• I do not want to seem dumb, but, only to better understand, I was persuaded that US fleet transported 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery, and 1 Armour from EUS in Algeria on US1. So to have them in Norway I should embark them, again, and then transport them in Norway, offloading from SZ6.
    TRN and units build in US1, may hit norway in US3, not before, if I do not miss.
    As I said before I have no map at hands, right now.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Round 1:

USA Buys 3 Transports, 6 Infantry
    USA Invades Algeria with 2 Transports, Destroyer, 2 Infantry, Artillery, Armor, Fighter and Bomber and joins
    {England: 2 Infantry, Artillery, Armor, 2 Transports, Battleship}
    {Russia: Submarine}

Round 2:

USA moves the Algerians to SZ 6/Norway
    USA moves 3 Transports form SZ 10 to SZ 8
    USA moves 6 Infantry form USA to England

• Which is, hitting Norway in US 3 :-)

Well, the NEW units are hitting Norway in USA 3.  The OLD units are hitting on USA 2.

There is no physical way to hit norway with America on USA 1 without cheating.

• I think Romulus was trying to figure out how to hit Norway with OTHER than the original forces that went to Algeria.

Well, you can do it that way too.  It would take just as long.  E. USA to Algeria to Norway.

• Ok now I understood!!! Thanks!
    The key is to have both UK and US fleet always togheter in the same sea zone, to minimize chance to be attacked by German airforce, and then leaving UK troops to fight in Africa while US troops go to Norway, regrouping fleets again in sz6. Thanks Jennifer! It is a very effective coordination of movements! What seemed strange to me was the fact that US troops land in Algeria on US1 and then embark for Norway in US2, but now all is clear!

I know, naturally, that without cheating it is impossible for US troops to hit Norway on US1, and this is the reason that in our games we have never landed US troops in Norway on US1.  :-)

• @Romulus:

The key is to have both UK and US fleet always togheter in the same sea zone, to minimize chance to be attacked by German airforce, and then leaving UK troops to fight in Africa while US troops go to Norway, regrouping fleets again in sz6.

I would only add that they stay together until BOTH are able to withstand the German thread from Air and any remaining naval forces independently… then the US has other duties to attend to besides nursemaiding UK TRN’s in the North Sea…

• Pardon me switch but… what it means “nursemaiding”?

Ok, I agree, I am only referring to the first three turns. Whit allies I alway try to have two task force composed by 1 AC, 2 Fig, 1-2 DD and several TRN (at minimum) prior to separate UK and US Fleets. But you are right for sure!

• Nursemaiding would be being the protector…

USA Atlantic Fleet having the job of protecting UK TRNs

Initially combined fleet for mutual defense is a good idea, but UK needs to build their own fleet defense so that the US Atlantic Fleet can go pursue other activities instead of just keeping UK TRNs from being sunk by German Air Force.

I like to try and avoid buying Capital ships with the UK if at all possible.
    Sometimes it is unavoidable, and I kind of like the 1 dd, 1 trn, 1 ftr buy on UK1, but sometimes you may need the UK AC right away.

I usually send the UK fleet to Sz 8 and then merge with the US ships in round 1.  I buy the AC with the US (possibly another ftr as well) and then on Round 2 merge the fleets in Sz 12 and take Alg.

Round three the Brits go to Norway (new trns placed in Sz 6) and the US AC/ftrs and possibly a DD following for added defense with the UK BB and DD.  It really depends on the German threat.  While the US BB and new naval buys from the US go to Sz 12.  From here, the US can continue to supply Afr with troops while the UK focuses on Nor, then Kar.

By Round 4 or 5 you can shift the US north as well, since Afr should be well covered, but I actually perfer to keep supplying Afr (since you need less trns)or then shift the US to Med or to the Pacific.  But before you shift make sure you’ve killed the Baltic Fleet and the Med fleet.  I usually target the Baltic for round 2 or 3 and the Med for round 3 or 4.

• I love the way some of these threads morphe. J1 turns into a B1 and then a USA1.
    I’d like to get back to the J1 though.
    I’ve tried many different starts with Japan, 9and am play-testing a new one now).
    I have used the 9 bid to buy a Transport and put it with the East Indies fleet. Lots of places you can hit with that! The spare IPC goes to Japan as well. My first buy is always two Tps’ and 2 or three tanks, depending on the UK luck on my lone transport off of Kwangtung.
    This Strategy puts Japan in the Axis drivers seat. And if the Allies don’t shift to a KJF strategy then they are in for a very yellow world.
    The other bid buy I’ve been working on is a tank in Kwangtung and an artillary in FIC. Both China and India fall nicely on J1, and the 2 extra land units help my advancing armies in Asia look tougher against counter-attacks. My J1 buys are still pretty much the same.
    Oh, and I don’t consider a IC or Bmbr untill J4 or later, Just keep buying a Tp a turn untill then and buy tanks, infantry is too damn slow. Just grab what you already have in the Islands. grab, Australia, NZ, and Hawaii too. I also like to harass the Alaska and Western Canada as well.
      Happy gaming,
      Crazy Ivan

• @Crazy:

I love the way some of these threads morphe. J1 turns into a B1 and then a USA1.
    I’d like to get back to the J1 though.

Also I love this thread-morphing!
    As I said in our games we do not use bidding, so we can not test your ideas!  :-(

If I can say my opinion, the TRN in east indies fleet is powerful boost for Japan opening move!
    IC on J4? I have read somewhere that an IC in J2 is also useful for Japan.

• Romulas,
      In your play group, how often does your Axis team win?
      The bids used by the “TripleA ladder” and other groups on line and at home, have found that it really helps to not only balance the game, but also helps to get rid of that same old first turn, by giving the Axis at least, some veriables in the game, different strategies to try and win with. Keeps the Allies on their toes as well.
    You and your friends may as well try using the bid system, soon enough you will all want to test yourselves against the convention crowd, and they all use it there.
      C.I.

• I completely agree with you Crazy Ivan! I am not saying that we do not use bidding because we are more smart. The problem is that only in the last few months I have been able to assemble a stable group of A&A players (previously I played casual game with a collegue that had changed work and city and after a long pause I restarted to play from April).

So we are still exploring the old opening moves. I know that I am a green player compared to most of you, and that my question and problem seem older and already resolved to you. Some question of my may also be obvious or stupid, but for now are the question that I may ask related to the problem I have.

You have my word that as soon as possible I have intention to use bidding system.

How many times Axis won in our games? In the last 10 games played Axis won 3 times.
    But, as I have discovered reading the threads on this forum, we are not making the optimal moves with Allies (ok also with Axis we are not doing the optimal moves, so this is the reason of my interest in the forum!)

Said this, when I play Japan, I usually build 3 TRN and 2 INF first turn. How did gone the game? Quite good for Japan, invaded Africa, make distrubance attack in Alaska, conquested Moscow. But Berlin fall in UK following turn, because my German buddy have lost Baltic fleet and leaved open Eastern Europe and after weakened Berlin defense to counterattack. Leaved alone with Japan after some turn of friction battle in Europe, I realized I cannot win against UK and US and conceded the game.

Thanks to this thread I have switched first turn buying to 3 TRN and save 6 IPC. Then on J2 to build a IC in FIC and buying INF in Japan. And I am going to test it this week end. To you this may seem archeologic A&A strategy, I know. But this are my problem.
    I still do not feel ready for convention or for Triple A ladder, maybe between some other months!

• Just remember this when you think of "old"strats in A&A….

If it works it does not matter.

And A&A is cyclic, especially online.  You get beaten by a North African Dominance strat, then you work out how to prevent that, and you win several games in a row against the NAD.  Then you get hit with a different strat, lose, adjust your strat, win some more, etc.  Then someone comes back with the North Africa Dominance and kicks your butt because your modified strats no longer defend against it.

There is no one single always winning strat in Revised.

• @ncscswitch:

There is no one single always winning strat in Revised.

And this is a beautiful think! What I am trying to do is: avoid using a flawed strategy thinking it may be good, and trying to fix it!  :-D

What you said is one of the reason I like A&A. Every one may came out with his own strategy, there are two important things, however, it should be a reasonable strategy and he should be able to make it works (that it is not an obvious thing).

I agree, DM, I don’t WANT to buy capitol ships for England, but sometimes you just don’t have a choice.

Sometimes you do.  But sometimes you dont.

• 2007 AAR League

@DarthMaximus:

I like to try and avoid buying Capital ships with the UK if at all possible.
    Sometimes it is unavoidable, and I kind of like the 1 dd, 1 trn, 1 ftr buy on UK1, but sometimes you may need the UK AC right away.

I usually send the UK fleet to Sz 8 and then merge with the US ships in round 1.  I buy the AC with the US (possibly another ftr as well) and then on Round 2 merge the fleets in Sz 12 and take Alg.

Round three the Brits go to Norway (new trns placed in Sz 6) and the US AC/ftrs and possibly a DD following for added defense with the UK BB and DD.  It really depends on the German threat.  While the US BB and new naval buys from the US go to Sz 12.  From here, the US can continue to supply Afr with troops while the UK focuses on Nor, then Kar.

By Round 4 or 5 you can shift the US north as well, since Afr should be well covered, but I actually perfer to keep supplying Afr (since you need less trns)or then shift the US to Med or to the Pacific.  But before you shift make sure you’ve killed the Baltic Fleet and the Med fleet.  I usually target the Baltic for round 2 or 3 and the Med for round 3 or 4.

I disagree here, Early job for the UK is to clear out the Baltic fleet and hold out in Africa and hit Algeria/Libya and then have the States reinforcing it, it is well worth the money to buy capital ships with the UK to protect her own fleet and trade Karelia to help out the Russians and to move the UK fleet into the Baltic to put preasure on WE/Germany and EE.

By splitting the 2 Naval powers, you can now let the USA fleet jump into the Med and put more preasure on Germany by making her protect SE and reinforce WE more heavily and now Balk and UKR are within range, this should make the allies IPC advantage that they already own weigh more heavily on the Axis.

By having the US fleet in the Med, they force Germany to play more careful and they can hamper any African plans by the Japs and also reinforce Cauc, In my opinion there is endless posibilities here and I recommend to any player to split the Allied Navies.

By stating above it was the UK’s job to clear the Baltic, it’s the USA’s job to clear out the Med as soon as possible.

I have yet to find US presence in the Med helpful.  It has cost me two games I am currently in.  Well, it hasn’t cost me them YET, but that is just a matter of time.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m