• I’m trying to figure out if you are questioning how realistic the commander affect working while transported is, or if you are questioning if it is legal in the rules.

If it is the later, it is most definately legal.

First off, take the rules literally.  If it say “All adjacent friendly units get X bonus”, then they all adjacent units get X bonus.  Period, end of sentence.

Only if there is another rule that explicitly limts that first rule does it get negated.

If the rules (all rules, everywhere, for evey game) didn’t work this way then all rule books would be 1000 pages long trying to cover every possible permutation.  Rules should be taken as literally as possible.

Secondly, here’s the official answer to your question:

http://boards.avalonhill.com/showthread.php?t=8447

Mot

• 2007 AAR League

@dezrtfish:

@mateooo:

oh absolutely, but if you put that commander in a king tiger or a crocodile instead of a jeep, it becomes a completely different scenario. I just used the jeep as an example.

That would be unusual, because King Tigers and Crocodiles can’t transport…

oops, I meant like a KV 1 or Easy Eight

• 2007 AAR League

@Motdc:

I’m trying to figure out if you are questioning how realistic the commander affect working while transported is, or if you are questioning if it is legal in the rules.

well, most importantly was what is the “legal” ruling. Im playing games and want to know what to expect. I know its just a game, and not all rules can be absolutely realistic.  I just want to know the correct way to play, and to not be surprised later on by a ruling.

how bout the other situations? do they work while transported?

demolition (I would assume yes)

indirect or improved indirect fire and spotter (carry around a spotter in a jeep?) I would assume yes

chatting on the radio (is the soldier considered moving if the transport he is in moves, but he is just carried?) I assume he CANT be transported during assault

Bravery reinforcement (can a unit attack its OWN soldiers from inside a tank?)  I have NO IDEA!

Headshot (I would assume no)

• @mateooo:

how bout the other situations? do they work while transported?

In the absence of any explicit rule to the contrary (and I know of none and I’m pretty a-nal about these things), the answer to all is Yes.

• 2007 AAR League

head shot???

also thought of a GREAT idea for mapview

how bout a 1 hex long FLAME!
    you know, FOR FLAMETHROWERS!
    how cool would that be?

and for the love of god, BARB WIRE! and other such traps.
    I totally want to barbwire everything!

• '19 Moderator

@mateooo:

@dezrtfish:

@mateooo:

oh absolutely, but if you put that commander in a king tiger or a crocodile instead of a jeep, it becomes a completely different scenario. I just used the jeep as an example.

That would be unusual, because King Tigers and Crocodiles can’t transport…

oops, I meant like a KV 1 or Easy Eight

LOL what kind of crazy would put a Cossack Commander… ah… I mean a leader… in a KV1 :evil: :evil: :evil:

• @mateooo:

and for the love of god, BARB WIRE! and other such traps.
    I totally want to barbwire everything!

Yes, I think the obstacles would be a great addition.

• @mateooo:

head shot???

I’ve done that ebfore…put a German Sniper in a half-track and you have a very mobile, very dangerous unit.  No hiding from him!

Of course, its also very fragile  :-(

• 2007 AAR League

so that brings up the next question
    can a sniper shoot from a halftrack (head shot) and then the half track move away the same turn…

i think vague, simplistic rules are being taken advantage of…

• 2007 AAR League

im trying to figure out how hordelings works, so I can figure out what some other abilities are

how do I search for a unit in hordelings?
    I can not, for the life of me, figure it out.

I try to search using unit search “name containts” ….

and i get nothing, no matter what I put in

this site is bizarre

is there any other site that I can use to figure out what abilities do? I mean the abilities that are NOT included on Hill 107 (which is a very easy site to use, btw)

specifically, i have a ranger in my army, and I dont know what “lead the way” does

• '19 Moderator

Hordlings is arainged by “set”
    Hold he cursor over the games pull down
    Then the Axis and allies mini’s pull down
    then the Sets pull down then you will see the different sets.

You need to know whitch set the unit you are looking for is in, the Wizards data base will tell you that.

Ranger is in the resurves set so you scroll down to #21Ranger and click the link:

http://www.hordelings.com/frontend/games/item.php?collectable_item_id=1819

There seems to be an error for that particular unit however it doesn’t list the “lead the way” abillity

It’s a complicated system but it’s realy all there is on the net.  I do seem to remember someone listing all the abilities on an xl sheet somewhere, that would be a good thing to post here somewhere.

• 2007 AAR League

does anyone know what “lead the way” means?

• @mateooo:

can a sniper shoot from a halftrack (head shot) and then the half track move away the same turn…

A unit can only use the fighting platform if that vehicle does not move during assault phase.
    If unit attacks that vehicle with fighting platform must stay put.

• @mateooo:

No.  “Fighting Platform” states that the vehicle cannot move if the unit aboard attacks.

I think there aren’t as many big holes in the rules as it might seems.  Of course, the fun is taking advantage of the small ones  :evil:

• I’ll agree will some of the holes.

Cossack Captain on the KV1 is a cheap tactic.  While mounted on or in vehicles the Blast ability can kill.

I think snipers should be able to target infantry on tanks with transport abilities but not in transports vehicles.  I think these two things should be treated differently

• Well I must say I have to 100% agree with you here on that. :x

• Why would opposing infantry be afraid of a cossack captain that they can’t even see if he is riding “inside” a tank.
    If he is riding outside the tank then it would make sense for intimidation to take affect.  And since Cossack would be riding outside of tank he should be subject to enemy fire.  HHR house rules states alot of these units as having exposed transport not transport ability.  We should take a vote and get rid of this cheesy tactic.  Also as far as the Brumbaar; Brumbaars blast should work on units on exposed transports not on transports.

• 2007 AAR League

i would think coming up with different designations for transports would be great
    exposed
    unexposed

unexposed does not allow the transported unit to be targeted, but does not allow the use of abilities (intimidation, pinpointing, whatever)

exposed allows targetting, but then abilities could be used.

• exactly
    like a cossack capt in a half-track or something
    not sitting on the back of some beast tank.

• 2007 AAR League

for purposes of LOS, is a unit with no turret able to target something directly to its side? (not in front, or behind).

My thought is not, as when you attack a unit from the side, you are targetting its rear, implying that something to the side is considered “behind” that unit, but who knows with AAM.

anyone know?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m