• So I see a lot of games being played by one person in the forums at one time and I’m curious to know how many you actually play and how you handle it.

• 2007 AAR League

I’ve never actually played more than one game at a time, but I’m trying my hand at two and by the way that it goes we’ll see if I can step it up a notch.

• Ive played 2 before.  Im sure I could do 3.

• i can handle  2 at once.

• I have played 2 at a time… one Classic, one Revised.  Since I put my Classic board away I am strictyl one at a time.

• 2007 AAR League

I had 4 at 1 point. Don’t think I will do that again.

• 2007 AAR League

i´ll play 2 -3 at a time…  Im using a battelmap, so it´s easy to keep track of the games (not using a real board like switch)

usually i play 2 games at a time…

the trick i guess for remembering the games is to use somewhat different strats in each one (or at least play one allies, one axis)

• I would play more than 2 if I took less time to decide what I’m going to do. As I “have the time” I take awhile going thru some options.

• I have 14 games going on right now.  10 at AAMC and 4 at FOE.  This includes A&A 2nd Edition, AARevised, AAPacific and AAEurope.  The most I ever had going at one time was probably around 20 but if I get less then about 8, I start to get twitchy from withdrawal.

SS

Correction.  I have 15 games going on right now.  I forgot about an AAPacific game I’ve got going at Days of Infamy where I’ve been waiting for my opponents turn for about a week.

• 2007 AAR League

SS that is just nutts how can you keep track of 15 games at one time. i’m like switch the actual board 1 game at a time, and i spend enough time thinking about that game, 15 would fry my brain even more.    :-P  i do own pacific i’d love to play that again sometime, i need to go buy europe.

15!  :-o

The most I’ve had was 4, but that was only one time.  I’ve done 3 at once a few times before, but I’ve found that tended to be more like a job and I would have less fun.  I like trying to do turns every night, so with 3 games it easily chewed up 2-3 hrs a night and took some of the fun out it.

Now I like 1-2 games at a time.

• @mojo:

SS that is just nutts how can you keep track of 15 games at one time. i’m like switch the actual board 1 game at a time, and i spend enough time thinking about that game, 15 would fry my brain even more.    :-P   i do own pacific i’d love to play that again sometime, i need to go buy europe.

It’s actually not that hard.  I use map programs for all of my games rathen than physical boards.  I have a pretty good memory and I can actually picture the board of each game in my head (ok, I’m not quite so good with AAEurope).  When I’m writing out my NCM, I usually don’t even have to look at the map to write it all down.  Then, I switch back to the map and verify all the moves.

Since A&A is a turn-based game, you really just need to look at the board as it stands to do you next turn.  You don’t have to worry about what went on in the past and you can always see patterns developing for future rounds from the current state of the board.  Actually, one of the advantages of playing many games is that your play is usually very flexible in each game.  Rarely do I get locked into a single strategy.  I react to the changes in the game as the game progresses.

SS

• @DarthMaximus:

15!   :-o

The most I’ve had was 4, but that was only one time.  I’ve done 3 at once a few times before, but I’ve found that tended to be more like a job and I would have less fun.  I like trying to do turns every night, so with 3 games it easily chewed up 2-3 hrs a night and took some of the fun out it.

Now I like 1-2 games at a time.

I can usually run through turns in all of my games in about 3 or 4 hours.  Of course, not all of my opponents play every day, so I don’t have to do turns in 14 games all at once.  Right now, I “owe” a turn in only 1 of my games.  That might go up to 5 or 6 if I get really busy at work or I’m travelling.

SS

• I’d say I average about 5 games at a time.  Like SS, I use map programs for all the games so board swapping is not an issue.  If I had to guess, the max number I’ve ever had active is probably 8.

• 2007 AAR League

i can only do 2 effectively, one is not enough, 3 can be overwhelming

• 2007 AAR League

non online.  i dont trust dice i cant see.  also i’m new at using computers a lot.  i’m aware that some people are natual wizzes on the PC’s.  how do i know they cant just interfere?  people good with computers can do anything.

in your guys’ opinion what the most honest dicey system that you got.  that cant be messed with?  is it DAAK? thats my conclusion

also i dont think its possible to play enhanced realism over e-mails or the such. it would be a lot of work.

• Loaf, I think you’re being slightly paranoid.  If you want really unbiased, I’m-no-ones-friend dice, use either the in-house dicey or Frood’s…just don’t use it when playing against him! I kid, I kid.  :lol: :-P You should give either two a chance.  You might be surprised.

And to answer my own poll, I only do 1 game at a time.  I use the board like others, which, for me, I can see all of what’s going on without having to scroll up, down, left, right.  Just preference really.

• 2007 AAR League

i take my A&A seriously  :mrgreen:

i dont want to be stipped of my glorious victory by someone being able to controll or change the results of the so called “diceys”

why dont people just use webcams and show each other rolling.  wouldnt that work?

• General, if I’m not mistaken, this poll was generated by your amusement/amazement that I had 3 or more games going on at once, including my game with you.  Did my game against you suffer because I had other games going on?  It’s possible, because I did lose to you.   :wink:  But seriously, I think I made my critical mistake in that game fairly early on, so by the time my other games fired up, I was already fighting an uphill battle.  (I would add that if I had a just a little better dice, I might still have won, but I digress . . . .)

I’m still fairly new to Revised and to playing by forum, but I agree with SS that playing multiple games at a time improves my play.  Through repetition, you learn to recognize certain patterns in a game which I think are key to developing your play to a consistently high level.  Frankly, I could not manage it with a physical board.  It’s fun to set up the physical board, but a mess to clean up.  Why bother?  That said, I will grant you that several of the better players on this site (Switch and Mojo come to mind) are board players, so I will give them their due.  But for me, I get bored storing at one game map at a time.  There are only so many possibilities in a single game.  Once I’ve figured out my next move (maybe two), that’s as far as I go.  As someone smart once said, no battleplan survives first contact with the enemy.  So why bother to plan 5 turns ahead when your opponent will probably do something to completely torpodo your well-laid plans?  Do I have a long-term strategy?  Sure.  Do I sweat the details many moves in advance?  Nah.  Life’s too short.

Oh, and to answer your poll, I’d say 3 at a time is good, 4 is a little hairy but manageable if I’m not sick and if work doesn’t get in the way.  :-P

• @cyan:

i can handle  2 at once.

look like i;m going to have to change that to 3 games. poor planing.  :roll:  at least one of them is a 5 player one in which germany is on a 3 week vacation. should be able to finish 1 or both of the more serious ones by the time germany is ready agian.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m