• Please forgive me if this has already been extensively covered in other threads - first time poster here.

Question pertains to the UK Taranto Raid on Italy. If I were to bring 2 fighters down from the UK to hit the Italian battleship, can I purposely choose to let my carrier take a hit knowing that both those fighters will die if I win the battle?

Also, side note… Stats say 90% of winning but I’ve rolled it twice and both times I come out losing, maybe my rolls are just awful.

Thanks in advance!

• 2023 '20

Question pertains to the UK Taranto Raid on Italy. If I were to bring 2 fighters down from the UK to hit the Italian battleship, can I purposely choose to let my carrier take a hit knowing that both those fighters will die if I win the battle?

Yes. You have to show a plane has the ability to land during CM. But you are not required to have it land during NCM.

Using your example - you can use your 2 UK fighters for the attack, and leave your carrier in SZ98 during CM. You meet the requirement that the planes do have a possible landing spot - a carrier that moves to tue appropriate space during NCM. Then, after the battle, even if those fighters survived, you could send your carrier to SZ 76, and let those plane die.

But you could not move your carrier to SZ 76 during CM - as then you have failed the rule test - no possible landing spot in NCM is now possible.

• Wow thank you so much for such a quick reply!

• @mainah can you let the planes die? maybe i’m misunderstanding your response, but i thought the carrier MUST go pick up the planes if they survive.
    ‘Aircraft carriers can move to sea zones to allow friendly fighters and tactical bombers to land. They must move there, range permitting, if they didn’t move in the Combat Move phase and the friendly sea zone is the only valid landing zone for the air units. An aircraft carrier and a fighter or tactical bomber must both end their moves in the same sea zone in order for the air unit to land on the carrier.’

If i misunderstood, i apologize!

• @Aaron_the_Warmonger
    Maybe i am the one who misunderstood.
    I re-read page 21.
    “You must have a carrier move, remain in place, or be mobilized (new carriers only) to puck up a fighter or tactical bomber that would end its noncombat movement in a sea zone. You can’t deliberately move an air unit out of range of a potential safe landing space.

I know the carrier can take hits, and then the fighters can’t land - there is no option. That is a fact. I think the part that i concentrated on was that you couldn’t deliberately move an air unit out of range - but my example didn’t. It moved the carrier out of range. Maybe i assumed it could.

@allenche
    I would say warmonger is right.

• If the fighters live and my carrier didn’t take hits - the fighters would indeed land safely. However, my question was geared toward @mainah’s first response. When the Taranto Raid goes on (being the attacker), I would want to let my carrier take hits so I could continue rolling 3’s to win. However, by letting my carrier take hits, I will knowingly take away the landing spots of 2 fighters coming down from UK. So therefore, if I win the fight, I am “purposely” letting my fighters crash land on the Non Combat Move. Is this ok?

I would have no way of knowing if I win or lose before Combat Rolls. Conceivably, I will win (since it’s 90% chance of winning) and my carrier will still be in tact and both UK fighters will have a safe place to land. But, during the actual combat phase, I am asking if I can let my carrier take a hit - thus forcing a crash during the non-combat move.

• 2023 '20

@allenche
    You are ok with using the carrier to take hits in combat. It’s the same as in defense - you are not required to take planes as hits before you take carriers even if the carrier is the only viable landing spot.

I think my assumption about not required to use the carrier came from a time when i couldn’t - therr was a destroyer blocker between where i need my carrier to be for the landing of some aircraft. So I attacked the blocker and the target in same turn. The planes survived the attack, but the attack on the blocker failed - so carrier couldnt move to pick up. Bye bye planes.

• '18

@ShadowHAwk agreed, the planes becomes soaks if you leave the carrier out and want it to stay alive somewhere else!

• '18

@ShadowHAwk said in The Taranto Raid Fighter/Carrier Question:

Ofcourse if you take less then 2 hits in that combat its not the worst thing.

certainly not!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m