• @toblerone77:

AAE and AAP had good pieces.

I loved the pieces from Europe and Pacific.

Look at the fat tanks in this pic :

This I call real tanks. But then some wiseguy from WOTC figured that this great tanks was too big for the map, so they startet to make skinny tanks. Be my guest. Bottom line is, now we got skinny Shermans and skinny T34’s, and the japanese and Italian light-tanks are actually bigger than the Shermans and T 34’s. Go figure.

• That’s pretty incredible.  Yes, it makes a big difference.  I hadn’t seen AAE and AAP pieces before, so thanks for the update.  I’m amazed by the amount of detail they put on the T-34.  It actually looks like it has a movable turret.

Has anyone tried called calling Wizards and requesting new sets of playing pieces for AAE or AAP?  Because that’s what I’m prepared to do.  That is if Wizards is still printing both games.  It may be the cheapest alternative.

• Call them let us know what lies they tell you… I have called them lots of times as well as others.  They always have the same stock answer… which is:  “we are working on this problem…blah blah blah… i will check to see if anything can be done… yada yada yada…”

• I don’t like the length of the new Panther’s barrel, I have too many of them that I got OOB that were bent to hell.

I even got a deformd midget Russian Bomber.Looks like someone took a modeling knife to it. :-P

• What’s wrong with the pieces in your opinions?  I didn’t get it yet.

• i don’t think the pieces are overly bad …

but this is supposed to be a special 50th anniversary edition. you’d think they could at least make the detail on the moulds as reasonable as the last few releases, or maybe something new and better

obtaining some metal pieces would definitely take the game to another level of awesome  8-)

• Customizer

oh god i complained about this a thousand times.

i’m not just bitching about this.

the last two aa games i’ve purchased aar and aa50 have had pieces that i’ve had to shave, heat’n’bend, and wings bend so bad they could’ve been worn like a halloween/novelty ring. i’m here to play aa not decorate f*****g cupcakes!!!

Whew where’s the tylenol?

This game is awsome but i want parts that dont have to lean on an idustrial complex to stand up.

• To repeat my original complaint, $100 should NOT = crappy plastic pieces.  If they’d at least provided the quality of AAR, I’d have been OKAY with it, if not thrilled.  But these pieces suck worse than AAR pieces, and that’s saying something, since AAR pieces were definitely a downgrade from AAE and AAP.  If it’s a 50th Anniversary Edition (50th anniversary of the founding of Avalon Hill, by the way), why should I care if the quality is the WORST it’s been in those 50 years?

• TG Moses VI…  waited your life for the game?

There are 600 or so pieces.  If they were made out of a more expensive material, the game would have cost much more.

The game is great as is.

• My biggest gripes about the cheapness is that in the cover of the OOB rules it goes on and on about how they wanted a game that would be the cats meow.

In Pacific the US had Hellcats and P-38’s for fighters out of the box.  The only thing that sets these pieces apart is light brown, moderate brown, heavy brown and burnt brown.

@Gamer:

To repeat my original complaint, $100 should NOT = crappy plastic pieces.  If they’d at least provided the quality of AAR, I’d have been OKAY with it, if not thrilled.  But these pieces suck worse that AAR pieces, and that’s saying something, since AAR pieces were definitely a downgrade from AAE and AAP.  If it’s a 50th Anniversary Edition (50th anniversary of the founding of Avalon Hill, by the way), why should I care if the quality is the WORST it’s been in those 50 years?

I agree “the quality is the WORST it’s been in those 50 years!”

• '16

@Gallo:

uhm… I’m just curious:

what naval, air, and land units does AA Pacific, Europe, Guadalcanal, D-Day, and Battle of the Bugle represent? Is there much change?

I know that US fighters for AA Pacific are Hellcats (or maybe Wildcats?).

German bomber ( only 1 ! ) from the Bulge is a Ju88, in AA50 bombers’ type is Heinkel 111

• I think we all would’ve accepted the crappy pieces if this was just another A&A game and NOT the end-all-be-all version of the original game we had heard about.  But when you advertise the words “deluxe, anniversary, special collectors edition” – then yes, we do expect something a cut above.

General Di Caro,

TG Moses VI…  waited your life for the game?

There are 600 or so pieces.  If they were made out of a more expensive material, the game would have cost much more.

The game is great as is.

Lets just say if A&A:50 hadn’t come out, I would still be playing the original A&A:1984.  The other expansions were not on a global enough scale for me and A&A:R was not a large enough change to be worth buying.

I got my copy of a&A:50 for $60.  Which means Wizards is selling the game direct to retailers for ~$50.  The game costs less than that to make for there to be a profit.  I’m positive Wizards could’ve spent a few extra dollars per game making sure the pieces weren’t bent out of shape and using a bit more plastic in the molds, while still making a steady, albeit lesser profit.

Hearing the horror stories swirling around these pieces makes me inclined to believe Wizards is taking advantage of our good faith.

• @Gamer:

To repeat my original complaint, $100 should NOT = crappy plastic pieces.  If they’d at least provided the quality of AAR, I’d have been OKAY with it, if not thrilled.  But these pieces suck worse that AAR pieces, and that’s saying something, since AAR pieces were definitely a downgrade from AAE and AAP.  If it’s a 50th Anniversary Edition (50th anniversary of the founding of Avalon Hill, by the way), why should I care if the quality is the WORST it’s been in those 50 years?

I repeat my question… what sucks about the pieces?  I didn’t get my copy…

• They are fine!

Don’t worry about it!!!

They aren’t bent nor deformed, but the colors are too similar for those color deficient persons.

Just play the game and enjoy!!

My goodness what a bunch of whiners!

• @Constantinople:

They are fine!

Don’t worry about it!!!

They aren’t bent nor deformed, but the colors are too similar for those color deficient persons.

Just play the game and enjoy!!

My goodness what a bunch of whiners!

As IL and others stated earlier, for a “normal” game, the lack of quality is understandable.
    For a $100 bucks, special, anniversary, SUPER DE LUXE edition…it’s not.

And can I have some french bread with my wine please?

• Customizer

One of the reasons this this version is (probably) too expensive for me is the repeats yet again of units I already have more than enough of and (if the above posts are true) of better quality.

I’d definately have bought the game if it’d been also sold in an “expansion” form with ONLY the pieces unique to this version.
    Given that the vast majority of potential buyers also have stacks of German infantry, UK Bombers etc why didn’t they just include the new pieces and board and keep down the costs? I’d probably have bought two sets for the new stuff, instead of which I’ll probably buy none.

Mind, they’d have to have made the Italian pieces in grey…

• I have a few USA INF that lean to far and they will not stand up.
    1 Russian is decapitated.
    1 Ger bomber has 1 wing shorter than the other.
    a lot of pcs are showing white where the mold was connected.

It is not all pcs, just a few.

• 1 Russian is decapitated.
    1 Ger bomber has 1 wing shorter than the other.

LOL!!!   :lol:  I’m sorry. 
    I’m sure that the karma I receive for bursting out laughing when I read this means my copy of A&A:50 will have pieces that are super deformed.

I repeat my question… what sucks about the pieces?  I didn’t get my copy…

1.  A few/many of the pieces have visible defects.

2.  Some of the nation colors are eerily similar (Italy/Russia)

3.  Italy uses recycled pieces from other powers

4.  Japanese and Chinese infantry are visibly smaller

5.  Cruisers/destroyers/battleships all look alike sort of.

6.  The plastic used in the molds feels cheap

7.  The pieces are too small

8.  The detail of the pieces isn’t there compared to previous editions

9.  Only TWO cruisers for Italy.

10.  I forget.

• 2 CA for Italy.  Larry gave you an extra one.

• Corrected.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m