• Title says it all. Personally, I’m still waiting to hear more, but he doesn’t seem like a bad choice. Very experienced, seems like a fairly straight interpreter of the Constitution, I like most of his rulings (i.e., the 1996 abortion ruling, from which he dissented). Does have a few rulings I disliked, though I can’t at the moment recall exactly what they were, but on the whole, I’ll say I’m withholding final opinion.

• Let’s give the man his day in court and we’ll see where it goes.

Rune Blade

• Just seems like your typical “Moderate because I’m really interested in maintaining the status quo, but I don’t like Roe vs Wade” type nominees, which beats being a true conservative nominee in my book.

I’m for Alito because a) I want Roe vs Wade overturned and b) He’s pro-gay rights and c) He beats a conservative activist.

• @Yanny:

Just seems like your typical “Moderate because I’m really interested in maintaining the status quo, but I don’t like Roe vs Wade” type nominees, which beats being a true conservative nominee in my book.

I’m for her because a) I want Roe vs Wade overturned and b) He’s pro-gay rights and c) He beats a conservative activist.

Alito’s very hard to pin down. He seemed Scalia-like, at first glance, but looking at his rulings, he’s all over the place. He was in favor of spousal notification for abortion, but also…

"In 1995, Alito joined a 3-0 ruling that made it easier for poor women who were victims of rape and incest to obtain a free abortion paid for with federal funds. Federal law generally forbids paying for abortions, except when the mother’s life is in danger or in cases of rape and incest.

…Five years ago, Alito joined a 3-0 ruling that struck down New Jersey’s ban on a type of late-term abortion that critics call “partial-birth” abortion. In a concurring opinion, Alito said the law was clear." http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002596692_alitoabortion01.html

Also, “Ruled the Constitution does not afford protection to the unborn in a 1997 challenge to a New Jersey law that prevents parents from suing for damages on behalf of the wrongful death of a fetus.”

I can’t see a pro-lifer ever ruling in favor of any funding for abortions and CERTAINLY NOT in favor of “partial-birth” abortions. I think Alito may be rare in that he can actually set aside personal bias and rule on the basis of law alone.

• Those were the rulings I was referring to when I said I still had reservations. If he lacks a clear stance on abortion, it leads me to think he’ll lack a clear stance on other important issues, which is something I’d rather avoid. And, if his stance is that the Constitution somehow includes an article assuring that abortions are to be free and federally protected… I’m sure you can all guess my reaction to that ;).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m