Is it a better idea to buy pacific or guadacanal

• I like the both of these from what I have heard have more air and sea action.  I also like guadacanal’s supplies.  Which should I choose?

• Basic differences. Canal is only 2 player. Canal has no IPCs but reinforcement points. Units are ‘bought’ at end of turn. One player acts first but during each turn players alternate moving one type of unit. There is a random (to me a traditional system pretending to be random) casualty/combat system. Victory is determined on points.

Pacific is more traditional A&A with IPCs, complexes, begining of turn purchase, can be played by 2 or 3 people, capture the capital victory conditions plus Japan can win on points and the standard casualty/combat system.

You can download the Gudalcanal Rulebook.

You can also download the Pacific Rulebook.

Or for that matter ANY Axis & Allies Rulebook.

They are both terrific games IMO. You can’t go wrong with either game. Flip a coin. But they require very different mindsets.

What is your experience with other A&A games? Did you like D-Day or Battle of the Bulge? What did you or didn’t you like about them? What do you like and dislike about Europe or Revised?

• Hello

• Hello again, i’ll try to post correctly this time!!
    My own thoughts is that both are good games, but Gualdacanl edges it for me, as on the pacific board you can get very large fleets and have to use fleet markers rather than having all the units easily to see on the board all the time. You have to use the markers as the board can become over crowded and as you move all your units in one turn, i find that sometimes when i play it, my opponet will move alot of pieces, change their mind and we have to try and remeber where they all moved from. In Gualdacanal, you only move one type of unit at a time, so you don’t have this problem, and it keeps the game interesting as you are constantly moving and thinking, whereas you can sit around for some time, while someone moves all their units on Pacific.

• Guadalcanal would certainly be the fastest paced game to me so far. The alternating movement makes it always feel like it is ‘your turn.’

• @frimmel:

Guadalcanal would certainly be the fastest paced game to me so far. The alternating movement makes it always feel like it is ‘your turn.’

Exactly.

• these games also factor in time.  My brother and friends when they play take up to 8 hours playing Pacific and Europe, while Guadalcanal will only take 2 to 3 hours, or even less.  It’s up to you.

If you like the conquer abilities, than go with Pacific.

If you have a time limit, go with Guadalcanal.

If you like a faster paced game, go with Guadalcanal.

• You could also play AAG as a conquer game, but forget about the two hours time if you do that.  It should take another hour or two at least if you go all the way.  If you really want to stay with the feel of an AAR game, go with Pacific.  But if you are ready for a different experience, go with AAG.

• I’d say get Pacific… but that’s probably because the Strategic A&A games entertain me much more than the Tactical ones, even tho the Strategic ones take a long time to play.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m