• Official Q&A

Ah, I see what you’re saying.  There is no difference, rules-wise, between the terms “production” and “mobilization”.  The terms are used interchangeably.  “Production” limits affect only mobilization, and have no impact on what you may purchase.  This is indicated by the fact that on page 13 under Step 1: Order Units it says that “you may buy as many units as you can afford”, with no indication of a limit based on the production capacity of your ICs.

• @Krieghund:

Ah, I see what you’re saying.  There is no difference, rules-wise, between the terms “production” and “mobilization”.  The terms are used interchangeably.  “Production” limits affect only mobilization, and have no impact on what you may purchase.  This is indicated by the fact that on page 13 under Step 1: Order Units it says that “you may buy as many units as you can afford”, with no indication of a limit based on the production capacity of your ICs.

So if Germany as a Nation has only 1 Industrial Complex in Germany itself and for example 90 IPC to spend it will be able to
    buy, produce and mobilize for example 10 infantries and 4 Industrial complexes?

Although page 13 indicates "“Each industrial complex can only produce as many new units as the IPC value indicated on the territory in which it is located.” - That means 10 for Germany?

Just to be sure…

Thank you! :-)

• Official Q&A

Yes, that means ten for the territory of Germany, so your example will work.

• @Krieghund:

Great… I’ve got it then! Thank you :-)

• @Krieghund:

At least I think I’ve got it ;-)

As a consequence of our discussion I wonder what impact damage will have.
    Following your explanation I now tend to think that the amount of damage markers to an industrial complex cannot have any consequences to purchasing new industrial complexes as long as the nation buying them can afford it.

So if for example Germany has it’s one and only industrial complex in Germany itself and this complex is damaged with say 10-20 damage, Germany will be able to buy as much industrial complexes as it can afford without repairing, because the newly built industrial complexes will not be built in the territory of Germany and as you said “Because ICs are not mobilized in territories containing an IC, they are a special case and never count toward the production limit.” (=mobilization limit). So damage cannot have an impact on buying new industrial complexes.

Am I right?

• Official Q&A

Yes, you are right.

• clarification:  attacking forces, may they withdraw any number of units or must they withdraw all or none?  While I’m at it,  I remember glancing over someone talking about retreating amphibious assaulting units, did I miss something there or is that rule the same as it’s always been?

• Official Q&A

There are no partial retreats.  When you retreat, you retreat everything.

That being said, amphibious assaults are an exception.  Land units that entered the battle by transport may not retreat.  Land units that entered the battle by land and air units may retreat.  If they do, they all retreat together.  This is a change from Revised, as in that game if any land unit entered the battle by transport no land unit could retreat.

• For the optional rule involving the Black Sea, can I load/unload troops from the tiny little part of the seazone adjacent to Bulgaria/Romania?  I never passed through the canal, please say YES.

• And while you’re on the subject of retreats, if attacking from multiple locations, a retreat must be to the “right” places.  Say I am attacking with 4 ARM from Karelia and 6 INF from Eastern Poland.  If I retreat 4 ARM and 2 INF, the ARM go to Karelia and the INF go to Eastern Poland?

On Amphibious, if Germany is attacking Egypt, and has 1 INF 1 ART 1ARM coming from Libya and 1 INF 1 ARM from France, and there are 4 defensive hits, I could flee my 1 ARM saying it belongs to Libya?

But if both tanks are alive, I cannot flee, because 1 came from the Transport.

• Official Q&A

@Capt.:

For the optional rule involving the Black Sea, can I load/unload troops from the tiny little part of the seazone adjacent to Bulgaria/Romania?  I never passed through the canal, please say YES.

Sea zone 16 can’t be entered from either sea zone 14 or sea zone 15, so no.

@Capt.:

And while you’re on the subject of retreats, if attacking from multiple locations, a retreat must be to the “right” places.  Say I am attacking with 4 ARM from Karelia and 6 INF from Eastern Poland.  If I retreat 4 ARM and 2 INF, the ARM go to Karelia and the INF go to Eastern Poland?

No.  All land units must retreat together to one territory from which at least one of them came.  In your example, either all of the units would retreat to Karelia or all of them would retreat to Eastern Poland.

@Capt.:

On Amphibious, if Germany is attacking Egypt, and has 1 INF 1 ART 1ARM coming from Libya and 1 INF 1 ARM from France, and there are 4 defensive hits, I could flee my 1 ARM saying it belongs to Libya?

But if both tanks are alive, I cannot flee, because 1 came from the Transport.

You can take the casualties on any units that you like.  You don’t have to lose all of the amphibiously assaulting units before retreating the other ones.  All of the land-based units (and any air units) can retreat together at the end of any round of combat, leaving any remaining seaborne units behind to finish the fight alone.  This is the only time that a partial retreat is allowed.  However, if you do it, all of the land-based land units and air units must retreat together, leaving only seaborne units behind.

• I can’t seem to find the answer to this question anywhere.

I seem to remember the defender being allowed to destroy his/her industrial complex at the beginning of a battle to prevent it from falling into the attackers hands. Is this still allowed? I am assuming no since I can find it no where in the rules or FAQ.

• Official Q&A

Welcome, Wally!

Destroying industrial complexes has never been allowed officially.  You must be thinking of a house rule or one of the many variant rulesets available.

• So it is a huge boost to Germany if they seize one of the USSR’s IC’s. Especially since they can build units there that same turn.

• Official Q&A

It is a huge boost, but they can’t build there in the same turn.  You can never use an IC in the same turn that you capture it.

• Thats how it used to be, but the new rulebook states in the industrial complex entry that units can be produced at an industrial complex that has just been captured.

• Official Q&A

No, it doesn’t.  It says it can be used on the turn after it is captured.  You have to have controlled the territory since the beginning of your turn in order to use an IC.

• The rulebook we have says that you can…A typo perhaps?

• Official Q&A

As far as I know, all the rulebooks are the same.  Can you give me a page number and a quote?

• I don’t have it with me, but I’ll get it Wednesday.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m