Axis and Allies first turns - United Kingdom

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Don’t feel bad, most people miss that connection because they are used to classic where Alaska miraculously grows to the top of the board!

Thankfully, they did away with the W. Canada linkage to the Hudson bay. hehe.  THough, if it were me, I woulda split SZ 1 into the Hudson and the NW Atlantic and kept the linkage.

• First time I played Revised I was Germany, but game went too long (at a convention). I couldn’t finish it, but I was losing.  My partner playing Japan had more fun due to KGF.  I am hoping to try out Allies KJF when I get the chance.  Details like US bom to SZ60 could be handy.

However, Jennifer, you are totally into calculated risks and trying to kill more stuff than you lose in any given battle.  I assume US bom to SZ60 only happens if J1 does NOT wipe out SZ52, but how often does that happen?

US Bomber to SZ 60 happens whenever Japan leaves transports unprotected in SZ 60 and I own Buryatia. :)

Otherwise, my bomber lands in Algeria so i can sink the German med fleet.

• 2007 AAR League

If you go KJF, you have to have an IC in India

I would only advise this if you make the atack 3 inf, india to French indo china + 1 fig SZ35 to French indo china, and manages to kill atleast the 2 inf´s there, if you fail put the IC in Australia or Southafrica or it will be lost on J1.

• @Nix:

If you go KJF, you have to have an IC in India

I would only advise this if you make the atack 3 inf, india to French indo china + 1 fig SZ35 to French indo china, and manages to kill atleast the 2 inf´s there, if you fail put the IC in Australia or Southafrica or it will be lost on J1.

Agreed, but you make your decision whether to buy IC before combat, so let’s say you buy IC and kiil nothing in FIC, where do you put your IC?

• 2007 AAR League

Australia or Southafrica depending on what you want to do;

Australia=KJF, US needs to put up shop in Sinkiang and/or build pacific fleet, Ukmoves AC,Trn, Aussies ub+trn to SZ30 (best if this was thought out on R1 so a rusian fig could land on carrier) builds a BB UK2 in australia, and unite fleet if neccesary.

Southafrica=KGF, uses this to stop German advancement in Africa (and might hinder japaneese from conquering it later on)

• @goldenbearflyer:

It can land in Bury. E Can-W Can-sz63-sz62-sz60-Bury.

Wow, I totally missed the small connection between WCan and SZ63 at the top of the map.Â

Yeah - I missed this once too. Unfortunately, my opponent showed it to me with 8 INF, 8 ARM in western Canada. Remember to keep a few good defending US units in west US. It’s a pretty embarrassing way to lose.

• I <3 these threads.  Seriously.

Ive never quite been able to get a KJF to work properly.

• 2007 AAR League

@goldenbearflyer:

It can land in Bury. E Can-W Can-sz63-sz62-sz60-Bury.

Wow, I totally missed the small connection between WCan and SZ63 at the top of the map.  That almost seems unfair to bypass Alaska! 8-)  Thanks, U-505.  Off topic, your moniker implies you like playing Germany.  With NA I saw a guy take U-Boat Interdiction and buy subs, taking away something like 16IPCs per turn from the Allies.  Have you tried that?

I have yet to play with NA’s. Nobody here really uses them and some are more powerful than others so it can unbalance the game.

And yes, I do prefer to play Germany, or Japan. Each for different reasons.

As far as UK goes, I think it’s wasteful to go KJF simply because you can’t focus all of UK’s income to Asia. Unless England is exclusively used to build aircraft to support KJF once it has been fortified enough to prevent a German invasion.

Well, I think NAs might be having a renessaince.  I’m seeing more and more players pulling out NAs just to add some flavor to the game.

• @Jennifer:

Well, I think NAs might be having a renessaince.  I’m seeing more and more players pulling out NAs just to add some flavor to the game.

What did you think of the Enhanced NA’s?

I really havn’t delved much into the AARHE and I’ve only played AARe once.  AARe makes Germany way too powerful.  Mainly because its almost impossible to find submarines in the game which means Germany can float 4 submarines around England and cut their production by almost 100%.

I think the Uboat interdiction rules need to be amended.  Either make it easier to find submarines by giving America and England Sonar Planes/Bouys like they had so that planes can detect submarines without destroyers and then kill them or do away with the interdiction.

Also, Hawaii should not be a VC.  Make it Anchorage, AL.  Hawaii is too difficult for America to defend in a traditional game.  On the flip side, Ukraine needs to be a VC.

• @Jennifer:

I really havn’t delved much into the AARHE and I’ve only played AARe once.  AARe makes Germany way too powerful.  Mainly because its almost impossible to find submarines in the game which means Germany can float 4 submarines around England and cut their production by almost 100%.

I think the Uboat interdiction rules need to be amended.  Either make it easier to find submarines by giving America and England Sonar Planes/Bouys like they had so that planes can detect submarines without destroyers and then kill them or do away with the interdiction.

Also, Hawaii should not be a VC.  Make it Anchorage, AL.  Hawaii is too difficult for America to defend in a traditional game.  On the flip side, Ukraine needs to be a VC.

Thanks for your feedback, since this thread was about National Advantages, I was more asking your opinion of the NA’s themselves and not too much of the overall Enhanced rules set.  We can discuss that elsewhere……

• Well, back on topic about UK first turns, I agree that KJF is not so great for UK.  When I think of KJF I think of US KJF.  Do the math:  US pits 42 IPCs against 30 for J.  UK + R = 54 to 40 for G.  UK must help R.  When people talk about UK KJF, that often translates to “build IC in India”.  Everyone knows this subsequently drains 9 or more IPCs per turn away from the Western front.  But that’s the challenge, can UK split its efforts and be effective?  That’s why UK is probably my favorite nation to play – in sports you would call them the “X factor”, the difference maker.

• KJF Plan 1:  (UK/USSR take on Germany, US takes on Japan)

USSR:  “Stall those Germans!  Trade territory!”
    UK:  “My air force is bigger than Jesus!”
    US:  “My air force IS Jesus.”

KJF Plan 2:  (UK IC in India, US IC in India)

USSR:  “Ooo, Imma smack you so hard with these Burytia infantry!”
    UK:  “And Imma protect those Burytia infantry with my fighter!”
    US:  “I can’t see the water.  I have too many ships.”

• UK:  “My air force is bigger than Jesus!”

If John Lennon and the Beatles had been around, he would have said they were bigger than RAF AND Jesus.  Wait, was he a baby in WWII?  Maybe he WAS there.

• @newpaintbrush:

US:  “I can’t see the water.  I have too many ships.”

No, you need to re-roll your attack on my US fleet, there are TWO red chips under the Battleship, not 1…
    :mrgreen:

• @ncscswitch:

@newpaintbrush:

US: “I can’t see the water. I have too many ships.”

No, you need to re-roll your attack on my US fleet, there are TWO red chips under the Battleship, not 1…
    :mrgreen:

Until I read the Caspian Sub policy papers, I would not have really gotten that joke!

• Sorry, I guess it was a bit targetted at those of us who use an actual game board since i don;t think you have to use chips to designate “stacks” with the mapping programs.

• @ncscswitch:

Sorry, I guess it was a bit targetted at those of us who use an actual game board since i don;t think you have to use chips to designate “stacks” with the mapping programs.

No, I get that, because I do use the actual board game.  What I meant was, I think your joke plays on that US strategy of building lots of battleships, which I read about at Caspian Sub.  There’s tons of interesting stuff there.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m