• I’ve seen that a lot of people like buying mechs, and I totally get it for Germany(after a few games of failing Barbarossa) but what other nations do you guys like to buy them for? Please also mention why and how many etc. Russia in particular, I usually just buy infantry instead of mechs. Why buy mechs when they cost more?

• @tin-can-of-the-sea

Hey Tin

The only 2 nations you’ll really be buying mechs is Germany, as you mentioned, and then the UK.

Germany is self explanatory, you’re more than likely going to buy some mechs for fast movers to support the tanks when trying to rush for Stalingrad.

The UK will more often than not be buying lots of mechs due to the vast size of their empire. It takes lots of time for infantry and artillery to go from S. Africa to Egypt or Egypt to India and sometimes you might now always have the transports you need to transport large amounts of units from point A to point B. A common place where mechs can be produced is Persia where you produce them there and they have the potential along with any mobilized tanks to move 2 in any direction and be in Egypt or India or Stalingrad on the dime instead of slow moving infantry.

As for everybody else, Italy won’t be buying mech, America as well won’t be using mechs much, Japan could use mechs for crossing Southern Asia and China but that isn’t very cost effective for them since UK Pacific and China don’t fight with that same effectiveness as well as the uselessness of mechs on islands. THe Soviet Union could buy mechs but that’s only in the mid to late game when they’ve got the Germans on the run.

• @tin-can-of-the-sea They look cool

• @flyingbadger said in How and when do you use mechs?:

@tin-can-of-the-sea They look cool

Well, except Japan’s

• @flyingbadger

Thats a joke you can’t tell me Japan’s mech infantry look bad when Italy be driving Fed Ex trucks for mech infantry around Africa

• @thedesertfox said in How and when do you use mechs?:

@flyingbadger

Thats a joke you can’t tell me Japan’s mech infantry look bad when Italy be driving Fed Ex trucks for mech infantry around Africa

My mistake, you’re right, them too. The important thing is to always make purchases solely on the basis on how the unit looks.

• @flyingbadger

Exactly, Purchasing 101 in Global 40, purchase the units that look cool. If your nations infantry don’t look cool then don’t purchase them.

You should also purchase the well crafted plastic pieces, so don’t purchase German tanks since the barrels can break off easily as well as don’t purchase those stupid wobbly aircraft carriers they have as well, like you can’t even balance a strategic bomber on it

• @tin-can-of-the-sea

Speed is the reason to buy Mechs over infantry. Units that can make the battlefield when dice are rolling are more important than those that are in the pipeline.

In order of usage:
    1 - Germany. Not even close for anyone else. The need to get to Moscow with as much as possible as fast as possible plus the need to get to the Middle East afterwards makes Germany the mechanized infantry king. Useful for protecting West Germany, Normandy and Southern Europe too.
    2 - UK Europe. Building units in South Africa and the Middle East makes UK Europe the mechanized infantry Queen. Having a bunch of mechs in the Middle East protects India, threatens the Caucasus/Volgograd and protects Egypt.
    3, 4, 5 and 6 - Russia, UK Pacific, Japan and Italy. Russia, maybe 3-4, because a few fast movers with tanks helps project force against small German detachments. UK Pacific, maybe 5-6, to help fight for Yunnan and Kwantung while still protecting India. Japan, maybe 3-4 to help get control of China faster. Italy, maybe 4-5, to send to the Russian front as can openers and West Germany to be able to move from West Germany to Normandy to Rome as needed.
    8 and 9. France and China. If France ever gets to build infantry is the way to go. China can’t build mechs so they are last.

• @andrewaagamer

That pretty much sums it up. Germany can’t afford for their tanks to wait for the infantry and artillery to catch up, which is why mech infantry are the key ingredient to winning the war on the Eastern Front

• @thedesertfox thanks, I kinda figured it was mainly Germany but I just wanted to make sure

• @flyingbadger very true, I’d say ANZAC has the coolest units overall

• @tin-can-of-the-sea

No problem, you know Germany will be using it but to answer your question the UK both on Europe and the Pacific use alot of Mech infantry

• @tin-can-of-the-sea

In all seriousness ANZAC kinda has the coolest looking Anti Aircraft Artillery, cool enough to actually make me buy it sometimes.

• @thedesertfox @Tin-Can-of-the-Sea
    You’re both right about ANZAC units. They have the best colour.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m