• :roll:
    I hate it when none of your defenders hit, and all of theirs’ do!

All that can be avoided by playing the Low Luck rules.
    Believe me, in 20 plus years of playing this and other such games, I’ve seen it all!  :wink:

• Where are the low luck rules?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

You start the battle for a major engagement with over a 96% chance to win, but on the very first round none of your guys seem to be able to hit while the defender scores nearly 100% accuracy. (Seems to happen EVERY TIME too)

• Yeah, I know what you mean. You know, the other day, I took one o’ them, uh–?
    Meat thermometers?
    Yeah! And I just shoved it into my ear, you know? As far as it could go, you know? But then I took one o’ them, uh–?
    Ball-peen hammers?
    Right. And just whacked it a few times right in there, you know.
    Boy, that must smart.
    I know! I HATE when THAT happens.

• Low Luck is an optin on the tripleA gaming site.
    It can also be used when playing the boardgame by totalling up the attackers points each round of combat, and dividing this number by 6. The result is the number of auto-hits suffered by the defender. The defender does the same to the attacker. Any fractions less than 6 that are left over after the totaling of either attacker or defender points is rolled to see if it gets a hit.
    example: attacter has 33 attack points, Divideed by 6 gives you 5 auto hits with 3 remaining points. The attaker rolls one die, and rolls a 2, this is 3 or less so it too is a Hit! So the defender suffers 6 hits in all this round of combat. Let’s say that the defender had 24 points of defense, this is exactly 4 auto hits, as 24 divided by 6 = 4.
    Low Luck reduces the unrealistic swing of a game due to unrealistic lucky die rolls. It helps to keep the luck fairly even and allows for better strategies to usually win out over poor strategies. But, sometimes those fraction rolls can make the differance in a game aver a few turns of good luck.
      Try it in a game or two, I believe that you too will come to like LL, ( Low Luck), it RULES!
      :wink:

• Low luck is great for the battle resolution itself but it leads to a major flaw on the main tactical map.

It’s way too easy to commit the minimum forces with about 0 risk. The game becomes mainly an IPC production contest in favor of the allies.

To make it worthwile, the system should leave the choice of dice system used in combat for each round for each opponent.

Agressive - dices
    Defensive - low luck

This way, an attacker may want to conduct an low luck attack while the defender choose to go for dices. If the battle goes a second round, again each sides choose the mode in which he ‘‘rolls’’ the dices.

The result would be that you might be sure in low luck as an attacker to take out thoses 3 infantry but at least you won’t be sure on how many casualties you will take, thus forced to commit more troops than the ‘‘sure thing’’ one casualty, the defender obviously going with dices to try inflict more losses.

Until then, dices games are still more dynamic than the all too previsible low luck and NO risk.

• Your suggestion sounds progressive, with open options to all players, but this could still easily swing the game drastically with just a few abnormally lucky die rolls, which, LL is trying to reduce for everyone, equally. Granted, A@A is just a game, with an attempt at balance rather than historical accuracy, but, that being said, it was during this conflict that the General staffs became very accurate in predicting the casualty rates for most campaigns. This contributed to a better economy of force and resources for upcoming battles. LL reflects this capability very nicely.
    Bottom line, if you thing you are a strong strategist, you will like LL. If you like surprize results from battles, then regular dice are your thing.
    One is not better than the other, it is a matter of personal taste.
    Have fun when you play, or don’t play at all. :-D

• @Crazy:

Your suggestion sounds progressive, with open options to all players, but this could still easily swing the game drastically with just a few abnormally lucky die rolls, which, LL is trying to reduce for everyone, equally. Granted, A@A is just a game, with an attempt at balance rather than historical accuracy, but, that being said, it was during this conflict that the General staffs became very accurate in predicting the casualty rates for most campaigns. This contributed to a better economy of force and resources for upcoming battles. LL reflects this capability very nicely.
    Bottom line, if you thing you are a strong strategist, you will like LL. If you like surprize results from battles, then regular dice are your thing.
    One is not better than the other, it is a matter of personal taste.
    Have fun when you play, or don’t play at all. :-D

Very accurate? I have to disagree with this affirmation.

Helmut von Moltke strategic thought can be summarized by two statements translated into English as “No battle plan survives contact with the enemy” and “War is a matter of expedients”. Moltke’s main thesis was that military strategy had to be understood as a system of options since only the beginning of a military operation was plannable.

Back on LL. A&A is a game and it is not required to be historically accurate but one of the major skills required to the commanders is to overcome events that are going against their plan. Ability to adapt to changing events, exploiting opportunity and overcome bad outcome are the trademarks of the great commanders.
    LL reduce risks and reduce the necessity for commander adaptivity.
    I emphasize: reduced, not eliminated. There is still uncertainity in LL.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Corbeau:

Low luck is great for the battle resolution itself but it leads to a major flaw on the main tactical map.

It’s way too easy to commit the minimum forces with about 0 risk. The game becomes mainly an IPC production contest in favor of the allies.

To make it worthwile, the system should leave the choice of dice system used in combat for each round for each opponent.

Agressive - dices
    Defensive - low luck

This way, an attacker may want to conduct an low luck attack while the defender choose to go for dices. If the battle goes a second round, again each sides choose the mode in which he ‘‘rolls’’ the dices.

The result would be that you might be sure in low luck as an attacker to take out thoses 3 infantry but at least you won’t be sure on how many casualties you will take, thus forced to commit more troops than the ‘‘sure thing’’ one casualty, the defender obviously going with dices to try inflict more losses.

Until then, dices games are still more dynamic than the all too previsible low luck and NO risk.

Not that this is a Low Luck thread, but this is an interesting idea.  Let the defender chose LL or ADS and let the attacker chose LL or ADS.

The idea I had was any battle with fewer than 30 units (combined units including all naval, ground and air units for both the attacker and defender) is ADS more than that is LL.  This stops HUGE swings in round 1 from adversely effecting the outcome of a sure thing (which is my pet peeve.)

• I’ll try this out… sounds like fun

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m