What is biding and is it neccasary.

I haven’t tried gamesbyemail.

Although I do have TripleA, which I’ve played Revised on.  I’m assuming it is good for 2nd Ed as well, but I’m not 100% sure on that.

• @DarthMaximus:

I haven’t tried gamesbyemail.

Although I do have TripleA, which I’ve played Revised on.  I’m assuming it is good for 2nd Ed as well, but I’m not 100% sure on that.

no thats what sucks about it. if someone knew anything about jave they could probablly update it.

• Maddog was the last highly active Classic player we had, and even he had switched to Revised before he got banned for his verbal abuses in Political Discussion.

I think players like Agent Smith actually had a hand in killing Classic.  They insisted on Low Luck, and then used an over-developed experience with a simulator to work out the various permutations of the early phases of the game to know EXACTLY which move to make against each counter for set up in the next couple of rounds, etc. and it became BORING to even attempt to play such people.  He refused to play me because I was non-traditional and attempted some crazy things that fouled up his canned moves and would have made him react on-the-fly; and I refused to play Low Luck (it is a GAME and it involves DICE… deal with it).

I know Bashir is still around, but has not gamed in a while, and Darth has come fully over to the Dark Side (and now has a Revised win record against me that is ALMOST as good as he had against me in Classic :-P )

But the extra territories in particular, as well as the changes to ARM and the addition of ART as well as a few other changes have made for a much more interesting game.  It is a more fluid game (and thus favors those who can think on the fly and works against the “sim players”), and that is antithical to gamers like Agent Smith who have a decade plus of repeating the same moves from rote to win a game.

And so here we are, with the Classic version nearly dead, with a few of us around who played it for years, and now just love the broader scope and options of Revised instead of playing Eastern vs. Karelia over and over and over.

• You can check that for yourself.

And 3 bans over 5 years is hardly a problem.

You would do well to refrain from judgment on that which you know nothing about.

• So this is the great Nuno, AS talked about all the time… Now I finally know where his behaviour came from…

@nuno:

LOL
    Agent Smith strong!?(only judging from what I saw at AAMC/few years ago) Darth right up my alley!?
    LOL
    I’d play with a Bet involved against Darth even without knowing anything else about him…then again, same problem as always,  I’d need a reliable referee to keep the money…

Enough talk. Do you know ncscswitch another ways of getting/searching/finding information about the best players?
    If I could see a game or two of the best player(supposedely Darth from what you say) I could see if I could find a match or not.

Why don’t you just play him and show us how great you really are? I am sure there are enough railers who would like to see this clash.

• @nuno:

@Bashir:

Why don’t you just play him and show us how great you really are? I am sure there are enough railers who would like to see this clash.

If there’s was a prize(say 100€) and a reliable referee to hold it(bet money from players in contest) I’do it.
    Otherwise why would I lose time in such way?

Nothing personal, but from replies I already saw that skill level is still quite low and hardly a match.

:lol: :lol: :roll:

• In my personal opinion…

When someone comes in and trash talks an entire landfill full of trash, then AVOIDS the offer of a game from a solid player with a justification that is simply more trash talk…

I tend to list the player as equivalent to their talk… TRASH!
    :mrgreen:

• Interesting thread.  I am assuming that you are playing either on the computer or by mail, in one on one games.  We have been running Axis and Allies Classic in a gaming class, using 5 players:  German, Japanese, Russian, British, and American.  Under those conditions, the Allies have been having a very hard time winning, or even staying in the game past the 2nd or 3rd turn.  I would hate to think how things would go if the Germans had that many additional units.  The kids playing are 6th through 10th graders, and we typically give the Axis countries to an experienced player.

Yeah, 5 player games aren’t as bad (in terms of bids or balancing) as a 1 on 1 game.  And with the age group you mentioned it doesn’t surprise me that the Axis are doing well.  It takes a lot of coordination between the Allies to put max pressure on Ger.

I got hooked playing when I was about that age and 20 years later, I’m still hooked.  :-)
    Although, I’m playing more Revised now.

• @DarthMaximus:

Yeah, 5 player games aren’t as bad (in terms of bids or balancing) as a 1 on 1 game.  And with the age group you mentioned it doesn’t surprise me that the Axis are doing well.  It takes a lot of coordination between the Allies to put max pressure on Ger.

I got hooked playing when I was about that age and 20 years later, I’m still hooked.  :-)
    Although, I’m playing more Revised now.

yeah one time(recently still technilly playing the game in play by email.)  I was the US and russia pissed me off so i told him his and the uk’s income was greater than germany’s so they could screw themselves while i took Japan by myself. we thankfully won and I conquered Japan first.  :-D  especially if your doing it face to face with people my age there will be some abandoning players.

http://gamesbyemail.com/Games/Play?434812785  still playing trying to conquer Germany. Japan was very skilled and very diffuclt for me to destroy. ( he did not do pearl so i took japan in like 4 turns.

Let’s not antagonize people here.

We are not in the censorship business, and I think if you continue to post here you’ll find we let an awful lot slide.

Since you are fairly new I’ll give you a brief history on Agent Smith.

(short version)
    His posts had a habit of being extremely critical of other users, he would tend to go after the poster in a personal way.  We as mods recieved several complaints about him through the course of the 2-3 years he posted here. Eventually he insulted one of the Administrators (not a mod, but an Admin) and that is when he was banned.

He did have two active acounts, initially b/c of a problem on our end with logon ID’s and he posted under a new ID, SexualHarassmentPanda (SHP) for a while.  Eventually the glitch was fixed but he kept the SHP ID.  Following his ban (SHP) he evntually recreated an account and he posted here for quite some time under his old Agent ID again and we let it slide until he eventually started problems with other users again and we received more complaints from other users.  This time he was IP banned.  Since that time we believe he posted for a while under a 3rd ID (which we again let slide) but when we received more complaints about this new ID and personal attacks then that ID and IP were banned.

Now you may ask what does this have to do with you?

There was an early belief that you were yet another incarnation of AgentSmith/SHP/etc.  Your initial posting style was very similar to his and through the years our ears perk up everytime someone (esp someone new) refereces a past user that they were not around for.  It just seems weird and a couple of Mods picked up on it as well as other users (who we received PMs from).
    Now you may be Agent you may not be, I really don’t care as long as quality posts are made without attacking the poster personally.

Per the site rules if you have any problem with any user or Mod for that matter, a PM to another Mod is the way to go.  Posting like the above post is not going to help your cause.

Normally that posted would get editted or deleted.

Also if you want to respond send a PM, otherwise it tends to look like a poster is just searching for some Internet Drama, which again after being here for years I’m pretty good at picking out who is just looking for the Drama and who wants to contribute to the site.

• I do not consider a 40% win rate to be bad.  I call that SOLID when only talking about 5 games.  1-4, 0-5… you would have a point.  But 2-3 or 3-2… that is SOLID play in my book.

Also notice that Darth qualified his remarks with a may.

So, was it 2-3 or 3-2?  Darth does not remember for certain, perhaps you can tell us which way it was…

Yeah, 2 or 3 of our games sort of never ended or ended under bad circumstances.

For example, one game (I was Axis), and played a PAfr bid (23 I think), yet he left Kar under defended so I pulled the Afr troops to Cauc and took Kar as well.  He claimed foul and called me a “dice chucker”, I said he should have defended better and not to assume anything due to my bid placement.

Another game we played was a designed test game, he wanted to see counters to a certain PE bid, or at least see how I’d counter.  I think it was 4 inf Ukr, 4 inf EE bid, I don’t really remember.  I think I probably would have lost that one.

Also the first game we ever played was my first LL game (about 3 years ago) and needless to say I lost b/c LL is quite different from ADS, and I wasn’t prepared for some of the subtle differences.

I think yet another game or 2 we started and never finished.  I put me at 2-3, but that is more of an assumption on my part, we probably only actually finished 2 of our games so 1-1 is probably more accurate.  I don’t know for sure though.

I do have to credit Agent with helping to improve my game and showing me LL and the transition from ADS to LL.  Infact when he talked strat I think he helped a lot of players, but it was when he would venture into the personal attacks that would turn people off.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m