• Hey guys

I own all the Axis and allies games and have decide to pick up A&A 1942 and A&A pacific 1940, Is pacific a updated version of the original pacific, and why is a&a spring 1942 so cheap? its at my game shop for $35 canadian and pacific is $80

thanks guys

Jeremy

• Spring 1942 is the “Basic” game.  Similar to the original A&A where as Pacific is part of a larger more enthusist’s version of the game that can be later combined with Europe 1940.

The complexity and size of the map is one major difference, as well as mechanized infantry and tactical bombers that make it’s way into Pacific and Europe.

• Well this is an opinion of course. I got into A&A about a year ago. By that time, I had several choices for the “main game”. Pacific (both versions) for example is an offshoot that doesnt include the complete traditional A&A global territory. For me, I wanted a “complete” game first, and then I might branch out to one of the “subgames”.

My choices (when was I ready to purchase) where the 1984 edition, the revised (2004) edition, 1942 and the 50th Anniversary Edition. I am very badly colorblind. The 1984 map that my friend would bring over confused me (during the learning stages) because the UK and neutral territories look the same color to me. So for me it was very important that the map had distinctive coloring, so no 1984 edition. Also, it looked a bit cartoony.

But I also wanted it to be pretty, so no Anniversary edition. I didnt care for the paint shop pro generated image it appeared to be. Hopefully I dont get bricks thrown at me for saying that.

The 1942 edition seem to have a lot stigmas associated with it, primarily because of a lack of physical IPCs. To be honest, I never really gave this game a chance because so many folks were dissing it. However, the map is actually fairly pretty. It’s possible that 1942 is lame (I’ve never played it), or maybe it just got a bad start because of the dissing like a failed MMO launch.

I really liked the look of the Revised edition map. It’s very easy to distinctively see everything, and everyone just had good stuff to say about it. Ironicly, the map itself is probably the only problem. The 6way folding nature of it makes is a bit fragile. They did this to reduce the box size for a number of reasons. I prefer a larger box so I can stow plastic bins for all the pieces. I love this version of the game, so I’m real pleased with it. Whereas I felt the 1984 version was slanted in favor of the Allies because of the easy access to France,I felt this game tipped it back towards the Axis with 3/3 tanks and lot’s more zones.

A&A Pacific 1940 cant really be compared to these others versions of the game because it’s not the same arena. However, I will tell you a ton of thought (and complexity) has gone into it as compared with the other versions I’ve played. The detail, scale and materials quality is quite a bit higher as well. It comes off as an $80 game to me. In my growing experience, who is winning seems to flip from round to round, making it a much enjoyable experience.

• cheers for the help guys :-) and thank you very much Xayd74 for the in depth look at the differences in boards and the review, very much appreciated

Jeremy

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '10

@Xayd74:

Well this is an opinion of course. I got into A&A about a year ago. By that time, I had several choices for the “main game”. Pacific (both versions) for example is an offshoot that doesnt include the complete traditional A&A global territory. For me, I wanted a “complete” game first, and then I might branch out to one of the “subgames”.

My choices (when was I ready to purchase) where the 1984 edition, the revised (2004) edition, 1942 and the 50th Anniversary Edition. I am very badly colorblind. The 1984 map that my friend would bring over confused me (during the learning stages) because the UK and neutral territories look the same color to me. So for me it was very important that the map had distinctive coloring, so no 1984 edition. Also, it looked a bit cartoony.

The map you have posted is not the real map for the Anniversary Edition.

In fact it is closer to the look of the 1942 version just larger and more territories.

Sean

But I also wanted it to be pretty, so no Anniversary edition. I didnt care for the paint shop pro generated image it appeared to be. Hopefully I dont get bricks thrown at me for saying that.

The 1942 edition seem to have a lot stigmas associated with it, primarily because of a lack of physical IPCs. To be honest, I never really gave this game a chance because so many folks were dissing it. However, the map is actually fairly pretty. It’s possible that 1942 is lame (I’ve never played it), or maybe it just got a bad start because of the dissing like a failed MMO launch.

I really liked the look of the Revised edition map. It’s very easy to distinctively see everything, and everyone just had good stuff to say about it. Ironicly, the map itself is probably the only problem. The 6way folding nature of it makes is a bit fragile. They did this to reduce the box size for a number of reasons. I prefer a larger box so I can stow plastic bins for all the pieces. I love this version of the game, so I’m real pleased with it. Whereas I felt the 1984 version was slanted in favor of the Allies because of the easy access to France,I felt this game tipped it back towards the Axis with 3/3 tanks and lot’s more zones.

A&A Pacific 1940 cant really be compared to these others versions of the game because it’s not the same arena. However, I will tell you a ton of thought (and complexity) has gone into it as compared with the other versions I’ve played. The detail, scale and materials quality is quite a bit higher as well. It comes off as an $80 game to me. In my growing experience, who is winning seems to flip from round to round, making it a much enjoyable experience.

• @Xayd74:

Ummmm……  Not really throwing a brick, but you’re kidding about that being the Anniversary edition map, right?  The Anni edition map is the same backdrop as the AA42 map, with more territories.  You do realize that, right?  I hope.  Cause that’s not even IL’s finalized map, and it probably is paint shop pro generated to print for those who can’t afford or find the real thing anymore.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '10

@kcdzim:

@Xayd74:

Ummmm……  Not really throwing a brick, but you’re kidding about that being the Anniversary edition map, right?  The Anni edition map is the same backdrop as the AA42 map, with more territories.  You do realize that, right?  I hope.  Cause that’s not even IL’s finalized map, and it probably is paint shop pro generated to print for those who can’t afford or find the real thing anymore.

What he said but my typing didn’t take or something on my above quote.

Sean

• @F1fan:

Hey guys

I own all the Axis and allies games and have decide to pick up A&A 1942 and A&A pacific 1940, Is pacific a updated version of the original pacific, and why is a&a spring 1942 so cheap? its at my game shop for $35 canadian and pacific is $80

thanks guys

Jeremy

1942 includes:

• Map (smaller than Pacific)
    • 370 Units (no boxes for them)
    • Dice
    • Battlestrip
    • Deployment cards

Pacific 1940 includes:

• Map
    • 450 Units + 5 storage boxes
    • Boxes with the initial deployment written on them
    • Battlestrip
    • Dice
    • National Production Chart

Now compare with Anniversary (cost a bit more than Pacific, 100 USD or something):

• Map (larger than the 2 others)
    • 600 Units & 8 storage boxes
    • Deployment charts
    • National Production & Tech Chart
    • Battleboard (bigger than the battlestrip)
    • Paper money
    • Dice

• @kcdzim:

Well no wonder it looked so corny! No I wasnt kidding. When I was doing all my map searching of the various editions, I was mighty confused by all the various renditions of what appeared to be the same game, not to mention all the fan generated maps. With no one to help me, I did conclude this was the Anniversary Edition map. If the AE and 1942 effectively had the same map, I must not have realized the distinction.

Since we’re helping me clear up this misunderstanding, can someone with the AE detail how the map folds an it’s dimensions? I mean is it like the 6way revised edition or more like P1940? I saw this picture that I believe is correct…

It looks a bit like 3 double folding gameboards, which I would definitely prefer. Also, the 1984 edition box is large whereas the 2004 revised is much smaller. What is the size of the AE? I realize that question may be a tall order because someone would have to have all 3! And finally, is there a downside to the AE? I think I might just pick it up if it meets my criteria.

• It is 3 double-folding gameboards. Been some complaints of warping owing to this design and someone suggested those plastic slip-on bindings kids used to use for school reports before the whole world went digital. (you know the kind that look sort of like a C if viewed from one end)

As you can see from your pic, Egyptian infantry seems to have a bit of a faultline to straddle!

• @allboxcars:

It is 3 double-folding gameboards. Been some complaints of warping owing to this design and someone suggested those plastic slip-on bindings kids used to use for school reports before the whole world went digital. (you know the kind that look sort of like a C if viewed from one end)

As you can see from your pic, Egyptian infantry seems to have a bit of a faultline to straddle!

It’s not technically “folding”.  It’s 3 seperate game boards that you align together, and the board can slip apart.  The binding clips hold the boards together.

• @kcdzim:

It’s not technically “folding”.  It’s 3 seperate game boards that you align together, and the board can slip apart.  The binding clips hold the boards together.

My bad. You’re right. I could’ve sworn mine folded in half latitudinally around the middle somewhere… Lord, I need more coffee

• @allboxcars:

@kcdzim:

My bad. You’re right. I could’ve sworn mine folded in half latitudinally around the middle somewhere… Lord, I need more coffee

Or another beer to forget about the matter ;)

• @Hobbes:

@allboxcars:

@kcdzim:

hmmm enough beer and I’ll be folding in half latitudinally around the middle somewhere… and probably never unfolding

• @allboxcars:

@Hobbes:

@allboxcars:

@kcdzim:

hmmm enough beer and I’ll be folding in half latitudinally around the middle somewhere… and probably never unfolding

But on the other hand coffee stains on the board are harder to remove than spilled beer…

• So the AE boards dont fold at all? They just like up next to each other?
    What are the dimensions of the boards?
    And of the box?

I went ahead and tried those black and sliver binding clips on the P1940 board. Yes, they did create a very minor impression, but it’s very slight.

Edit: Hmm, nevermind. I just checked out pricing on the AE. It looks like if I parted with only $250 I would be lucky. Game came out less than 2 years ago too! And this is why I’m buying P1940 and E1940 immediately. If the games are going to cost $70 or $80 when they’re brand new and in print, just imagine what they’ll cost when they’re out of print! Which btw seems to always happen 1 yr after release.

I remember when I bought Civilization, Adv Civ and Western Expansion at a game shop for $80, I felt a bit ripped off. That must have been 15 or 20 years ago. Now I look that stuff up and you’d have to part with $400 for them. I pretty much figured out then that I’d have to buy Avalon Hill games upon release or suffer the consequences. It absolutely blew my mind that Adv Civ is that good and AH never put it back into print. WTH?

• @Xayd74:

WTH?

It was a limited edition/printing.  There’s a constant petition for a rerelease.  Any copy you find now is either used or mint and either way, it’s a collectors item.  I got lucky in that I started playing a couple weeks before anni was released, so when I got it it wasn’t any big thing at the time, but now I’m very happy I got in when I did.

• hey guys, thanks for all the replies. I just picked up AA42 and AAPacific 1940, the aa 42 board is a little small ( comapred to the anniv. edition and pacific 40 )

Now I need to start coming here to catch up on things in the world of AA :-P

I have a question though, Its possible to have games with other members over the net right? I see there is a forum here on that subject? ( sorry I haven’t really read too much on that yet ) exactly how does that work? you just email your moves back and forth? or use a instant messenger of some sort? again I will read more on this as I go but maybe somebody can give me a general idea on how its done?

Also I asked a question a few years ago here asking if there is a way to play by yourself, like working on strategy and such but was wondering again if there is a way to play by yourself using a pc program that can generate moves? I guess thats what a pc strategy game is for huh?,lol :-P

Thanks again

Jeremy

• There was a PC game for the original that was released about 15 years ago. It was cool but the AI was really shoddy and easy to beat. Also the program has numerous bugs and crashed quite a bit. As far as playing here on the web, I believe that there is an actual program that you download, and it has a map that you email back and forth to the person you are playing. It also uses a dice generator for rolling, or you can do manual rolls I think too. I have never used this site’s game forum myself, but have used another and that is what it did.

• http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki/Forum

go there for games “like” Axis and Allies.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m