Might as well ask you guys about– LED flashlights.

• In the market for some new flashlights. I’d prefer some compact LED ones but there are so many. I’m looking for something that can do the lighting job of my 3D cell Mag lite but weighs and takes up space more like my 2 AA Maglite.

Any forum members have experience with these new fangled LED lights?

Prefereably under $50 ones, that come with a holster/pouch of some sort.

• Do you need that for stalking Natalie Portman? :-D

• I don’t have any experience with LED flashlights in the range you are looking for, all my experience has been with smaller ones. With those I can say I have been quite satisfied as the LEDs use so much less power than regular bulbs the batter life difference is quite great.

• @Brain:

Do you need that for stalking Natalie Portman? :-D

:lol:

I have a lovely girlfriend so no don’t need it for that.

I hope I’ve always known where the fine line between presistence and stalking was and stayed on the proper side of it.

@a44bigdog:

I don’t have any experience with LED flashlights in the range you are looking for, all my experience has been with smaller ones. With those I can say I have been quite satisfied as the LEDs use so much less power than regular bulbs the batter life difference is quite great.

So you’ve basically used the ones you find on the racks near the checkout? Most of those fall in my ‘cheap enough to give a shot’ category but I’ve already got the ‘devil I know’ with my Mag Lites. I keep coming across lights like this one.

So you have that light making 200 unfocused lumens for only 3 hours as opposed to a 3D Mag making only 76 lumens but for 3 times as long.

The Mag weighs about 6 times more (making it a weapon though)for half the money (or no money in my case already owning one.)  :|

• Those would be the kind frimmel. I had a cheap one I got from AutoZone for a buck or two that lasted for about 3 or 4 years until about 6 hours of continuous use killed the battery while working in an unlighted basement.

My girlfriend has one that runs off of a single AAA battery. It is nowhere near the intensity or I would suspect price of what you linked to. I would say its light level is about that of a standard old 2 C cell flashlight. I know she uses it every night for about 15 minutes and has for a year or so without changing batteries.

My advice would be to get something in a lumen level comparable to what you already have and see how the battery life, etc. works for you. There are always rechargeable batteries to consider as well, which of course could also be done with the good old Mag. I know the smaller ones that are similar in light levels to the mini Mags do last a lot longer, and in my opinion that was one of the weaknesses of the minis, they had very nice light levels and were quite easy to carry but ate batteries rather quick.

• Yeah, I’m trying to find something for the backpack I carry everywhere and really want my big mag but it is impractical to tote around. I’m guessing I’ll just pick up something that fits the $$$ range and give it a shot.

• What do you use your light for?  Just in case?  Work?

I have a hand pump LED that isn’t too bad.  I have it for extreme emergencies when I know I’ll need a light.  I have a couple of other standard flashlights.

Other than that I find I use my cell phone most of the time (like finding something I just dropped in the dark), even though I don’t have a model with an actual light on it.  If it’s dark enough, it’s usually enough light.

• Go Caveman, light a torch.  8-)

Everyone have a great weekend!

• Proctologists sometimes sell their used flashlights. :-D

• @Jermofoot:

What do you use your light for?  Just in case?  Work?

Mostly for just in case. I have a mini-mag (1AAA) on a ring with my swiss army knife but I’m on the tenth floor away from the fire escape/stairs at work and want something for even if the power goes out, as I don’t have a lot of confidence in the building’s emergency lighting.

I could probably keep something ‘cheap’ in the desk but if I need it I’m going to NEED it and want something good.

I’m also trying to get some ‘bug out’ gear together and I’m working under the assumption anything I’ll have to run from will end up at some point being literal running on foot and want to be mindful of weight and space.

• @frimmel:

@Jermofoot:

What do you use your light for?  Just in case?  Work?

Mostly for just in case. I have a mini-mag (1AAA) on a ring with my swiss army knife but I’m on the tenth floor away from the fire escape/stairs at work and want something for even if the power goes out, as I don’t have a lot of confidence in the building’s emergency lighting.

I could probably keep something ‘cheap’ in the desk but if I need it I’m going to NEED it and want something good.

I’m also trying to get some ‘bug out’ gear together and I’m working under the assumption anything I’ll have to run from will end up at some point being literal running on foot and want to be mindful of weight and space.

Sounds like you are preparing for the zombie invasion.

• Zombies, climate change, pandemics, and civil war don’t seem so far fetched these days.

What’s worse is fewer and fewer people look at you like you’re paranoid when you say you’re setting some stuff up for a crisis.

• I agree with everything you said, except for the part about the zombies

• hey long time no see.  :-)

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm/pid_943_streamlight_4aa_pro_polymer_led_light_with_7_led_bulbs/

Here’s the only filashlight I will ever buy again.  Shop around The Fire Store doesn’t always have the best prices.

I’m a firefighter and I have a mount that attaches that to my helmet.  It’s the only light I have found that can cut through the smoke.

Don’t get discouraged if you use it during the day.  It looks like the battries are dying.  But when it’s dark its awesome.  Its brighter then the box lights my department buys.

LT

• Thanks Lt, I hadn’t come across lights from those guys yet.

That Firestore site is pretty neat.

• '19 Moderator

155 hours that is more like what I was thinking from an LED.  Definately the way to got for battery life.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m