Soviet minor industrial complex in Amur

• I wouldnt count on that.  The Russian forces provide a wonderful deterrant against Japanese aggression, even in China.  It ensure that Japan at least has to keep a token force not to lose Korea and Manchuria.  Also those 18 infantry in Amur are several turns away from being useful in Moscow or against Germany.  I feel that a good Russian player will place them all in amur because if they are split up the Japanese can get them piecemeal.

• Man, it’s horrible, I didn’t noticed the soviet round 1 attack on Korea … you can do it with just 3 inf (2 if you feel lucky). If success, it slows Japan a bit and USSR gets 3 IPCs to fight agaisnt Germany, they can enter China and they can attack neutrals (Persia)! Then, all you must do is let 1 inf at Amur to prevent blitz and stack the othe 14 infs at bur or sak  :-P

This is totally stupid: USSR is going to attack Japan round 1 all the games. In fact, the sad truth is that USSR and Japan start the game at war because not only there are not penalties for the attacker, there are incentives for the attacker (that will be USSR since they play before)  :-o

• '22 '19 '18

If I was Japan I would love for Russia to attack me every game R1, because to take Korea they would have to send at least 3 inf and the more inf they divide up the easier it is for Japan’s mighty airforce to take them down.  I would have no problem  as Japan to take 1 turn to eliminate the Russian Northern threat even if it delayed my attacks against UK.

Any troops Russia sends into China are fewer troops available to fight the Nazi when they come.

• @cond1024:

If I was Japan I would love for Russia to attack me every game R1, because to take Korea they would have to send at least 3 inf and the more inf they divide up the easier it is for Japan’s mighty airforce to take them down.  I would have no problem  as Japan to take 1 turn to eliminate the Russian Northern threat even if it delayed my attacks against UK.

Any troops Russia sends into China are fewer troops available to fight the Nazi when they come.

Yeah…15 planes vs 15 inf.

• @cond1024:

This is pretty much my thought as well.  In fact, I’m going to try adding USSR into AAP40 as a full player this weekend and see if that hampers the J3 India Crush.

• Can the Russians even get IPCs for Korea? Isn’t there a convoy in the Japan SZ.

• Good catch Wilson.  That’ll put a damper on that idea.

• @SAS:

Good catch Wilson.  That’ll put a damper on that idea.

It still denies Japan 3 ipcs if they don’t bother taking it back, which diverts stuff from China

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@SAS:

Good catch Wilson.  That’ll put a damper on that idea.

It still denies Japan 3 ipcs if they don’t bother taking it back, which diverts stuff from China

convoys are only blocked at japans round i thought, so USSR gets its 3 IPC
    I thought the same thing bout marseille, italy takes it but there are 2 french ships before it…

• No, convoy disruption occurs during a country’s collect income phase.  You add up all your territories and NOs and then subtract for convoy disruptions.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@cond1024:

I’d sacrifice all 15 inf to take out half that many of Japan’s planes. Taking out that much of the airforce would sink the Japanese permanently in that theatre provided the Americans use what’s necessary to capitalize.

• @xzorn:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@cond1024:

I’d sacrifice all 15 inf to take out half that many of Japan’s planes. Taking out that much of the airforce would sink the Japanese permanently in that theatre provided the Americans use what’s necessary to capitalize.

Exactly. That’s my point. You wouldn’t send 1 fighter against 1 inf, and you certainly wouldn’t send 100 fighters against 100 inf

• Good point the convoy at Korea … still, it’s odd that a land power suffers convoys  :?

• As someone who almost always ends up playing as Japan - I would have to agree with the earlier poster who said he welcomed an R1 attack against Japan.

The notion that depriving Japan of its AAP40 J1 attack I think overlooks the very real possibility that in AAG40 Japan may be better served on a J2 or J3 attack instead - if only to prevent the US from entering the European conflict early.  Remember, a Japan DOW on UK/ANZAC essentially frees the US to DOW Germany/Italy.  Why would a prudent Japanese player do that in round 1?  I’m not certain its worth getting the US in the game that quickly.

Divide and conquer seems a more prudent approach - and if Russia wants to serve its Asian territories up early, then as a Japanese player, Im happy to take them on, while also reducing the Chinese threat all the while positioning for the inevitable strike against the UK/ANZAC.

So having the opportunity to permanently remove the USSR infantry threat early on, seem to me may actually free Japan  to expand farther and in stronger force in subsequent rounds than they otherwise would be able to if they had to garrison forces on the defense in the north.

• If Russia takes Korea and Japan takes it back, that’s not an invasion, that’s a skirmish, and well within the spirit of the Japanese-Russian relations during the war.

I think the 18 infantry are perfect.  Russia can’t afford to waste them in full up attacks against real Japanese forces, because the Japanese will quickly eliminate them and then blitz through Siberia.  Japan doesn’t want to attack them because (if Russia is smart about where they block from, probably Buryata or Sakha to avoid amphibious assault and stretch the range of airstrikes) it will cost too many units and distract from China and India for too little gain.  On the other hand, Japan has to keep a respectable force there as well just to maintain parity on the border, putting a serious damper in their fight against China and India.  Brilliant.

• @Real:

I wouldnt count on that.  The Russian forces provide a wonderful deterrant against Japanese aggression, even in China.  It ensure that Japan at least has to keep a token force not to lose Korea and Manchuria.  Also those 18 infantry in Amur are several turns away from being useful in Moscow or against Germany.  I feel that a good Russian player will place them all in amur because if they are split up the Japanese can get them piecemeal.

And if you are allies, you are going to love it if Japan is going to put big effort into ‘defeating’ those 18 infs. It buys breathing space for UK India and ANZAC. Japan really cannot afford to split its forces between two fronts like that.

• @purplebaron:

If Russia takes Korea and Japan takes it back, that’s not an invasion, that’s a skirmish, and well within the spirit of the Japanese-Russian relations during the war.

I think the 18 infantry are perfect.  Russia can’t afford to waste them in full up attacks against real Japanese forces, because the Japanese will quickly eliminate them and then blitz through Siberia.  Japan doesn’t want to attack them because (if Russia is smart about where they block from, probably Buryata or Sakha to avoid amphibious assault and stretch the range of airstrikes) it will cost too many units and distract from China and India for too little gain.  On the other hand, Japan has to keep a respectable force there as well just to maintain parity on the border, putting a serious damper in their fight against China and India.  Brilliant.

That does seem like the safest way to go for Russia in the longer run. I also agree that Japan needs to keep a close eye on them and needs to keep a considerable number of troops on the border. As someone suggested in another thread, this is probably also the easiest fix for A&A Pacific40 (on its own): Force the Japanese to keep an X number of land units or IPC worth of units in the land territories bordering Russia. This will lessen the pressure on China and make both China and India more likley to survive longer. On the other hand, adding a few Chinese units wouldn’t be a bad idea either and certainly historically accurate.

• Secure Amur for a bombing base on Japan :mrgreen:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m