What constituted a "Win" for the Axis?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

The Destruction of Britain, Russia, America, etc, is no simple feat.

When would the Axis powers had drawn the line, if say - they were winning?  Was total world conquest the goal ?  I don’t think so. But I’m looking for other peoples thoughts here… ?

I mean, would Japan have invaded continental USA?  Or Germany?  Or would the Axis have sued for Peace after accomplishing the bulk of their “noble” goals :D.

For the record too, what was the Japanese Goal?  They attacked us, and as culturally methodical as they were (are) they must have had a grand strategy in place?  What was the premise? Oil alone?

• '10

@Gargantua:

When would the Axis powers had drawn the line, if say - they were winning?  Was total world conquest the goal ?  I don’t think so. But I’m looking for other peoples thoughts here… ?

I mean, would Japan have invaded continental USA?  Or Germany?   Or would the Axis have sued for Peace after accomplishing the bulk of their “noble” goals :D.

For the record too, what was the Japanese Goal?  They attacked us, and as culturally methodical as they were (are) they must have had a grand strategy in place?  What was the premise? Oil alone?

The Japanese War Aim, was to push the “Western” Powers out of Asia…  Give the nations of Asia “independace” as client states of their greater economic empire.

They imagined the western powers would sue for peace and negotiate after all of Asia was under their control.

• I know this was Japans scheme for victory http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_East_Asia_Co-Prosperity_Sphere
    The Greater east asian co-prosperity sphere was Japans aim of uniting and dominating all of the far east under their empire.

For the Germans I know their main goal was the reunification of all Germans under one goverment and then the destruction of Soviet communism. Hitler didnt want a war with Britian and was actually hoping for an alliance between Britians great sea empire and his German land empire. If he could have made a spearate peace with Britian (and the anglo-american alliance as a whole later on) and focused on pushing the Soviets back behind the urals that would have been a victory for the Germans.

The Italians were hoping to recreate the “glory of rome” and turn the Med into their own personal lake. In more specific terms, Italy wanted control of North Africa, including a land corridor between Libya and Italian east Africa (ethopia) that cut through British controlled Sudan. Italy wanted control of the Dalmatia coast which had been promised to them in the treaty of London that had brought them in to WW1. Italy also wanted the territory Savoy and Niece in southern France returned to them. This one is actually legit as the French goverment forced Italy to cede both of these to France in exchange for an alliance against Austria during the Italian unification wars in the 1860’s

• @Gargantua:

I mean, would Japan have invaded continental USA?  Or Germany?   Or would the Axis have sued for Peace after accomplishing the bulk of their “noble” goals :D.

IIRC, according to the unpublished 2nd part of Mein Kampf, written on 1928, the ultimate goal of Nazi Germany would be the complete domination of Europe and its resources (including the conquest of the European part of Russia) to prepare for a final showdown with the US on the long term. For that Hitler envisaged an alliance with the UK and the destruction of the Soviet Union, while taking control of Central Europe and eliminating France as an European power.
    On mid 1941 Hitler had plans for a massive naval build up to defeat the US on the oceans and on 1942 both Germany and Japan signed a treaty dividing Asia. However on 1943 Himmler stated that the final conflict would be between Europeans (led by the Aryans) against the Asian peoples. So the most likely result would have been to neutralize the US without any actual invasion of North America and then both Japan and Germany would likely turn against one another.

• A victory for the Axis would consist of a wreck British economy, an enslaved Russia and an isolated United States.

• @Gargantua:

During WWI, Britain and France had imposed a food blockade on Germany which resulted in hundreds of thousands of hunger-related deaths. This food blockade was continued into 1919 to force Germany to sign the Versailles Treaty.

Germany was (and is) a net importer of food and of raw materials, and a net exporter of manufactured goods. The money from manufactured goods sales is required to pay for the necessary food and raw materials. During the Versailles Treaty, draconian reparations payments to Britain and France used up much of the money obtained from manufactured goods sales. This meant that Germany lacked the money with which to import the needed quantities of food. Germans often went hungry in the '20s, at least during bad economic times.

The Weimar Republic borrowed large quantities of money from the United States in order to lessen the suffering of the German people. While this borrowing was helpful over the short-term, it created another long-term financial burden for Germany. As Germany borrowed more and more money from the U.S., interest payments became increasingly burdensome.

The situation worsened in the late '20s and early '30s, as the British and French empires, as well as the U.S., began closing their borders to German imports. Germany’s ability to pay for anything was contingent on export of manufactured goods. Its financial situation was precarious enough already, without the loss of three of the largest markets for its exports. The less Germany exported, the less food it could afford to buy.

Nazis’ views were deeply affected by these life experiences. Hitler envisioned a Germany which had enough living space, or Lebensraum, to feed its people, regardless of the existence of a food blockade or bad economic circumstances. He also observed that no one had ever imposed a Versailles Treaty on the United States. He wanted Germany to be equally secure against Versailles Treaties. His envisioned method for achieving this was to cause Germany to have the same strength in relation to Europe that the U.S. had in relation to North America.

Hitler believed that by conquering the Soviet Union, he could achieve both Lebensraum and a Germany strong enough to resist future Versailles Treaties. In addition, conquest of the Soviet Union would strike a serious blow against communism. (Though communists would continue to exert influence in Western nations.)

Victory for Germany meant four things. 1) Conquest of the Soviet Union, or at least the portion of the Soviet Union west of the Urals. 2) A peace treaty with whatever portion of the Soviet Union Germany didn’t conquer. 3) Peace with the Western democracies. 4) A long-term program of resettling the western portion of conquered Soviet territory with Germans; in order to create a long-term increase in the population base of Germans.

If a nation is weak, it risks being forced into war by a stronger neighbor. That risk may have been heightened for Germany, due to the fact that both Stalin and most Western democratic leaders were hostile to Nazism. Hitler’s long-range plan for Germany involved making it too strong to become a target for anyone. Had Germany achieved this long-range plan, Hitler’s core objectives would have been met.

• Extermination of Jewish Bolshevism on the Europe map; Militarist face-saving on the Pacific map.

• I remembered I watched a Video about this long ago. But I remember it:

1.Germany: they wanted to rule Europe and Western Russian as a one empire. They also wanted to destroy communism forever plus wipe every Jew off the face of the earth. :-o

2. Italy: Italy is simple: Create a “New Roman Empire”. They wanted Italy South spain,south France,Greece,Turkey,Western Middle east, and North Africa. They were also rename the med “Italy Lake” :lol:

3.Axis minors: They were forced to go with the Axis or be invaded. :lol:

4. Japan: They wanted to rule Asia and the pacific, saying “Asian is for Asians”. They wanted a Empire of the Rising sun.

I do not know if axis wanted to Invade North America, But their common goal was “Conquest”, Like Rome,Greece,Persia,Holy Roman,Franks, and alot of other empires.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m