• Hello everyone! I am working currently on a 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis variant for the Europe 1940 map. I don’t have any plans to do the Pacific map with it but if I do, I will update you all so we can work on trying to balance it for global (since I can only play with 1 theatre at a time).

When my first draft is finished, I will make a new thread for it in the other variants category and send the link to it here.

Some new additions to look forward to:

• recruitment bases
    • new unit names and unit values
    • Africa, Middle East, and South America important finally
    • aircraft are completely revised
    • Diplomacy! (Try to get the non-aligned powers to join your side)
  • PantherP Panther moved this topic from House Rules on

• All Encompassing GooseA All Encompassing Goose referenced this topic on

• @all-encompassing-goose

Very cool! The 1960s seem to be close. China, Japan, and North Korea should be included sometime though.

• @superbattleshipyamato Once I get the Europe version playable, I will work on a Pacific version but it will be up to someone to balance it for Global. One of the problems for the Pacific version will be making it possible for the USA to still win the war if the South Asian territories are taken similar to Japan. I think that the Soviets should be prohibited from entering into Chinese territory but still kinda be in the same alliance. Also, having a Pakistan and India for the Global map thinking about it will probably unbalance the middle east as for the Europe map, Pakistan (west india in the game) is to help Iran from the Soviets a bit (unless I change some things) I think for 0.2 I should make Northwest Persia an impassible zone because the Eastern alliance can invade them pretty easily. Maybe I should add some American troops in Saudi Arabia and Iran to help them out because the Soviets will pour through Turkey but it does make Turkey a very strategic target for the Soviets. Lots of new ideas to think about but I will have to playtest my first version before adding anything drastic.

• @all-encompassing-goose You might want to consider Twilight Struggle-esque rules for influencing neutrals. Rather than each nation having to go to 0/40 (could it be 20/-20 instead?), each nation has a certain threshold for “successfully influenced” based on the stability of that nation–weaker gvmts are easier to influence.

Would also be interesting to have an asymmetry in how the powers influence nations. Perhaps the Warsaw Pact rolls at -1 but each successful influence by them adds a bonus influence to the track of each nation adjacent to it? Perhaps NATO gets an automatic +3 to each nation they try to influence, but the Warsaw Pact gets to choose one or two nearby nations to add an additional influence to.

I think given that it’s the Cold War, perhaps you could change the A&A system somewhat to reflect the less-than-total-war nature of the conflict. Perhaps you get 8 actions per turn, and must distribute them among any combination of combat, non-combat, and diplomacy rolls.

Do you play on playtesting the rules soon? Excited to see how it goes!

• @hengst Thank you for the suggestions! Since there’s a 1 to 40 track on the Axis and Allies Europe board I put it like that. It kinda represents a sort of 20/-20 system with “20” on the number track being “0” in the system you suggested. I like the idea of asymmetry for the Diplomacy rolls and will try to implement it in future versions. Having a set number of actions per turn and the changing of them as the war progresses is a good idea too. Maybe, for example, the Soviets get 10 actions, the Eastern-aligned get 5, and maybe 8 for NATO and 4 for Western-aligned in the first round. Then after time depending on what strategic points you gain or lose you gain action points. Maybe this will encourage the Americans to fight into Africa and South America to gain these action points. It also makes the game go a little slower but the variability will be better with each side picking where they want to devote their resources to.

I will be playtesting the first version over the weekend (4 days from now) so stay tuned. :)

• @all-encompassing-goose Awesome! I always liked the idea of reducing actions per turn just because it does make turns go faster, so one player isn’t waiting forever for the other :)

Perhaps it’ll be easier to influence some nations if you capture territory close to them or you make a show of force by sailing through their territorial waters. Winning should also make it easier to influence nations.

• @superbattleshipyamato @hengst

Will be adding this to the 0.2 rulebook to check for playtesting this weekend. Sorry if it’s hard to understand right now.

DIPLOMACY RULES:

To align a green country, on our board there’s a number track that goes from 1 to 40. 1-20 will be NATO aligned (1 being you are now apart of the NATO alliance) and same with 21-40 but with the USSR alliance being at 40. I recommend using a -20 to 20 number track with “0” being our “20”.

And all of those green countries are aligned based on how historically they were in 1964. So some countries might be closer to 1 on the number track (NATO aligned) which will make it easier to align them to the NATO side. Warsaw Pact / NATO can choose either to give it to themselves or to align it with the eastern/western aligned economy-military.

To influence a non-aligned country, only NATO (West) and the Warsaw Pact (East) can influence. You need to spend 2 action points but there are other ways to influence a non-aligned country. When spending 2 action points, you will be given 1 d6. You can spend as many action points as you have on d6’s to roll. Choose what country you choose to influence and what number you roll is how many points will be going to the direction to your side (to 1 or 40; West to East)

How you can influence non-aligned nations to join your side depends on some factors. When there is a + with a number, it means that the country you are influencing will go towards your side (either towards 1 or 40).
    +3 to the West if the neighboring aligned province is invaded by Eastern forces.
    +10 to the West for Spain and Ireland if Paris is captured by Eastern forces.
    +3 added to the West automatically if the West rolls for influence on a country. The East, however, gets to choose 1 other country to roll for influence for free.
    +2 added if the West or East chooses to spend 5 IPC’s if they have already spent 2 action points for an influence roll.
    +12 to the West for Brazil if West Indies is captured by NATO.

You can also choose to invade any non-aligned (green) country in your combat phase. Remember that a “country” is one territory excluding Libya + Tobruk. The non-aligned power is not its own faction. You may choose anything that differentiates each non-aligned country on the number track (or however you do your diplomacy)

ALL COUNTRIES START AT 20 BESIDES::
    Spain (12)
    Brazil (25)
    Ireland (18)
    Sweden (15)

So to be clear, one action point allows you one dice and you haven’ decided on how many action points each power has?

By the way, which powers will be independent? I have a feeling both France and UK should be independent powers instead of subordinate to NATO.

• @superbattleshipyamato Paris is 2 turns away from the Soviet army. In my opinion, having an independent France would be kind of boring unless maybe someone divided the NATO faction into 2 people (one playing the American forces while one playing the European forces) if you have more than 4 players to play with. I may consider putting that in the rulebook in some sort of suggestion category

You’re right. Making France independent depends on whether you plan on Paris being captured early.

• Just set up the board and ready to playtest! The Italian roundels are the non-aligned countries and will be removed for each “country” with their units replaced with the side they have been influenced to be on. The green pieces are the “recruitment bases.” The blue pieces are the “naval bases”

20230212_142726.jpg 20230212_142723.jpg 20230212_142711.jpg 20230212_142703.jpg 20230212_142705.jpg 20230212_142659.jpg 20230212_142655.jpg

• 2024 2023 '22

@all-encompassing-goose

Well, it’s certainly funky for a World War 2 map simulate 1962.

Quick notices:

What are the German roundels for?

What are the British roundels for?

Funny using Shermans to represent Pattons, and all the other World War 2 units representing equipment 20 years later.

Overall, the game looks doable and playable, if a bit cluttered without chips, which I never use.

By the way, the US mechanised infantry in Southern France is upside down.

• @superbattleshipyamato the German roundels are for the Eastern-aligned minor powers and the British are for the Western-aligned minor powers. I can’t afford custom units for this game lol. What do you use other than chips? The game is very crowded but will clear up after the first round. My next addition will be adding flight stands so it will help you lessen the clutter on my behalf.

I just buy more pieces and limit the amount of units at any given time to those that are available.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m