• recently, we had plyed a game, when my buddy russia wanted to killl a kreilia ussr, but germany had a few planes, and  all he had was infantry. frustrated, he rationalized that an infantry CAN shoot down a plane in a defending territory.

please help us figure this out. what can or can’t hit what?

• Well your question is a little vague.  :?

If you are asking if only INF can attack a territory with only FTRs defending it the answer is yes.

Air units are eligble casualties in battles with forces only having ground units. Ground units are eligble casualties in battles with forces only having air units.

Hope that helps.

• All land units can hit any enemy land* or air unit, but never sea units.

All air units can hit any enemy unit.*

All sea units except for Submarines can hit any enemy sea or air unit.

Submarines can only hit enemy sea units.

Battleships can conduct a special Shore Bombardment during an Amphibious Assault to hit enemy land units.

*AA Guns and Industrial Complexes, though classified as “land units”, cannot be hit by any unit during normal combat.  See Strategic Bombing Raid (SBR) to learn how an Industrial Complex can be attacked.

~Josh

• actually yes that helps a little. just for specifaction,

• we have been playing that infantry, armor, artillery and other ground units cannot shoot down any air units, they can only combat other ground units. my original question would be to question whether this is correct or not, and how to fix it.

-can infantry attack a terr. containing only airunits? can they roll defense against only air units? are there any spec.'s on which units can or cant hit which other ones.

(if fighters combat a country with other planes and infantry do you roll for air units 1st? or all at the same , then can he can choose infantry as cushion for my fire as opposed to taking out the planes?)

-another question about air units. when counting movement in regards to coastal territories: when leaving or landing on a coastal territory do you count the sea zone outside of the country as part of the country itself, in that you only have to reach that sea zone to land safley on the shore?

• we have been playing that infantry, armor, artillery and other ground units cannot shoot down any air units, they can only combat other ground units. my original question would be to question whether this is correct or not, and how to fix it.  can infantry attack a terr. containing only airunits? can they roll defense against only air units? are there any spec.'s on which units can or cant hit which other ones

That is incorrect.  See my above post.  Fix it by allowing units to hit what they are allowed to hit.

(if fighters combat a country with other planes and infantry do you roll for air units 1st? or all at the same , then can he can choose infantry as cushion for my fire as opposed to taking out the planes?)

Yup.  Defender always chooses the casualties, so will likely choose to sacrifice Infantry instead of his more valuable planes.  Attacker rolls all of his attack dice and counts total number of hits, then the defender can choose how to disperse those hits amongst his defending units.

another question about air units. when counting movement in regards to coastal territories: when leaving or landing on a coastal territory do you count the sea zone outside of the country as part of the country itself, in that you only have to reach that sea zone to land safley on the shore?

The sea-zone and the territory are separate areas.  Every time you cross a line between a territory/seazone and another territory/seazone, it uses up 1 point of a plane’s movement point allowance.  Your fighter must be in a territory to land in it, not next to it.

~Josh

• 2007 AAR League

OutsideLime is right.  But remember that the owner of the units always decides the casualties.

If I attack you with 1 inf 1 fgt vs. your 1 inf, and my fighter and inf both miss and your inf hits, 99% of the time I will choose to kill my inf instead of my fgt.  But it is my choice because I own the units in question.

Remember that and you’ll be ok.

• thank you for the input.

id like to start another question now.

what about continuing assault. how long can aircraft continue assault on a country with no air units? or with air units?

• 2007 AAR League

Until either attacker or defender or both are dead, or until attacker decides to withdraw.  No different than combat with ground units.  Treat air units the same as land units in Combat.  No differences (except the AA guns and the fact that you cannot capture a territory with only air).  It’s Combat Movement and Non-Combat Movement that have special rules for air.

• Once air units engage in battle, they can hit and be hit by any unit in the territory.

The only exception of course is that SUBs cannot fire on FIGs or BOMs at all.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m