• Hey guys,
    May, for instance, an American fleet attack the defending Japanese naval units (in Sz 60) without (1) having to attack Japan itself, and if (1) is legal, then, may the fleet attack Sz60 without (2) being attacked by Japanese fighters grounded in Japan?
    Thanks.

• Official Q&A

Welcome, gloriae!

@gloriae:

May, for instance, an American fleet attack the defending Japanese naval units (in Sz 60) without (1) having to attack Japan itself

Yes.

@gloriae:

may the fleet attack Sz60 without (2) being attacked by Japanese fighters grounded in Japan?

No.  The Japan player would have the option to scramble air units in response to the attack.

• @gloriae:

may the fleet attack Sz60 without (2) being attacked by Japanese fighters grounded in Japan?
    No.  The Japan player would have the option to scramble air units in response to the attack.

This is disheartening news…haha.

Thanks for the welcome Krieghund! I will definitely be around on the forums, for the summer at least.

• @Krieghund:

Welcome, gloriae!

@gloriae:

May, for instance, an American fleet attack the defending Japanese naval units (in Sz 60) without (1) having to attack Japan itself

Yes.

@gloriae:

Scrambling is an option in the 1942 edition?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

LOL that is DEFINETLY a typo on Kriegs part.

Gonna back him up here and say it’s hard to remember all the rules, for all versions of the game, at all times.

Fighters on the LAND in Japan cannot and will not defend the sea. not in 1942 anyway.

• @Gargantua:

LOL that is DEFINETLY a typo on Kriegs part.

Gonna back him up here and say it’s hard to remember all the rules, for all versions of the game, at all times.

Fighters on the LAND in Japan cannot and will not defend the sea. not in 1942 anyway.

Oh good news! haha. In which version(s) can the fighters “scramble”?

Only in the new Pacific 1940.  Also in the old Pacific, you could put up combat air patrols. CAP’s.

America is safe to attack! :p

• Pacific 1940, and only if an isand has an air base. (In fact, in 1942, Japan is not an “island” as defined by P40)

• @Gargantua:

Only in the new Pacific 1940.  Also in the old Pacific, you could put up combat air patrols. CAP’s.

America is safe to attack! :p

In CAP’s, was the enemy allowed to attack the fighters?

Yes,

They could only be put up in zone’s that had airbases, and they basically just because a regular naval unit.  But they could not have done combat that turn.

It was kind of a nice feature, ateast you knew what you were up against, none of this, will they/won’t they scramble business.

• Official Q&A

Thanks for catching that, Calvinhobbesliker and Gargantua!

I didn’t get the rules mixed up, just the forums.  For some reason, I thought I was in the AAP40 forum.  Sorry about that, gloriae.   :oops:

In original AAP, CAP can be established from any territory that’s adjacent to a sea zone, not just one with an air base.

• That CAP rule in good old Pacific always remained a mystery to me. As far as I remember you can only use airplanes that didn’t take part in any combat. Now who would let any airplane sitting around doing nothing in combat ?  Japan not using airplanes in her attacks ?  That’s why I never used CAP, not once.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m