• I was wondering if you guys normally strategic bomb with Germany?  If so, do you bomb Russia or the UK?

• well, it depends
    -first of all if you can do something very useful with the bomber(for example use it in the attack in Anglo Egypt-Sudan in Germany 1st)
    than i suggest that you dont bomb
    -if any IC in range of bomber is without AA i strongy suggest the bombing raid
    -if its more less the same for you to bom Russia or UK i suggest bombing UK beacuse when bombing London you decrease the UK money which would be spent on units emediately after your turn :-)

for example if you bomb UK on Germany 1st than UK starts with maybe 30 , but maybe 25, 27, 26 IPC for units to buy , but with Russia its aint the case because Russia already bought units in Russia 1st as Russia plays before Germany :-)

• I see your reasons for bombing the UK.  One thought I have about bombing Russia, however, is that doing so decreases Russia’s ability to defend, by limiting Russia’s purchasing power.  Thoughts?

• @dbwool:

I see your reasons for bombing the UK.  One thought I have about bombing Russia, however, is that doing so decreases Russia’s ability to defend, by limiting Russia’s purchasing power.  Thoughts?

for example
    if Russia collects 30 IPC i suggest than you dont bomb
    if it collects 14 i suggest bombing

if its between you choose, but it depends heavily on the situation :-)

• I don’t very often. I like that bomber in on whatever battle I feel a desire to put some overkill on. Mine also seems to get shot down by AA a lot (okay seems like a lot) and you need aircraft on the Eastern Front.

• @frimmel:

I don’t very often. I like that bomber in on whatever battle I feel a desire to put some overkill on. Mine also seems to get shot down by AA a lot (okay seems like a lot) and you need aircraft on the Eastern Front.

i understand you, its true you need it more in the Eastern front but UK needs it even more for inf to fill its transports with

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

If I’m playing on DAAK, I never SBR.  DAAK will shoot my bomber down 100% of the time.
    If I’m playing on FOE, I’ll SBR if there’s nothing else for the bomber to do (all my attacks can be 2 infantry, 1 fighter) AND if there’s nothing I need my bomber for NEXT round. (I have to assume it’ll get shot down, even though FOE only shoots down about 15% of my bombers.)
    If I’m hand throwing dice, I’ll SBR every time.  If my bomber survives, I’ll always roll a 6. :)

• My thoughts on Germany SBR’s…

I tend to avoid them.  I either use the BOM in battle, or save it for a future battle rather than risk it to AA.

Some thoughts if you DO SBR though…

Early in the game, SBR’s against Russia are sub-optimal.  Russia is already positive income from victories in central europe.  So even a good SBR only gets them down to even.
    Early (like G1, G2), SBR’s of UK can slow fleet production, or at least prevent both fleet and land buys.  but early SBR’s means a LONG game with no BOM if it gets shot down…

I’ll take the free SBR (no AA over enemy IC) IF I do not need that BOM for an attack.

Otherwise, I tend to keep it idle rather than risk it for 3.5 IPCs.

• I think that strat bombing London on turn 1 (and only turn 1) should be given some serious thought. Even depleting the UK of $1 can seriously distrupt their plans, and may mean the difference between an IC somewhere, or a transport.

@Squash:

I think that strat bombing London on turn 1 (and only turn 1) should be given some serious thought. Even depleting the UK of $1 can seriously distrupt their plans, and may mean the difference between an IC somewhere, or a transport.

I doubt it’ll make much effect at all.  1-6 IPC for England doesn’t change the build pattern too much, and you risk loosing 15 IPCs that you could have used to add more punch in Egypt makign it that much harder to reclaim on UK1

• I think it depends on the build, and the fun of britain having third turn instead of second, is you (as germany) don’t know what they’ll do. I know alot of people who use an IC + bomber first turn UK buy, and others who use a two-IC strat. Both of those would get scrapped by a strat bombing.

• A bomber and an IC for UK?

lol srsly?

INVADE LONDON!

Strat bombing is, I think, a bad idea for the Germans.  The way you are probably thinking of it is -

“5/6 of the time, I made a GOOD move with that bomber; I’ll beat up the UK without it costing me a thing!  Maybe I’ll lose 1/6 of the time, so what?”

The way I think of it is -

“1/6 of the time, I made a horrible error that will probably cost me in the range of 15-48 IPC in lost opportunity attacks over the course of the game, which will probably mean that I will lose. 5/6 of the time, I made a little ding in the UK income, forcing the UK to build infantry instead of tanks, which is not going to make a real significant difference in the UK plans.  100% of the time, I could have hit something else with more force, like the crucial Anglo-Egypt battle, or even have, along with fighters, attacked a crucial target like an overextended Atlantic fleet or West Russia which would win the game for Germany.”

German air is incredibly important because you need it to trade territories with USSR and to help protect against the Allied fleet and to help in Africa.  There are ALWAYS going to be better targets for the German bomber than a UK IC first turn (probably Anglo-Egypt).  I don’t think I would even hit a Russian IC with a German bomber because German air is so important; I really don’t want to take that 1 in 6 chance of losing that precious German bomber.

If I’m feeling reckless, and am playing a “Crush the Caucasus” attack, I might try running German and Japanese bombers into Moscow each turn.

• I’ve played much more w/ the Allies than with Germany, but the few times that I have played with Germany, I’ve done SBR only once or twice. I only do it if I realize that there is nothing else to do with my bomber. Generally, if Japan is doing well going up Russia’s back, I bomb Moscow, so Russia will have less and less cash every time. I do it if I can, but it’s not a MUST for me.

How do you plan to invade England when they have 2 fighters, 2, armor, 2 infantry, 1 artillery and 2 bombers + 2 infantry, 1 fighter, 1 bomber, 1 artillery, 1 armor from America on it?

Keep in mind you have maybe 6 fighters, 1 bomber, 2 transports and 1 battleship to use on Germany 2 and that’s making some assumptions that you did not loose any of those assets prior to your second turn and that you landed all those aircraft in France somehow knowing that England was going to buy a bomber and an IC instead of something else.

• @Jennifer:

How do you plan to invade England when they have 2 fighters, 2, armor, 2 infantry, 1 artillery and 2 bombers + 2 infantry, 1 fighter, 1 bomber, 1 artillery, 1 armor from America on it?

Keep in mind you have maybe 6 fighters, 1 bomber, 2 transports and 1 battleship to use on Germany 2 and that’s making some assumptions that you did not loose any of those assets prior to your second turn and that you landed all those aircraft in France somehow knowing that England was going to buy a bomber and an IC instead of something else.

How is it that every time I propose a move, that the Allies mysteriously pop up with these shadow forces in the ideal place?  That’s why I really dislike Jennifer’s responses.  Somehow the Allies always watched to see what Germany would do, and did something that would otherwise be almost retarded to counter Germany’s response.  But in that case, Germany can just have done the other thing.

Why don’t I say that with Germany, I just bought three transports?  So RLY, I am running five infantry five tanks five fighters and a bomber plus battleship support shot against an antiaircraft gun, two bombers, four infantry, three tanks, and three fighters.

Or maybe I just moved the Baltic fleet and Mediterranean fleets west, and the UK didn’t blow up the Baltic fleet, and I landed all air at W. Europe, so I smash the Allied reinforcements of London.

The simple fact is, Squash is playing with bloodthirsty maniacs.  One bomber and a IC, maybe UK is going for a high-risk KJF strat.  But TWO ICs?  I’m betting the Allies are leaving London open.

@newpaintbrush:

@Jennifer:

How is it that every time I propose a move, that the Allies mysteriously pop up with these shadow forces in the ideal place?  That’s why I really dislike Jennifer’s responses.  Somehow the Allies always watched to see what Germany would do, and did something that would otherwise be almost retarded to counter Germany’s response.  But in that case, Germany can just have done the other thing.

Hmm, possibly because you keep changing what Germany does to fit the actions of England who moves after Germany???

However, I’ve never changed my English strategy.  They always end up with 5 fighters, 1 bomber, 2 infantry, armor and artillery + America can land more if Germany appears to be setting up Sea Lion.

Not my fault you’re not capable of seeing the short falls in your own plans.  I’d say I’m sorry, but I’m not.  You need to pay closer attention to details that are posted instead of assuming.

I presume you assumed England sent her bomber to Egypt, retook Egypt with the SZ 35/India equipment, landed troops in Algeria, leaving their capital with only a few infantry to defend it, huh?  Because, unless that’s exactly what England does, Germany hasn’t a chance in hell of taking it on G2 and everyone on the board knows it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m