• First time this has come up for my group:

J1: Japan player does not declare war against the U.S.  Japan consolidates its transports into a heavily defended sea zone.  
    US1: US player sends the Filipino DD to the area with the Japan super-fleet (including the transports).

Now, if Japan declares war against the U.S. on J2 the transports cannot be used in that turn, or can they?  Or ruling was that if Japan declares war, and it shares a seazone with the power they just declared war upon - then that superfleet is technically locked down in combat and must resolve the combat during its turn.  Since the trannies were (technically) part of the combat where the Japan superfleet will annihilate the US DD they cannot move during the noncom move (or, for that matter, perform an amphibious assault that turn).

Is this legal?

It was an interesting move - because it dared the Japanese to declare war against the US, and if so, it hampered the movement of their important transport assets.  It also kept Japan from invading the Phillipenes on J2 (which was their plan) and forced them to wait until a much less-optimal J4 for the invasion (they still took it, in case anyone was wondering) after spreading out their transports to various seazones.

• Your fleet might combat-move out of a hostile seazone, but are not allowed to embark any tranny there.

• @Razor:

Your fleet might combat-move out of a hostile seazone, but are not allowed to embark any tranny there.

There it is - we played it wrong.  p12 in the rules.  Thanks.

• @Praetorian:

@Razor:

Your fleet might combat-move out of a hostile seazone, but are not allowed to embark any tranny there.

There it is - we played it wrong.  p12 in the rules.  Thanks.

On that situation there’s an exception to the rules, according to the official FAQ:

“Important exception – During the combat movement phase following the announced declaration of war, transports already in sea zones that have just become hostile may be loaded in those sea zones (but not in other hostile sea zones). This may occur only during the first Combat Move phase following the announced declaration of war. Once that initial combat movement phase is over, normal transport loading restrictions apply.”

• @Hobbes:

On that situation there’s an exception to the rules, according to the official FAQ:

If it aint in the Rulebook, it is a houserule.

And all houserules are optional.

You got a weak case if it was in a court.

• @Razor:

@Hobbes:

The Rulebook is wrong, and that has been officially confirmed by the people who made the game. It’s not a house rule. It’s a rule.

• @Razor:

@Hobbes:

But we’re not in a court and you’re free to say your interpretation of the rules the same way I’m free to inform people of the Official FAQ.  :-)

• @Razor:

@Hobbes:

Actually, if this was a court the rulebook would be something similar to a written constitution. And in that regard there are interpretations that aren’t officially recorded in said written constitution, but carry the weight as if it does. So the official errata would stand as rules unwritten.

• I agree, Razor if your not using the now official errata you are cheating!!!

Of course you probably only play against Aldertag, so your only cheating your other self. :-D

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '10

@Razor:

@Hobbes:

LOL

• @WILD:

I agree, Razor if your not using the now official errata you are cheating!!!

Yes but the errata is a mile long and get re-writen every day. The real problem is that WOTC are incompetent. They dont care about A&A.

Yes I use to cheat when I play against my evil twin Adlertag. But I would like to some day join  Tournament play and then we need official rules that everybody play by. WOTC need to understand this issue and print new rulebooks that are distributed to all customers for any reason ASAP.

• @thenorthman:

LOL

I spend $100 to buy this game, you dont see me laughing, buddy.

• Official Q&A

@Dougler88:

@Razor:

@Hobbes:

Actually, if this was a court the rulebook would be something similar to a written constitution. And in that regard there are interpretations that aren’t officially recorded in said written constitution, but carry the weight as if it does. So the official errata would stand as rules unwritten.

Using this model, I would think that the errata would be amendments to the constitution, not unwritten rules.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '10

@Razor:

@thenorthman:

LOL

I spend $100 to buy this game, you dont see me laughing, buddy.

I am laughing at you.

Plus why did you spend $100.  I got mine for $60.  LOL

Plus you actually act like your the age where some one else would of bought the game for you.

Sean

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m