• Thank you.

Rules seem like LHTR 2.0, which is how I play, except I don’t play with tech. Is this all of the CSub rules? Nothing about multiple bombardments?

As for the bidding system:

For 2v2, you probably just ask someone to be the bidder for that side, so it would work like 1v1.

But, what about for 5 player games? 5 player games where the people don’t know who they will play yet. Would it just be the two lowest bidders take the axis?

• Just want to throw some mad props your way, Mazer/marvinmartian (and the rest of the editors’ too).  CSub was in many ways my ideal A&A group.  It had easily the highest level of A&A strategy analysis I’ve seen.  I don’t want to knock this site–obviously I like it enough to be pretty active here!–but most of the forum threads are rules questions or superficial discussions, and truly in-depth analysis is rare.  I suspect the same is true of most other strategy forum sites.  By devoting itself to serious strategy discussion, CSub claimed a unique and extremely valuable niche in the A&A world.  I miss it!

• Many do…

:(

• Vets at GTO wont do many bombards, so it’s not that big of a deal…

They did say they would eventually fix it through programming, but money is tight for them…

• @Craig:

Larry Harris has clearly stated on his site that their interpretation is wrong, but they seem to be stubbornly sticking to their guns.

We can’t have that, Larry Harris is TEH FUHRER in the A&A world!!!

Even if many of us don’t like all the choices and rules in the games that L.H.designed, he’s teh big boss!

If WOTC wants a war over this, we (A&A players) should all volunteer to fight for our cause, there can only be one leader, one president, and L.H. is the main man, who dictates all the rules in the A&A world.

• Official Q&A

Yes, but Avalon Hill is the one writing the checks.  It’s usually smart to listen to that person/entity.

I’m working on this from the other side by trying to get it added to the FAQ.  If AH’s position officially changes, GTO’s will change as well.  Of course, it certainly won’t hurt for the players to complain.

• '16 '15 '10

Maybe someone in a position of power over at WOTC likes to come on GTO and play a gay bombard strategy?  That’s the only explanation I can think of.

But honestly if you try to stack battleships against a good Axis it won’t work, so it really isn’t much of a game-breaker, just an annoyance.

• @uffishbongo:

Just want to throw some mad props your way, Mazer/marvinmartian (and the rest of the editors’ too).  CSub was in many ways my ideal A&A group.  It had easily the highest level of A&A strategy analysis I’ve seen.  I don’t want to knock this site–obviously I like it enough to be pretty active here!–but most of the forum threads are rules questions or superficial discussions, and truly in-depth analysis is rare.  I suspect the same is true of most other strategy forum sites.  By devoting itself to serious strategy discussion, CSub claimed a unique and extremely valuable niche in the A&A world.  I miss it!

I wholeheartedly agree with Bongo. I cut my teeth on the papers CSub dished out and practically learned how to be a better player because of them. Sad to see you guys go.

• I am from the Czech Republic a I have very little time. I play online from time to time but I am definitely not even an average player (I play chess much better.). But reading the CS policy papers I have downloaded recently might have been the greatest joy I have had with the game so far. I just wanted to ask whether the twenty papers is all that is left after the group? I could not find anything on Russia for instance…

• Yeah, 20 is all of them.

There is much that they didn’t do strategies about….

But at least we got what they could give.

• Hey guys.

Thanks for the kind words; I’ll pass them on to the other editors.

bb82 - we had a few long discussions about the Russian openings in email threads but we never finished the paper about them.  The paper was going to cover the Russian Double (UKR/WRU) vs the Russian Triple (UKR/WRU/BEL).

The upshot was that the Triple had a high risk/reward swing where it really was in the hands of the dice.  Mighty Airforce preferred it; I preferred the Double.  In LL I don’t know which I would prefer, but probably the Triple.

Ultimately it did not matter a lot because we began putting a bid unit in the European theater to break the Triple as a viable option.

Peace

• Even though tourney games are very different than regular games, strategy wise, I’d like to hear some of your thoughts.

Russian start:

I usually prefer to limit luck, so I usually go very conservative… What about just Bel and WR, with only about 5 infantry on Cauc at end of R1?

What do you think of 6 on bury, R1, even if your not bringing that UK fighter? (UK Fighter goes after sub on UK1)

German papers:

Do you guys prefer to always do the 2 trannies for SZ5 and start to set up a fleet combine on G2? (Bid is in Africa) If UK builds right it can go at your fleet on UK2, with USA. They can kill your fleet during the second round. If this looks to be possible, then do you not fleet combine or still combine to slow them down?

Thanks,
    bb82

• If a Csub person has a problem with the following, please let me know and I will end it.

I am trying to get GTO to make a dedicated forum to the papers. A place that has a sticky for each paper. In that sticky/thread, we can read and talk about each paper.

For now, I created a thread at GTO, with a link to the papers for people that want to read them, http://www.gametableonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=996.

• BB82: Have at it with the papers. Post them wherever you want.

Russian double with BEL/WRU: It was done on occasion, but the risk/reward isn’t all that great.  No because the risk is huge, but because the reward was so small.  WRu/Ukr was much more common.

German 1st purchase: We went through several phases.  In a FTF venue, I’d buy 2 or 3 tra against any player who I suspected would be unfamiliar with it.  Against each other, 1tra was very common, but the most common opening became the UnBaltic.  Hard to say what the next iteration would have been because we had just started finding some counters to UnBaltic that we really liked.

Peace

• I’m a very conservative player… I dont think I would do the triple. I used to do the double.

For the double, would you guys bring as much armor as you could to the Ukraine battle or would you bring one extra armor to the WR battle?

• @Craig:

I never do the Ukraine attack.  I don’t feel comfortable with my USSR disposition after that, win or lose.

Of course, the flip side of that is, I get very happy when I’m playing Germany and the USSR leaves Ukraine alone!  I’m sure you feel stronger as Russia, but Germany is stronger too.  Who gets the better end of the tradeoff is a judgment call, of course.

• Yeah, I prefer Bel/WR too.

But when you do hit Ukraine, do you go with two or three armor?

• I can’t speak for the CSub folks, and I’d be interested to hear what approach predominated for them, but personally, whether I send 2 or 3 tanks to Ukr is the sort of fine-tuning that depends on how aggressive I feel on a given day, what I know about my opponent, which way the wind is blowing, etc.  :-)

• '16 '15 '10

Low luck, I go with 2.

Re. pure luck, after playing the game hundreds of times I’m still on the fence.  If I go with 3, that should cost me an extra inf in West Russia.  But 3 also makes the Ukraine battle relatively secure–you have to have some awful rolls to lose that.

I wouldn’t try a triple in regular luck.  If it goes bad Russia is in rough shape.  Might be worth trying in ll.

• Founder TripleA Admin

What happened to all of your CSub articles?

I had some of them published here but then I was asked to remove them. Now the group is defunct but are the articles still around?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m