What is Axis and Allies Miniatures?

• Hi Guys

I new to this forum, although I have looked at it quite a few times and I really like it. Well I have a few questions that I hope I can get some help with?

1. what is axis and allies minatures?
    2. what do I need?
    3. If I need certain game pieces where would I purchase them from?

Thanks for any help, and hope to meet some new friends here :-) :-)

Jeremy.

• Unfortunately , there do not seem to be many people willing to spread their experience and knowledge of the game to new players like you and I.  I posted a message trying to learn more about the game and had many views but few actually responses.

It is a shame since that is the best way to nurture and expand the game.

I myself am a new player so I wont be the most knowledgable person to speak on the game, but I’ll give it a shot.

A&A Mini’s is a two player turn-based wargame using miniatures as game pieces.

You need at least a starter set in order to play.

It will include game pieces, rules, maps, counters and dice.  Enough for a bare bones two player game.  You can also buy booster packs on the miniatures to expand your collection.

You can purchase the starter sets and boosters many places.  Local Hobby and Game stores or various locations on the net like Ebay or the Wizards of the Coast homepage.  Hope im not breaking any board rules regarding advertising  :)

Hope this is helpful to you.

• @KansasBoyd:

Unfortunately , there do not seem to be many people willing to spread their experience and knowledge of the game to new players like you and I.  I posted a message trying to learn more about the game and had many views but few actually responses.

It is a shame since that is the best way to nurture and expand the game.

I’m quite positive that most views are other curious people who couldn’t answer your questions. The few replies you got were probably the majority of the core posters. There aren’t alot it seems.

Anyway, F1fan, I’ll give your questions a shot:

(1) Axis and Allies Miniatures is a tactical hybrid of a traditional tabletop wargame and standard boardgames. Each player builds and army based on an agreed number of points (the standard armies are 100 points, but it seems that alot of people here ignore that rule and go for bigger armies), one side being Allies and the other Axis. The units are represented by excellent prepainted game pieces (in my opinion they’re excellent!). Each unit has a corresponding game card that details it’s abilities, such as how effective it is at certain ranges versus enemy armor or soldiers, how well it defends against attacks, and other rules bits. Each player takes turns kicking the hell out of the other side until one side wins, which is usually determined by holding key objectives represented on the map.

It’s actually alot of fun.  :mrgreen:

(2) All you need is the Starter Set, which contains the 4 maps you battle on (maps = game board), dice, enough units to play the game, and the little details like the cards and counters. Now, you only need that, but you will want more… seriously, just the Starter Set is very limited. You’ll want a few extra booster sets to have more models to use, which means different tactics and play. Also, you might want to invest in a second Starter Set: one set has enough maps to play on, but it’s too small! An extra Starter means another 4 maps to connect to the board, allowing for large maneuvers and deployment and a helluva lot more points on the table!

(3) Some game stores sell singles. Ebay does too. If you Google for them you’ll find a decent amount of online stores selling pieces. Some people here, myself included, are down for trading amongst ourselves too.

I hope this helped some.

-=Grim=-

• If you got the cash take GrimJesta’s suggestion and get two starter sets. Much more fun. The game is also playable with four people if you add that second starter set. Two teams of two players using 200 or more point armies on each side provides plenty of gameplay for everyone. A two-player 6-map configuration with slightly larger armies is also fun (to give you feel for the sizing a 6-map setuo covers a 4x4 card table completely, map hex size is 2 inches I believe). It is not bad for soliatire scenarios either.

The pieces are really sharp. They improved the game in their second release by adding snipers and paratroopers. The third set release is promising air support units and AA guns.

I personally am very happy with it.

• Definitely go with 2 starter sets a few boosters if possible.  I would try and stick with the base set until you’re happy with the quantity of pieces you have.  Infantry can be more effective for you when you have units in quantity to choose from.  I’ve been playing Axis & Allies for almost 20 years and find this version most enjoyable.  I could never get into those war games that come with a book and pieces of paper for pieces, nor did I have the patience for painting GHQ miniatures.  I find Axis & Allies Miniatures to be a  compromise that fits for those who feel the same as I do, but want more detail in Axis & Allies itself.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m