• Last night I played a game on Gleemax as the Axis.  I tried this new strategy I called the Japanese False Insertion.

It works kind of like a Canadian Sheild.

Japan does it normal Pearl attack (heavy) and China Invasion and reinforces FIC.

With one TRN (1 INF and 1 ART) + 1 BB goes to Alaska.  The US player moved land units to W Canada and started moving the Atlantic fleet to the Pacific.  They also bought mostly navy units and placed them off the coast of W US.

This may not always happen but in this game it did Japan also purchased 1 IC placed in FIC and took the UK IC in India.  IMO so what if the US took the Pacific they are getting 6 land untis built on Aisa every turn and any air units can be built on Japan.

This left the Atlantic open.  Germany bought 1 CV, 1 TRN and the rest INF.

Gleemax cut me off after that but I think that bought the Axis some valuable time until the Allies recovered (if at all).

Has any one tried this before?

LT

• @LT04:

This may not always happen but in this game it did Japan also purchased 1 IC placed in FIC and took the UK IC in India.  IMO so what if the US took the Pacific they are getting 6 land untis built on Aisa every turn and any air units can be built on Japan.

Gleemax cut me off after that but I think that bought the Axis some valuable time until the Allies recovered (if at all).

LT

I don’t understand what happened?  Thanks.

• I made the US think I was going for them first.  I staged an invasion in Alaska.  I took the territory on Japan 1.

The US moved troops and built a pacific navy on US 1.

On Japan 2 I loaded the troops into the TRN and put them in the SFE.

The US spent their entire first turn budget on a Pacific navy wile the German Navy was built on G1 and sunk the UK fleet on G2 leaving the entire Atlantic open.

LT

EDIT: It was a coo that gave the US player the impression that a Canadian sheild was going to take place.  It tied up their recources had them mass troops as far as they could be from being helpful and allowed the Axis to focus on the traditional KRF.

LT

• nice move!

• It worked out awesome.  Japan had built 1 IC in FIC and captured 1 in India.  They really didn’t need any transports after that even if the US did sink IJN.

I would have loved to see how the game played out but Gleemax still has some bugs so I didn’t get to finish.

LT

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Next time try staging your W. USA invasion from the Solomon’s.  If America does not see it coming, you can take W. USA.  If they do, you are staged to take Hawaii, New Zealand and Australia all at once.  That way, you are not hindering your own advancement, but you could hinder the US significantly.

Just a thought.  Something that’s worked a few times for me. (No one ever suspects Japan’s invasion of W. USA from SZ 45 for some odd reason.)

• @Cmdr:

Just a thought.  Something that’s worked a few times for me. (No one ever suspects Japan’s invasion of W. USA from SZ 45 for some odd reason.)

Yeah, why is that?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@LT04:

@Cmdr:

Yeah, why is that?

I think for a number of reasons:

1)  Who the hell goes for Kill America First anymore?
    1a) If they do, who does not go through Alaska? hehe.

2)  A more serious thought, I think it’s a matter of where the pieces are on the map.  Yes you can hit W. USA from SZ 45 and SZ 44, and yes you can invade from SZ 54 if you are set up right, but people don’t normally look for threats from those zones.  People are used to seeing large Japanese fleets in SZ 45 for one thing, because that’s as close to Australia as Japan can get from SZ 60 in one round.  So nothing looks abnormal too them with just a cursory glance at the board.  Also, it’s all the way on the bottom right of the board!  Corners are historically awesome places to stack your units!  (Especially on classic maps when you had the blow up boxes, no one checked those things!!!)

• @LT04:

Last night I played a game on Gleemax as the Axis.  I tried this new strategy I called the Japanese False Insertion.

It works kind of like a Canadian Sheild.

Japan does it normal Pearl attack (heavy) and China Invasion and reinforces FIC.

With one TRN (1 INF and 1 ART) + 1 BB goes to Alaska.  The US player moved land units to W Canada and started moving the Atlantic fleet to the Pacific.  They also bought mostly navy units and placed them off the coast of W US.

LT

Glad this worked for you, but it looks as if the Gleemax player had no idea what he/she was doing.

I’ve found this to be the case there. Triple A players are gennerally experienced, but most of the Gleemax people seem to really be…not so good. Probably because of inexperience.

Japan never should have taken India, nor should the allies have let there atl fleet get destroyed.

• Yeah, Gleemax would be better if the had the INF, ART, ARM measuring system like we have here.  Or even better a wins / losses / “I quit the game early” counter.

LT

• '19 Moderator

Sounds like fun, but your operational name needs work…

Maybe Operation Backdoor Canada…

Or Toss the Canadian Salad…

• Canadian Balk…

• Alaskas Interuptus…

• I played two games on gleemax today, both times I played axis. The first game I lost against a good opponent, the second game I won, my first victory with axis :) So a veteran you could say I am not.

In the first game, I tried Cpt Jen’s Solomon Island trick, haha, what a flop that turned out to be. I am sure against the beginner it works a treat, but this guy just chucked his British sub in the Hawaiian islands. I was mortified, my two battleships, two planes, and 2 transports loaded with men ready for a massive assault had been delayed an entire turn by a measly sub. When it was my turn I then moved my Jap navy towards the panama canal. The game actually taught me alot. The navy at panama canal had alot of options, it could take the canal and then threaten west and east USA simultaneously, and then when USA had wasted a turn defending both with men, the Jap fleet could attack the allied atlantic fleet that threatens Germany. Now I have no put this idea into practice, but it seems to me that it seriously disrupts the allied all out assault on Germany, at least for 2 to 3 turns. Which in the mean time Jap tanks and Germany infantry will be making their way into Russia’s heartland.

Also I have finally put the aircraft carrier option to rest. Its a dumb idea against a skilled opponent, those 16 ipcs at the beginning of the game are crucial for Germany. If any German player buys an aircraft carrier, I would advise the allies to switch from a KJF to a KGF.

• @LT04:

With one TRN (1 INF and 1 ART) + 1 BB goes to Alaska.

Japan cannot present a viable threat with only one transport. His build will reveal his true intentions.

As the US, HIT that BB/Tran with everything that can reach, it will never again be as vulnerable…land AF in WCan, possibly move CUS troops there to help guard them if Japan built more than one transport. Your US build can vary, but I’d put at least a couple ground units in WUS.

I wouldn’t bother moving the Atlantic fleet to the Pacific…takes too much time, and it’s needed against the Germans in most instances.

• You can’t say for sure that the US had intended on going to Germany - they were probably planning on placing that fleet there from the start.

I disapprove of this strategy.  However, later on in the game, landing 2 transports in western canada usually makes the US way overbuild on ground forces out of panic.

• @General:

I played two games on gleemax today, both times I played axis. The first game I lost against a good opponent, the second game I won, my first victory with axis :) So a veteran you could say I am not.

Also I have finally put the aircraft carrier option to rest. Its a dumb idea against a skilled opponent, those 16 ipcs at the beginning of the game are crucial for Germany. If any German player buys an aircraft carrier, I would advise the allies to switch from a KJF to a KGF.

I would spend a bit more time reading this site, plue the old A&A avalon hill forums, plus Caspian Sub. A german carrier is a fine option, if you know when to use it and what you are doing with it.

• Yes well I have played five games with the aircraft carrier. I mean its 16 ipcs, so in a game where all allied nations go all out on Germany, its very nerve racking. Infact I believe it just enables the allies to get to close to soon. Yes I probably should read a bit more on it, but most people say not to use it to destroy allied fleets because its better off sitting there just defending the sea adjacent to Germany.

• Just joined caspian sub, reading a great paper on german naval fleet. It recommends three transports not an aircraft carrier on rd 1. So looks like I have been going about the german navy in the wrong way.

• @General:

Just joined caspian sub, reading a great paper on german naval fleet. It recommends three transports not an aircraft carrier on rd 1. So looks like I have been going about the german navy in the wrong way.

Caspian does recommend transports. And it works.

But that doesnt mean an AC is a bad buy.

You really need more experience with it then 5 games to know what works and what doesnt.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m