Sports… my thoughts...what are yours?

• I recently heard an explanation that cooled my opinion of playoffs.
    The basic point was that anything can happen in one game([football]baseball has recently had these to determine who gets to be the wild card team), five games(many play-offs), or seven games(most finals.) I find it odd that the best 4 of 7 is only winning 57.14285%. Whereas, best 3 of 5 is winning 60%!

Oddly enough, I usually enjoy the NCAA(BB and football)and NFL playoffs, all really one game playoffs, more than the long-series playoffs!

I like the referee’s making errors in calls, too. It makes the argument over #1 continue even after the trophy is awarded!

It’s all just bread and circuses to keep the masses distracted(which is what the hoi polloi thinks it wants/needs anyway.)

• Sports! lol all of you HAVE to read George Carlin’s opinion on every sport, funny as hell :lol:

as for my thoughts though…I dunno, I only like rough sports. The only sport I’ll watch is boxing! I took boxing lessons for a couple months last year, I liked it. And I must admit, even though I’m a Canadian, I can’t stand hockey.

• ctm,
    Did you see Muhammed Ali when he appeared at the 2000 Olympics opening? How about how well Mike Tyson thinks and talks now(he’s only 40!)

• :o nope, missed Ali at the olympics opening…last time i saw him on tv he was on some talk show with Will Smith, they were talking about Ali (the movie). I loved that movie! Also got this documentary on Ali…haha and at the grocery store, I always put my receipts in the charity box for Parkinsons disease (Ali has it), damn I’m devoted.

lol and yes, Mike Tyson’s certainly an interesting character :) “i’m gonna eat his children” lmao I love it

• You are barbaric!

Didn’t Carlin talk about how so many activities we call sports aren’t? Or was that someone else?

I recall comments like…
    Golf…hitting a little ball with a stick, walking after it…
    Darts…throwing a sharp object at a defenseless board…
    Ping pong…whacking a little ball at a guy less than 12-20 feet from you…
    Bowling…drinking beer, smoking and throwing a heavy ball down a lane to see how many pins stay up…

Here’s a question…If below par is good why do most people mean bad or poorly when they say, “I’m feeling under/below par?”

Another question…Where does the phrase “the whole nine yards” originate.

• @El:

You are barbaric!

Didn’t Carlin talk about how so many activities we call sports aren’t? Or was that someone else?

I recall comments like…
    Golf…hitting a little ball with a stick, walking after it…
    Darts…throwing a sharp object at a defenseless board…
    Ping pong…whacking a little ball at a guy less than 12-20 feet from you…
    Bowling…drinking beer, smoking and throwing a heavy ball down a lane to see how many pins stay up…

Here’s a question…If below par is good why do most people mean bad or poorly when they say, “I’m feeling under/below par?”

Another question…Where does the phrase “the whole nine yards” originate.

i agree - i don’t get why people say that either.
    “the whole nine yards” refers to the length of an ammo belt for an early machine gun. I forget if it was an airplane mounted one. Anyway, giving someone “the whole nine yards” meant basically going apesh*t on them and shooting at them with all you had.

• @El:

Yes! :D here’s some of it:

Hockey comes to mind. People think hockey is a sport. It’s not. Hockey is three activities taking place at the same time: ice skating, fooling around with a puck, and beating the shit out of somebody.
    If these guys had more brains than teeth, they’re do these things one at a time. First you go ice skating, then you fool around with a puck, then you go to the bar and beat the shit out of somebody. The day would last longer, and these guys would have a whole lot more fun.
    Another reason hockey is not a sport is that it’s not played with a ball. Anything not played with a ball can’t be a sport. These are my rules, I make 'em up.

Soccer. Soccer is not a sport because you can’t use your arms. Anything where you can’t use your arms can’t be a sport. Tap dancing isn’t a sport. I rest my case.

Boxing is not a sport either. Boxing is a way to beat the shit out of somebody. In that respect, boxing is actually a more sophisticated form of hockey. In spite of what the police tell you, beating the shit ouf of somebody is not a sport. When police brutality becomes an olympic event, fine, then boxing can be a sport.

Bowling. Bowling isn’t a sport because you have to rent the shoes. Don’t forget, these are my rules. I make 'em up.

:lol: That’s just some of it though. He also does running, swimming, sailing, billiards, darts, lacrosse, field hockey/fencing, gymnastics, polo, hunting, tennis, volleyball, and golf. If you wanna hear any, just lemme know!

• I’m dumb! :-?
    Do they have comedy Cds in the stores?
    Last comedy I picked up was on cassette. :o
    If Carlin has this on Cd what is the title?
    I gotta get it! 8)

• Hmmm yep, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen some of his stuff on CD. However that sports stuff I was quoting was from one of his books: “Napalm and Silly Putty” 8)

• @El:

How about how well Mike Tyson thinks and talks now(he’s only 40!)

hahahaha…did you see the show just yesterday about him, on The Pulse? Hilarious :lol: “yeah well now I wish I really did rape that b*tch and kill her mother, I hate her” lol the whole show is stuff like that. That guy’s quality entertainment

• '19 Moderator

@El:

Par simply means what the standard. If Par for the course is 72 then 72 strokes is the standard # of strokes needed to finnish the course. If you shoot under par you are doing well.

On the contrary if you are feeling under par, you are feeling worse than standard or normal, thus bad. :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m