Axis”.

• I’m not so sure.  On page 33:

“5 IPCs if the Soviet Union is at war, the convoy in sea zone 125 is free of Axis warships, Archangel is controlled by the Soviet Union, and there are no units belonging to other Allied powers present in any territories originally controlled by the Soviet Union.”

It doesn’t say anything specifying which continent it applies to so the way I read it, yes they get the bonus if they declare war on Japan.

• It doesn’t say Euro-Axis. But I think that was the intention.

But everything that prevents a Russo-Japanese war should be promoted. In my current opinion attacking Russia as Japan J1 is a no-brainer.

I think a solution to this is to give either defender a one time 6 inf bonus if attacked by the other.

• Official Q&A

It was intended that this NO only apply if the USSR is at war with a European Axis power.  This will be in the FAQ.

• I think that the rule is fine just the way it is. If anyting its more of a deterrent for Japan not to attack the soviets, which is in both countries best intrest.

• @Clyde85:

I think that the rule is fine just the way it is. If anyting its more of a deterrent for Japan not to attack the soviets, which is in both countries best intrest.

Russia then declares war on Japan on turn 1 to get the NO

• Yep. And Russia will take over Korea and threaten Manchuria.

• @Tavenier:

Yep. And Russia will take over Korea and threaten Manchuria.

Korea will be convoy raided by the Z6 fleet. No point in wasting inf to take it.

• No, it’s not pointless. You attack Korea with 2 infs. If success, Japan has to send at least 1 inf there (potentially losing 1 fig), thus slowing Japan a bit (and aircraft attacking soviets will not be attacking chinamen). If failure, all you have to do is retreat with 1 inf to Amur: that inf will stop blitzs, and I don’t think that losing 2 infs at Siberia is going to lose the day for USSR … it’s the huge airforce of Japan that can erase the full 18 inf stack with one blow … also and the lack of aa guns at Siberia and China

Anyway it’s silly that Japan can convoy raid a land-locked country as USSR  :|

• @Funcioneta:

No, it’s not pointless. You attack Korea with 2 infs. If success, Japan has to send at least 1 inf there (potentially losing 1 fig), thus slowing Japan a bit (and aircraft attacking soviets will not be attacking chinamen). If failure, all you have to do is retreat with 1 inf to Amur: that inf will stop blitzs, and I don’t think that losing 2 infs at Siberia is going to lose the day for USSR … it’s the huge airforce of Japan that can erase the full 18 inf stack with one blow … also and the lack of aa guns at Siberia and China

Anyway it’s silly that Japan can convoy raid a land-locked country as USSR  :|

Why? It doesn’t take that many planes to kill the weak China

• Well, any fighter that is not fighting China helps. You should send a couple of mech infs from Moscow to China each turn as well until Germany DOWs USSR

• @Funcioneta:

Well, any fighter that is not fighting China helps. You should send a couple of mech infs from Moscow to China each turn as well until Germany DOWs USSR

Japan just needs to kill 4 inf on turn 1. 1 less ftr won’t make much of a difference

• Why in gods name would Russia want to attack Japan? Serioulsy, Russia is going to have its hands full dealing with Germany why would it want to have Japan hitting its back door?
    I mean Russia has no offensive units in the area, while Japan has it full freakin army and Navy all of one Space away. Also, its nigh impossible for Russia to get offensive units out there while once again Japans main industry is, one space away.

I dont think it is possible for the Russians to even hold a Japanese tt long enough to put an IC in it as any Japanese player with a brain will send everything its has to counter-attack and kill the Russians, and take it back. 18 infantry is great to defend, but will run out pretty quick if put on the offensive and left unsupported

• @Clyde85:

Why in gods name would Russia want to attack Japan? Serioulsy, Russia is going to have its hands full dealing with Germany why would it want to have Japan hitting its back door?
    I mean Russia has no offensive units in the area, while Japan has it full freakin army and Navy all of one Space away. Also, its nigh impossible for Russia to get offensive units out there while once again Japans main industry is, one space away.

I dont think it is possible for the Russians to even hold a Japanese tt long enough to put an IC in it as any Japanese player with a brain will send everything its has to counter-attack and kill the Russians, and take it back. 18 infantry is great to defend, but will run out pretty quick if put on the offensive and left unsupported

Russia declares war so it can take Persia and Iraq

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Which dose what excatly? How dose that shift the gorss imbalance of forces between the Russians and the Japanese? How dose it make it so that Russian forces out in the far east will last longer?

Its great that you can quote me, but could you try answering the questions that were asked instead giving a cryptic answer which just raises more questions?

Like how can the soviets attack Iraq when the rules say they can make no offensive against the European axis (and before you tell me, Iam well aware the Iraq is in the Middle east, but since its on the AAEuro40 board, im grouping it in with them)

• @Clyde85:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Which dose what excatly? How dose that shift the gorss imbalance of forces between the Russians and the Japanese? How dose it make it so that Russian forces out in the far east will last longer?

Its great that you can quote me, but could you try answering the questions that were asked instead giving a cryptic answer which just raises more questions?

Like how can the soviets attack Iraq when the rules say they can make no offensive against the European axis (and before you tell me, Iam well aware the Iraq is in the Middle east, but since its on the AAEuro40 board, im grouping it in with them)

Russia can invade any neutral once its at war. Persia can give it ipc’s and infantry, and killing Iraq prevents Italy from getting those inf and is another 2 ipcs. The 18 inf can just retreat to Buryatia.

• Russia can go to war with Japan without it affecting it relations with the other axis, just because Japan and the Soviets are at war dosnt mean it can attack the Euro axis. Iraq is on the Euro board, making it part of the Euro axis in my view, where Russia is forbidden from attacking.

Now your talking about the Soviets retreating, so your saying that the Soviets should declare war against japan, not attack them, and stack everything in Buryatia? This sounds like a terrible long term stratgey, I highly doubt that a 5ipc NO and the extra 2 infantry and 2 ipcs is going to make a difference, espically when you basically invite the Japanese to take 5ipcs worth of tt from you for free.

• Every transport japan wastes dropping troops in siberia is a turn the dutch east indies, india, or singapore holds out.

It does hurt russia by redistrubuting its infantry to the east. It pushes japan back a square or two. I think of each round of territory which has to be captured as one more turn america has to get involved.

• @Clyde85:

Russia can go to war with Japan without it affecting it relations with the other axis, just because Japan and the Soviets are at war dosnt mean it can attack the Euro axis. Iraq is on the Euro board, making it part of the Euro axis in my view, where Russia is forbidden from attacking.

Now your talking about the Soviets retreating, so your saying that the Soviets should declare war against japan, not attack them, and stack everything in Buryatia? This sounds like a terrible long term stratgey, I highly doubt that a 5ipc NO and the extra 2 infantry and 2 ipcs is going to make a difference, espically when you basically invite the Japanese to take 5ipcs worth of tt from you for free.

Iraq is not part of axis. Krieg has confirmed that Russia can attack it when at war with Japan. However, the NO only applies if at war with Germany or Italy

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m