Accurate Miniature Equivalents for Custom Painting your 1940 E&P

• You are insane man!  I can’t wait to see the carriers!  
    How are you going to identify the Battleships, Cruisers, and Destroyers as Japanese?  In other words where will you put the rising sun flags?

I was thinking (because I have no artistic skill with a brush) about subbing A&A minis in for the pieces in the game, but that would 1) cost a ton and 2) overfill the board and 3) i’d have no way to easily identify what country the belong to.  I mean, it wouldnt be too hard to replace the infantry, but the tanks, half-tracks, ships (from War At Sea), and planes would almost never fit on an A&A board.  Besides I wouldnt have any way to mark them with the chips to denote say 4 battleships, and it’d be a huge mess.  Any thoughts?

• @Imperious:

where are the German pieces?

He is doing the pieces for pacific 1940 there are no german pieces

• Customizer

@finnman:

@Imperious:

where are the German pieces?

He is doing the pieces for pacific 1940 there are no german pieces

If you notice, the title of the forum is 1940 E&P. I’m just going through at least most of Pacific first. So far I’ve done (in this order) China, ANZAC, and Japan. Next is US, Germany, UK, Russia, Italy, France, (then possibly Canada? Neutrals?)

• Customizer

@robbie358:

You are insane man!  I can’t wait to see the carriers!  
    How are you going to identify the Battleships, Cruisers, and Destroyers as Japanese?  In other words where will you put the rising sun flags?

The entire navy will have the white flag with a red dot painted on the side of the ship, though the battleships and carriers will have the full roundel painted on their hulls (I’m going to go back and do this for the ANZAC flagships as well). Also every navy’s warships are going to have half of their smokestacks and radar towers striped with the original nation’s color (IE orange for Japan).

@robbie358:

I was thinking (because I have no artistic skill with a brush) about subbing A&A minis in for the pieces in the game, but that would 1) cost a ton and 2) overfill the board and 3) i’d have no way to easily identify what country the belong to.  I mean, it wouldnt be too hard to replace the infantry, but the tanks, half-tracks, ships (from War At Sea), and planes would almost never fit on an A&A board.  Besides I wouldnt have any way to mark them with the chips to denote say 4 battleships, and it’d be a huge mess.  Any thoughts?

Well as a bit of shameless self promotion: I’m about to start a website offering the service of painting A&A (or any board game’s) pieces. There will be a wide variety of different detail availabilities for varying price ranges. I’m still in the process of getting all the specs together (gauging how long paint jobs take, what to charge, taking better pics of the finished product, etc).

Speaking of which - anyone have any suggestions for a domain name?

• miniart.com, seems to be available

• '10

Impressive paintjob. Nice fotos!

Thanks.

• Customizer

@gredert:

miniart.com, seems to be available

Actually it’s been taken. Though I’m still up to new suggestions, I just registered: warpieces.com. What do you guys think?

• @allworkandnoclay:

@gredert:

Actually it’s been taken. Though I’m still up to new suggestions, I just registered: warpieces.com. What do you guys think?

I think whatever it is you need to add it to your signature on your profile.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

@allworkandnoclay:

@gredert:

Sounds good to me! I searched a few others that seemed to fit you but they were all taken. Maybe “allworkforyourplay.com”? It’s long but goes with the theme… :-D

• Customizer

@Variable:

@allworkandnoclay:

@gredert:

Sounds good to me! I searched a few others that seemed to fit you but they were all taken. Maybe “allworkforyourplay.com”? It’s long but goes with the theme… :-D

Well the one I currently have was going to be warandpieces.com … I might still register that one heh.

• How about paintedarmy.com?

• man terrific work :-o absolutely fantastic congratulation!

• Customizer

@Brain:

How about paintedarmy.com?

I like that… Maybe I’ll snatch that one as well just for the multiple urls.

Update coming soon! About halfway through the Japanese Navy - it’s huge!

Two camo sets - 8 Battleships, 8 Carriers, 8 Cruisers, 12 Destroyers, 12 Transports, and 12 Subs.

• @allworkandnoclay:

@Brain:

How about paintedarmy.com?

I like that… Maybe I’ll snatch that one as well just for the multiple urls.
    Update coming soon! About halfway through the Japanese Navy - it’s huge!
    Two camo sets - 8 Battleships, 8 Carriers, 8 Cruisers, 12 Destroyers, 12 Transports, and 12 Subs.

Did I mention my commission? :-D

• Customizer

Update:

Imperial Japanese Navy

Japanese Subs

Japanese Transports

Japanese Destroyers

Japanese Cruisers

Japanese Carriers

Japanese Battleships

IJN Flat Paint Scheme

IJN Experimental Paint Scheme (was really only used on carriers, but I extended it to the full Navy)

Complete IJN

Complete Imperial Japanese Forces

• Customizer

Also some shots from the current board setup (no USA or UK):

Up next: USA!

All I can say is…  :-o

• Yeah, so. Is my firstborn child sufficient payment for a full set?

• Customizer

@bennyboyg:

Yeah, so. Is my firstborn child sufficient payment for a full set?

Depends… Is he/she Organic USDA approved?

I’ve been working on pricing… I’ve come up with several paint sets I will have available. The current set I’m displaying here is of course the insane deluxe set that will cost a lot. The only reason I’m charging a lot is because it takes a really long time to do and tests my sanity in the process.

Here are my current ideas for what is available for each set… The extra/better options obviously will cost more. Also the buyer would have to provide the pieces (unless they want to pay for me to purchase them).

Cleanup

• Basic: Quick wash and brush (to remove factory mold release agent), grinding major mold imperfections.
    • Medium: Wash and brush, grind all mold marks.
    • Full: Wash and brush, grind all mold marks, epoxy fill any mold indentations.

Primer

• All sets would include this.

Paint

Infantry

• Basic Flat Coat: One flat color over entire surface.
    • Uniform/Gun/Skin: Exactly what it says.
    • Deluxe: All details of figure and uniform painted.
    • Plus Roundel: Any above option plus a painted national roundel base.

Ground Units

• Basic Camo: Two or three color camo scheme.
    • Additional Camo Schemes: Several different camo schemes.
    • Deluxe: Full camo scheme plus detailing.

Air Force

Navy

Ink Shading

• All sets will include this.

Two Coat Sealer

• All sets will include this.

What do you guys think?

Seems this should provide enough budgetary options for most people. I know I can’t afford your work no matter how reasonable, but I know a lot of people here have the budget and desire for this. Are you thinking between $200 - $1000 depending on options chosen?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m