• I am not sure I have interpreted the rules correctly, but what is defined as control of a territory? As if an axis unit is still in a territory containing allied units at the end of a round who controls the territory? Or am I playing it wrong, I mean units can remain in contested territories into the next round right? You only get to roll for your units once on a allies attack turn and once on axis turn right? Its not like revised where you both keep rolling until one is annihilated right?

Also with the bomber attack, is that a targeted attack? Can the bomber choose which unit in a territory to attack?

• You control a territory when only you have units in it. This game can have both sides’ units in the same territory. Units may move into but not out of territories where both sides have units.

Combat is not like revised. Each turn, each side gets one ‘round’ on offense and one ‘round’ on defense. Anything still alive remains in the space.

Bombers pick their targets.

• Hmm yes thats as I thought. But that means that its easy for Germany to win right? Because every turn they can shove enough men into st. lo to prevent anything but a really lucky allied roll from completly removing them, and thereby holding the territory for a turn to win the game.

• In my experience the Allies only won the very first game we played when we still didn’t know the rules yet. We did aircraft wrong and were killing way to many units.

Since then ALL Axis.

It can be difficult to reinforce St. Lo with the Allied fighter harassment but not impossible. It is possible to keep the Allies from knocking on the door to St. Lo.

• Here is a hypothetical:

Britain completly removes axis units in st. lo, then on Germany’s turn Germany puts units back into st. lo to attempt to retake it. At the end of the round german and UK units are both in st. lo, who has control of st. lo, UK or Germany? If UK still has units in st. lo at the end of next round did they control it succesfully for a round even though German units are still in it?

• If only Allied units are in that zone the Allies control it.
    If only Axis are in that zone Axis control it.
    If both are in that zone it is contested.  No one controls it.

LT

• Yep, if both no one controls.

• Ok thank you :)

Not to flog a dead horse here though, but another hypothetical, all Germany has to do is surround st. lo with about 6 units in three adjacent territories, then if st. lo is still contested by round 6 say, those three adjacent territories should provide enough men to continue to jump into st. lo and contest it, thereby denying an allied victory. This is just a flaw I see. Does it make sense?

• Yep that is pretty much how it plays out in my experience. The Allies have to do good with their air cover. They have to get some units while they are moving to St. Lo or it isn’t really close usually.

The word is the game was meant to have more turns. In the wins/losses thread there are some ideas about balancing.

• Thanks Frimmel! So yes I found Larry Harris’ optional rules for D-day. I will defiantely use the first two, as for the third one I had to laugh. The third optional rule he lists goes something along the lines of, the player may elect not to attack a contested territory on his turn if he has a unit in that territory which contains enemy units. This optional rule clearly compounds the problem that I have been putting forward all along!

I do like D-day though, I think its because its by far the shortest game I have played so far (haven’t played guadacanal yet). Also I really like the realism, the dual purpose AA and artillery for the axis, the allied air power, the allied navy power, the pillboxes (for the atlantic wall), and the defending at 3 for axis tanks. A really nice short and sweet game. I can see the game getting old quick, like you say Frimmel you only played it 12 times. However the axis person can mix it up a bit I think and try to defend Caen as a challenge, or even try and push the allies back at the beaches rather than waiting at the cities.

• It is shorter than Guadalcanal. D-Day is the shortest A&A game (poor play aside.) Guadalcanal is a close second though.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m