Simple question: is the game balanced?

• Customizer

@bugoo:

Actually the odds are better than 58, that is without the bomber at egypt.

Kar - G: 3 inf, 1 art, 3 fig, 1 cruiser bombard vs R: 5 inf, 1 art, 1 AA gun = 78% odds typically 3 units left
    Egypt - G: 2 inf, 1 art, 2 arm vs B: 2 inf, 1 art, 1 arm, 1 fig = 90% odds typically 3 units left
    SZ 2 - G: 2 sub, 1 fig vs B: 1 BB = 83% odds typically 1 unit left
    Baltic - G: 3 inf, 1 art, 1 arm vs R: 3 inf = 95% typically 3 units left
    Poland - G: 2 inf, 4 arm vs R: 2 inf = 98% odds typically 5 units left
    Ukraine - G: 2 inf, 1 art, 1 arm vs R: 2 inf = 98% odds typically 3 units left

Now those are pretty good odds, but with the small number of units anything can happen.  Baltic/Poland/Ukraine if you loose you were gonna loose anyway, and it still sets up the can opener for G2.  Provided you do not get diced hard in any of the fights, you should win, esp when your collecting 50+ IPC to spend on G2.  And of course, J1 can get dicey too, I’ve seen the pearl fight go south before, or the DD at india destroy 2 figs, etc.  Typically if J looses 2 figs on J1 and the DD at pearl your alright as allies, if they loose no figs, or keep the DD, it can get ugly real fast.  Same with the 3 inf vs 1 inf fights if they take that route in china.  Playing with dice though, I see no reason not to play to win on turn 1 with axis, the odds are in your favor.  Also, even when the dice do bite you, many allied players get too aggressive in there counter attacks on turn 1 making it hard for them to hit in force in the mid game.

Actually the odds are worse.  Although each of your 5 battles has very good odds individually, the odds of you winning ALL 5 of those battles is just 53% (multiply all your odds together as decimals).  And i do not know how you got those odd for Egypt, because 5 germany units vs 5 uk units = 41% win, not 90%

For a few other kinds of openings:

My Heavy without Karelia:
    Seazone 2 (1sub,1bomb,1ftr): 95%
    Seazone 6 (1sub, 1ftr): 92%
    Seazone 12 (1sub, 2ftr): 86%
    Baltic States (1bombard, 5inf, 2art, 1tank): 100%
    East Poland (1inf, 3tank): 98%
    Ukraine (2inf, 1art, 2tank): 99%
    Egypt (2inf, 1art, 2tank): 34% win + 7% no uk left = 41% (this attack is optional)
    Chance of winning all without doing Egypt: 72% (<- a strong opening without NOs)
    Chance of winning all with Egypt: 30%

My Risky with Egypt, without Karelia:
    Seazone 2 (2sub,1ftr): 83%
    Seazone 12 (2ftr): 50% win + 15% no enemy left = 65% (optional attack)
    Egypt (2inf, 1art, 2tank, 1bomber): 75% win + 5% no uk left = 80%
    Chance of winning all without doing sz12: 59% (<- a strong opening with NOs)
    Chance of winning all with sz12: 38%

Super Risky with Egypt and Karelia:
    Seazone 6 (1sub): 40% win + 20% no units left = 60%
    Karelia (1bombard, 3inf, 1art, 3ftrs) = 78% chance (ftrs: if you lose zero you have 89% chance winning, lose 1 ftr you have 68% chance winning, lose 2 ftr you have 35% chance)
    Baltic States (4inf, 1art, 1tank): 98%
    East Poland (1inf, 4tank): 99%
    Ukraine (2inf, 1art, 1tank): 97%
    Chance of winning all without doing sz6: 49%
    Chance of winning all with sz6: 29%

IL’s Not Risky without Karelia and Abandon Africa:
    Ukraine (pulling 1inf and 1tank from africa: 3inf, 1art, 2tank): 100%
    Chance of winning all: 74% (<- Strong opening with or without NOs, though Italy will never get its NOs)

I believe that is pretty much all 4 different openings with Germany that people use, subject to slight modifications and subject to what you decide to buy as germany.

• @bugoo:

Kar - G: 3 inf, 1 art, 3 fig, 1 cruiser bombard vs R: 5 inf, 1 art, 1 AA gun = 78% odds typically 3 units left
    Egypt - G: 2 inf, 1 art, 2 arm vs B: 2 inf, 1 art, 1 arm, 1 fig = 90% odds typically 3 units left

I wasnt saying it was the individual odds for Egypt, i was talking about ALL 3 succeeding in the same game. Basic odds maths state that you have to multiply the odds for each of the individual battles as decimals to get the odds for a all out success.

For youre 6 attacks G1 the odds for all beeing successfull would be:
    0.78 x 0.90 x 0.83 x 0.95 x 0.98 x 0.98 = 0.53 = 53% chance of success. Remember these numbers just state its a 53% chance you will win ALL 6 battles with at least 1 remaining unit after the battle. But thats a crappy result if you only have 1 unit left in each of them, so if you want the typical result as you type after in each battle the odds would probably be around 10% even though i havent calced those. I know a lot dont have the statistical background, but these considerations are very much important to take into consideration to make a good strategy in a dice game like AA50. Off the board the Axis looks so very powerfull before turn 1, but doing around 20 attacks combined for all the axis turn 1 will make one or more attacks fail and then again lead to an opening for the Allies to exploit.

Offcourse an all out offensive every game will lead to a round where everything is successfull and you will almost decide the game in turn 1. But this is not a versatile approach that will make you win games on a consistent basis. I would try to come up with an opening where you with a high chance will stand so strong that whatever the dices throw at you, you will still be in position to win the game.

• forgot to list the bomber at egypt =)

What would the odds be on how many fights would go bad, like for example, if 53% of the time i will win all 6, how often would i win 5, or 4, or 3?  Or how badly I would loose them?  Because if I lost Kar but got all other 5 I would still be happy.  I’m not trying to be argumentative i’m just bad with statistics and curious.  I normally play LL anyway.

• Customizer

@bugoo:

forgot to list the bomber at egypt =)

What would the odds be on how many fights would go bad, like for example, if 53% of the time i will win all 6, how often would i win 5, or 4, or 3?  Or how badly I would loose them?  Because if I lost Kar but got all other 5 I would still be happy.  I’m not trying to be argumentative i’m just bad with statistics and curious.  I normally play LL anyway.

If you include the bomber, you chance of winning OR eliminating all units in Egypt is = 80%, so that total for you would be 47%, not 53%.
    I’m guessing the chances for winning 5 would be around 35, winning 4 around 15, winning 3 around 2.5%, winning 2 around 0.4, winning 1 around 0.1.
    I’m not willing to do the math right now, but I do want to do it at some point.

Ok, so using NCn = N!/(n!(N-n)!), we find that
    there is only 1 way to win them all,
    6 ways to only win 5,
    15 ways to only win 4
    20 ways to only win 3
    15 ways to only win 2
    6 ways to only win 1
    1 ways to lose them all

Odds = P = {.78 , .80 , .83 , .95 , .98 , .98}
    Q = 1 - P = { .22 , .20 , .17 , .05 , .02 , .02}

Matrix that shit….
    etc. etc.
    do the rest tomorrow

• Thanks mate, because in all honesty if the odds came down to -

47% of winning all 6
    75ish of winning 5, i still feel it would be worth it.  Even if you lost one of the big three, your still in a strong position and can simply take fewer risks with Japan’s turn.  Because even if you loose against the BB, or Egypt, or Kar it wouldn’t be a game ender, now if you lost 2 of them, well that would be bad.  Now I guess the question would be, how much of an advantage or disadvantage you would have if you lost one of those, or two of those.

• migth happen i did wrong on the calculator, but read my last post again bogoo, thats 47% that you win all battles with 1 - ONE - 1 unit minimum. Thats NOT a good place to be. What you want is to decide how many units you need to be left with after turn 1, then calc the odds for that to happen and see if thats a situation you want to be in. For example you want all youre 6 armors on the eastern front alive. You want at least 3fgters and bomber alive, and you preferably want to take Egypt with at least 1 armor. Along with that you want enough inf on the eastern front to make sure you can trade territories for youre 2nd NO wihtout have to use armors to trade those territorries. Again go and check the league and tournament G1 turns and you will see almost if not everyone do a more conservative G1 as on a consistent basis you will not have enough units left after G1 if you do that opening.

• Customizer

I view taking Karelia turn 1 in 1941 as very inadvisable.  Yes, it is basically 78% chance to win, with an average of 3 units left… but you are attacking with 3 ftrs, so that means you either lose a ftr and keep karelia, or you merely destroy his stack.  Also, you have a 55% chance of losing at least 1 ftr out of 3 from the AA gun (no, it is not 50%, it is 55%, statistics is fun!)

• Interesting debate about openings here, but I really don’t see that much variation for the German opening. Egypt attack is such a good thing IPC-wise for Germany that they would be foolish not to. An 80% attack giving loads of IPCs in Africa while at the same time robbing UK of a fighter, an NO and loads of African IPCs…  :roll:

Japan though is another case since you’ll be attacking against destroyers with fighters, so that’s more random. Attacking the Indian fleet seems a must, but the West coast fleet could be forgone maybe. I’m also very ambivalent about invading Burma or not on turn 1, it sets up against India nicely but might upset your other moves. Maybe it’s Japan who should be dealt a low-risk opening?

• Good question about low risk Japan opening Lynxes. But does it matter as much as with Germany?

How is Japan’s high risk opening punished? The Russians and Brits in Europe have the foundations of a powerful attack force which can be rallied against a reckless Germany. Who’s there in the pacific to punish the Japanese?

• Lynxes: my german opening now is never Egypt turn 1. Reason beeing on turn im 110% sure to take it HARD with enough forces to make sure i get all the african IPCs at least for a few turns. What i do is taking Ukraine hard with 4armors, and shuffle units to Lib turn 1. Italy either shore bombard Egypt to soften it if he stacks it hard (z35 dd survived and he moved 2 indian units there) or take Egypt if he stacked Persia / TrJ. Then on turn 2 i fetch 2 more units from Ukraine to Egypt and now i have a solid african corps that can hold africa for a much longer time suplemented with the Italian reinforcements.

• @Veqryn:

@bugoo:

Now those are pretty good odds, but with the small number of units anything can happen.  Baltic/Poland/Ukraine if you loose you were gonna loose anyway, and it still sets up the can opener for G2.  Provided you do not get diced hard in any of the fights, you should win, esp when your collecting 50+ IPC to spend on G2.  And of course, J1 can get dicey too, I’ve seen the pearl fight go south before, or the DD at india destroy 2 figs, etc.  Typically if J looses 2 figs on J1 and the DD at pearl your alright as allies, if they loose no figs, or keep the DD, it can get ugly real fast.  Same with the 3 inf vs 1 inf fights if they take that route in china.  Playing with dice though, I see no reason not to play to win on turn 1 with axis, the odds are in your favor.  Also, even when the dice do bite you, many allied players get too aggressive in there counter attacks on turn 1 making it hard for them to hit in force in the mid game.

Actually the odds are worse.  Although each of your 5 battles has very good odds individually, the odds of you winning ALL 5 of those battles is just 53% (multiply all your odds together as decimals).  And i do not know how you got those odd for Egypt, because 5 germany units vs 5 uk units = 41% win, not 90%

For a few other kinds of openings:

My Heavy without Karelia:
    Egypt (2inf, 1art, 2tank): 34% win + 7% no uk left = 41% (this attack is optional)
    Chance of winning all without doing Egypt: 72% (<- a strong opening without NOs)
    Chance of winning all with Egypt: 30%

My Risky with Egypt, without Karelia:
    Seazone 12 (2ftr): 50% win + 15% no enemy left = 65% (optional attack)
    Chance of winning all without doing sz12: 59% (<- a strong opening with NOs)
    Chance of winning all with sz12: 38%

Super Risky with Egypt and Karelia:
    Seazone 6 (1sub): 40% win + 20% no units left = 60%
    Karelia (1bombard, 3inf, 1art, 3ftrs) = 78% chance (50% chance you will lose 1 ftr, 5.56% chance you will lose 2, 0.5% chance you will lose 3.  [55.1% chance you will lose at least 1 ftr], if you lose zero you have 89% chance winning, lose 1 ftr you have 68% chance winning, lose 2 ftr you have 35% chance)
    Baltic States (4inf, 1art, 1tank): 98%
    Ukraine (2inf, 1art, 1tank): 97%
    Chance of winning all without doing sz6: 49%
    Chance of winning all with sz6: 29%

IL’s Not Risky without Karelia and Abandon Africa:
    Ukraine (pulling 1inf and 1tank from africa: 3inf, 1art, 2tank): 100%
    Chance of winning all: 74% (<- Strong opening with or without NOs, though Italy will never get its NOs)

I believe that is pretty much all 4 different openings with Germany that people use, subject to slight modifications and subject to what you decide to buy as germany.

great post.  While those are certainly some of my common opening moves, I have a couple high risk ones that throw a solo bomber in SZ 9.
    Example:
    SZ6: 1 fig 1 sub (92%)
    SZ2: 2 sub 1 fig (83%)
    SZ9: 1 bomb (75%)
    SZ12: 2 fig (50%)
    Egy: 2 inf, 1 art, 2 arm (34% win + 7% no uk left = 41%)
    Baltic States: 4 inf, 2 art, 1 crusier bomb (99%)
    East Poland: 2 inf, 3 Arm (99%)
    Ukraine: 3 Inf, Arm, 1 Art (99%)

A 56% chance not counting SZ 12 or Egy, a 28% chance of complete success not counting Egypt, 10% chance with taking Egypt, and a 12% chance of clearing all Egy units.

• /Pin

Not attacking EGY G1 is an Indian IC waiting to happen. UK gets at least 1 arm+1fig to India, and if the Russians send 4 inf and UK transfers 2 figs from Europe you could end up with as much as 7 inf, 1 art, 4 arm, 3 figs in India turn 3… Most assumptions on an Indian IC not being viable are based on a German attack on Egypt and I certainly think it looks different otherwise.

• Ah, and the India IC means Japanese IC’s on East Indies and Borneo.  Which also means Japan doesn’t have to spend for one on India.

Which also means for England to support the India IC, Germany gets a free ride all the way to Moscow.

I personally welcome the India IC, but that is just me.

• @Octopus:

Ah, and the India IC means Japanese IC’s on East Indies and Borneo.  Which also means Japan doesn’t have to spend for one on India.

Which also means for England to support the India IC, Germany gets a free ride all the way to Moscow.

I personally welcome the India IC, but that is just me.

I would imagine somewhat of a US pacific naval presence mixed with the UK bomber and maybe an American bomber could make this a non optimal position for Japan.  In theory the UK should be making an adequate amount for a 2 front war, meaning they are putting up a worthwhile delay of Japan (otherwise the IC is worthless) as well as the US being able to hold 2 fronts.

Even if this isn’t the case I feel the attack on Egypt is a must.  If you can clear it, there is a great chance Japan can clear all the UK units in central Asia T2, no matter what the UK does (unless Russia makes a heavy commitment in Persia), this can put a thorn in the allies that is extremly difficult to recover from most times.

• @Lynxes:

/Pin

Not attacking EGY G1 is an Indian IC waiting to happen. UK gets at least 1 arm+1fig to India, and if the Russians send 4 inf and UK transfers 2 figs from Europe you could end up with as much as 7 inf, 1 art, 4 arm, 3 figs in India turn 3… Most assumptions on an Indian IC not being viable are based on a German attack on Egypt and I certainly think it looks different otherwise.

"Edit, you wont get the armor to India, it will only get to Persia round 1, so for a Round 2 attack by japan setup correctly you will have:

4inf (2from sum 2from brn), 2inf 1art (what remains from Burma attack, if you loose 1inf in the attack thats 1inf 1art), 3fgters from FIC, 2fgters from z37 (those 2 attacked dd in z35 so 1 might be dead)

this leaves us with an attakcking force on India with at least: 5inf 1art 4fgters, with good possiblitiy for another inf and fgter.

This is up against 7inf 1art 1fgter unless Russia reinforce MORE then 4inf.

Again, the Burma attack i will only do if Russia moves those infs and “fake” and IC build. This cost me the attack on Fuk and Kwa, but makes Hupeh more likely to succeed. Alternativly i will still do Kwa and just attack burma with 1inf 1art and hope thats enough."

–-----

If i see 4 russian inf move towards india T1, i setup a IC in FIC turn 1, and also make my moves so i have enough firepower to take India turn 2 if needed, turn 3 latest, without anyway for UK or russia to prevent it unless russia sends armors there turn 2 aswell. If they do that GG, Germany will win the war for the axis. The UK IC means less money spent to land units in Europe, and even though japan doesnt take it, it only means UK will keep building units every turn in India to make sure he holds it, will never be able to utilize those troops.

Unless you go a risky opening turn 1 with both Ger and Jap and fails an UK IC anywhere (might be a  slight exception with Saf) is a total failure and will most likely cost the allies the game if they use resources to keep it. As this means not enough pressure on Germany from the west, and germany can use all its force to crush Russia (russia can never withstand Germany all alone, she needs at least a decent threath on the other front to make her hold her ground)

• @Pin:

@Lynxes:

/Pin

"Edit, you wont get the armor to India, it will only get to Persia round 1, so for a Round 2 attack by japan setup correctly you will have:

4inf (2from sum 2from brn), 2inf 1art (what remains from Burma attack, if you loose 1inf in the attack thats 1inf 1art), 3fgters from FIC, 2fgters from z37 (those 2 attacked dd in z35 so 1 might be dead)

this leaves us with an attakcking force on India with at least: 5inf 1art 4fgters, with good possiblitiy for another inf and fgter.

This is up against 7inf 1art 1fgter unless Russia reinforce MORE then 4inf.

Again, the Burma attack i will only do if Russia moves those infs and “fake” and IC build. This cost me the attack on Fuk and Kwa, but makes Hupeh more likely to succeed. Alternativly i will still do Kwa and just attack burma with 1inf 1art and hope thats enough."

–-----

If i see 4 russian inf move towards india T1, i setup a IC in FIC turn 1, and also make my moves so i have enough firepower to take India turn 2 if needed, turn 3 latest, without anyway for UK or russia to prevent it unless russia sends armors there turn 2 aswell. If they do that GG, Germany will win the war for the axis. The UK IC means less money spent to land units in Europe, and even though japan doesnt take it, it only means UK will keep building units every turn in India to make sure he holds it, will never be able to utilize those troops.

Unless you go a risky opening turn 1 with both Ger and Jap and fails an UK IC anywhere (might be a  slight exception with Saf) is a total failure and will most likely cost the allies the game if they use resources to keep it. As this means not enough pressure on Germany from the west, and germany can use all its force to crush Russia (russia can never withstand Germany all alone, she needs at least a decent threath on the other front to make her hold her ground)

Right an India IC is kind of a T3 buy for me if I decide on it with the UK.  It really hurts Japan though as It can not take and hold India T1 or 2 if the armor and fighter survive (especially compounded if the UK has a bomber down there).  It becomes very difficult to get enough pressure down there quickly.  Japan has to be careful with India.  You can risk buying it on T1, but you ought to know it will not come into use untill T3, as Japan can take it at will on T2.

• thing is you will never win a game vs a decent opponent with a India IC in AA40 unless there was wacky dices somewhere. Its just not possible in this game. Ofc there is several instances where dices will make it profitable and maybe optimal to place an IC there, but thats not the issue if Germany not attack Egypt T1(they still have to shuffle units to africa though). A horrible failed Egypt T1 attack by germany might be a situation where it will be profitable, or even more so if japanese fails z35 turn1.

Thats whats so dynamic about this game, there is no standard response that will allways work for the allies, they have to adopt to where the dices was whacky turn one by the axis attacks, or respond to a conservative T1 by the axis.

• @Pin:

thing is you will never win a game vs a decent opponent with a India IC in AA40 unless there was wacky dices somewhere.

You can in 1942 scenario. Of course, not in 1941 one

• my bad was only referring to AA50 -41 with NOs, only version i played and analyzed a lot.

• @Pin:

thing is you will never win a game vs a decent opponent with a India IC in AA40 unless there was wacky dices somewhere. Its just not possible in this game. Ofc there is several instances where dices will make it profitable and maybe optimal to place an IC there, but thats not the issue if Germany not attack Egypt T1(they still have to shuffle units to africa though). A horrible failed Egypt T1 attack by germany might be a situation where it will be profitable, or even more so if japanese fails z35 turn1.

Thats whats so dynamic about this game, there is no standard response that will allways work for the allies, they have to adopt to where the dices was whacky turn one by the axis attacks, or respond to a conservative T1 by the axis.

I agree completly, I thought we were talking about a completly botched attempt at Egypt though (which while uncommon is still a big enough probablity to consider and adjust for).  Things that I think are very clear to recognize about an Indian IC/ or attacking India in general regardless: 1) Japan can take India T2, no matter what (disregarding preposterous game breaking luck) 2)Japan can quickly run into a supply/re-enforcment problem with India if the British can make a decent counter attack on it.  Japan has to be very cautious with India if Britain has grouped all it’s units in Persia (with maybe a little USSR help and the UK bomber) and Japan can’t wipe the British out T2.  To me this is a very key, and somewhat luck driven (due to what happens in Egypt/maybe how lucky the USSR was in T1) part of the game.

Yes if you build an IC in India T1-T3 for the UK in 90% of the games it is a game breakingly bad move; but there is certainly a time and place to consider one that people should note that ,while uncommon, isn’t so crazy rare that it is a virtual impossability.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m