Why is AA42 being hated by everyone? I just bought a copy. Sigh.

• Hehe - +1 to you for sticking up for your point and backing it up.  I like it.
    +1 to Krieg for being our nice A&A answer guy.  He’s so helpful.

• @saltz:

I’m a completely new AA player. I just bought AA42, and am seeing people don’t like it very much.
    By the way, what the hell is with the empty space in the box?  i lift up the map, rulebook etc, and under it is a huge box of nothing.  Most of the space inside the box is wasted. AM I MISSING SOMETHING?  is something supposed to be there? Because it’s covered up nicely as well, giving me the impression something didn’t get shipped properly…

My classic game is exactly the same.  I was wondering why they wasted half the space.  It takes up twice as much room in my closet as it needs.  I’ve always thought they’re trying to make it look like you’re getting more for your $$.
    I’m a big fan of research & development in A&A (aka “tech”), so if all I had was this 1942 game, I would go on-line (if you don’t know the tech rules already) and use tech rules.  I believe I speak for many when I say, “if it ain’t got tech, it ain’t A&A”  This is one major reason people “don’t like it very much” (AA42).  The biggest reason is because we have AA50, and we’re looking forward to AAP and AAE.  If you can eat steak, why go back to hamburgers?

• Official Q&A

Oh, I see what you’re saying, Tekkyy.  You’re talking about more of a reference sheet or player aid than a rulebook.  Yeah, I think four pages would cover it.

• Yeah 4 pages would make it approachable. It’ll be almost as quick as teaching people Settlers of Catan.

I like AA1942. (credit to AA50 rules team) It nicely dealt with some of the main undesired situations AAR house rules wanted to resolve.

transport fodder
    sub stall
    SBR bleed
    flat SBR defense

It came with a price cut too (I think, RRP $65 vs. $80 in Australia) while improving unit pieces. Nice.
    Plenty of board games at this price point only give you cubes and rectangles to represent whatever.

@tekkyy:

but there are probably copyright issues seeing the TripleA open source project got hurt

Which is a Major load of Legal Bull Shet.  Triplea Was the best thing since Sliced bread. Got a new computer and went to DL it, and found the Letter from Hasbro.  I almost cried. Tried Dl’ing from Media Fire. Not happening, I think I felt a tear.  :cry:

If any body Knows how to Down load it, Please, please, Let me Know

Thanks

• If you go through the forums on triplea you can find a link to the files still (at least I did) that users posted

although there is still no running lobby.  :x

• Krieghund, is AA1942 using AA50 rules exactly?

or are you making a comparison table like the one you made for AA50 vs. LHTR vs. Revised ?

• Official Q&A

Other than obvious things (Italy, China, turn order), the only real difference is in how new units that can’t be placed are treated.  In Anniversary they remained in the Mobilization Zone until they could be placed.  In '42, you get a cash refund for them.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 '13 '11 '10

The real difference for me is in the sculpts.
    I don´t understand why they use the same sculpts, but they
    aren´t as crisp and fine-cut as AE50.
    Is there really any money-making in cutting that small corner?
    I mean it´s obviously the same sculpt…why not do it right?

• Cool, Krieghund. Thats great.
    Besides the four I noted, also like the 1-to-1 bombardment and reduced carrier defense.
    (I am a bit slow. Haven’t touched on the game for months and only catching up on AA50 rules now.)

Would be nice if someone owning AAR, AA50, and AA1942 can take some photo with units side by side.
    I am hearing conflicting reports about AA1942’s sculpt quality lol.

• Official Q&A

This is the first time that I’ve heard anyone say that the Anniversary pieces are superior to the '42 ones.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 '13 '11 '10

I think AE is superior in their details  :-)
    But a lot of AE ship-bottoms (?) was uneven.

I have painted both revised and AE and when I look at ´42 they all
    seem blurred.

Example;
    the US bomber has some doors/hatches/whatever just behind the wings
    and it is clear to see in AE but ´42 it is just a blur on the sides.

I don´t know if Capt.Kiwi bought ´42 and is reading this. Then I would like his opinion.
    Or anyone else who has painted  :-)

It is not the end of the world I just don´t understand why.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m