• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Aircraft Carrier, Destroyer, save 2.

Good, Bad?

• In response to…? What is your goal? Invade Norway or W.Eu UK1?

• it depends heavily :-) on Germany 1#

I have done the AC, Land units and/or Tranny build, but that one is new… If you hope to attack Baltic Seazone, and negate Sub usage, I would consider it, but I think Airforce would be a better investment… 1 AC, 1 Fighter save 2, attack Navy with much larger Air Force, Reinforce Russia T3 and have a fat happy carrier in the baltic…

GG

• 2007 AAR League

On my first turn I usually build an AC, Trn, 2 Inf then on the following turn I build a DD, Trn, +ground units varying by income. Then on the next couple turns depending on what America is doing varies my naval builds but I usually add a Fig every turn starting about UK3.

• Well I suppose we;ll find out soon enough Jen.

• 2007 AAR League

While on the topic of Britain I was wondering how come people say to send the DD and AC off India to attack the Japanese Trn? The DD has 3/6 chance of hitting while the Trn only has 1/6 chance of hitting sending the AC seems like a waste unless it is meant to force Japan to send a larger force?

• 3 reasons why I send it.
    1)The carrier has no other use. At best it can arrive on the German front by going around Africa but by then the Allies should have dominance of the seas anyway.
    2)Sending only the destroyer leaves a 1/7 chance of the transport surviving, which will jumpstart the Japaneese offensive. Preventing this is easily 7 times more valueable than any other use the carrier might have.
    3)The destroyer alone will be killed without a fight. 2 ships stand a good chance of sinking Japaneese capital ships unless Japan diverts some of its fighter.

Interesting Concept, actually I find that the US has control of Africa by T3 and the Suez is usually open again… I usually though send it far south and then hook up with any US Navy going Island Hopping, since 2 Carriers are better then one…

GG

• 2007 AAR League

@Infantry:

3 reasons why I send it.
    1)The carrier has no other use. At best it can arrive on the German front by going around Africa but by then the Allies should have dominance of the seas anyway.
    2)Sending only the destroyer leaves a 1/7 chance of the transport surviving, which will jumpstart the Japaneese offensive. Preventing this is easily 7 times more valueable than any other use the carrier might have.
    3)The destroyer alone will be killed without a fight. 2 ships stand a good chance of sinking Japaneese capital ships unless Japan diverts some of its fighter.

Japan wouldn’t have to divert fighters they would just lose the two they sent assuming they send the East Indies BB and AC + 2 Figs so I guess it does do more damage … but I usually use the AC in Sz 30 like GG anyway.

Well, the idea of the AC/DD for UK is to have a massed fleet large enough to make Germany pay heavy if they hit you with teh Baltic fleet and 4 of 6 fighters and 1 bomber.  I’m assuming Germany builds a carrier and 8 infantry, seems to be what 99% of players do.  I also assume 1 fighter was killed by Russia or Germany has 2 fighters in N. Africa

• 2007 AAR League

it isn’t safe ever to put the UK fleet near range of the Baltic fleet for the first 2-4 turns in the game unless you have a buffer (lets say a russian sub between them)

If the UK fleet is in range of the Baltic fleet. then so is all the land based fgts and bombs frm Germany = doom to the UK navy at MAYBE the loss of there navy which will still be more then acceptable. I am for one probably the only player to have like 99.9999% to win that a navy battle in round 2 of the game vs the UK  and lose horribly bad with just 4fgts and bmb surving and only killing 1 trn. I’m pretty sure that same luck wouldn’t happen again.

2 SS, 1 TRN, 1 AC, 4 FIG, 1 DD, 1 BMB attacking:

2 TRN, 1 BB, 1 AC, 2 FIG, 1 DD, 1 USSR Sub defending:

(I’m assuming you’ve placed 1, 2 fighters in N. Africa where htey are out of range.  That would be 1 fighter if russia killed one, 2 fighters if russia did not.  I am also assuming the British fleet is in Sea Zone 6, out of range of the BB/TRN in the med.)

Surviving Attackers (started with 4 Fig, 1 Bom, 1 Tra, 2 Sub, 1 Des, 1 Car.)
    Surviving Defenders (started with 2 Fig, 2 Tra, 1 Sub, 1 Des, 1 Car, 1 Bat.)

Overall %*: A. survives: 58.7% D. survives: 39.9% No survivors:1%

• percentages may not total 100 due to rounding.

Attacker results:
    Probability % # units
      0.02% 10: 4 Fig, 1 Bom, 1 Tra, 2 Sub, 1 Des, 1 Car.
      0.2% 9: 4 Fig, 1 Bom, 2 Sub, 1 Des, 1 Car.
      0.96% 8: 4 Fig, 1 Bom, 1 Sub, 1 Des, 1 Car.
      2.26% 7: 4 Fig, 1 Bom, 1 Des, 1 Car.
      5.53% 6: 3 Fig, 1 Bom, 1 Des, 1 Car.
      8.94% 5: 2 Fig, 1 Bom, 1 Des, 1 Car.
      11.51% 4: 1 Fig, 1 Bom, 1 Des, 1 Car.
      0.16% 4: 2 Fig, 1 Bom, 1 Car.
      11.92% 3: 1 Bom, 1 Des, 1 Car.
      0.3% 3: 1 Fig, 1 Bom, 1 Car.
      10.05% 2: 1 Bom, 1 Car.
      6.88% 1: 1 Car.
      41.27% 0: no units.

Defender results:
    Probability % # units
      0.07% 8: 2 Fig, 2 Tra, 1 Sub, 1 Des, 1 Car, 1 dBat.
      0.3% 7: 2 Fig, 1 Tra, 1 Sub, 1 Des, 1 Car, 1 dBat.
      1.39% 6: 2 Fig, 1 Sub, 1 Des, 1 Car, 1 dBat.
      3.74% 5: 2 Fig, 1 Des, 1 Car, 1 dBat.
      6.68% 4: 2 Fig, 1 Car, 1 dBat.
      9.37% 3: 1 Fig, 1 Car, 1 dBat.
      10.17% 2: 1 Car, 1 dBat.
      8.16% 1: 1 dBat.
      60.12% 0: no units.

Looks like a frontal assualt by Germany would result in the death of it’s fleet and most of it’s airforce.

• Leaving UK powerless to do anything for several turns… stuck on their island, while Germany faces Russia alone…

Would make ME happy as Germany :-)

• 2007 AAR League

re-adjust your calculations for our battle which is what I was really talking about.

this was the defending:

3 trn
    1 AC
    1 BB
    2 fgts

my attacking forces where: (should of brought the trn for a casualtie but it didnt matter with the horrid dice)

2 SS
    1 DD
    1 AC
    5 fgts
    1 bmb

I’m sure I could get a good poll going suggesting this was by far an obvious attack to do vs the british fleet on TURN 2 in the game.
    I should of had anywhere 4-7 hits on turn 1.

But turn 1 alone Your forces hit the good luck of 0.sometihng percentage of hits dubbed with my 0.something percentage of bad luck which both teamed up i’m sure is somewhere around 0.000005 % lol

Switch if you would believe the top attack which I thought was a dunk-in…… I even lost a fgt on turn 1 with all my navy destroyed??? and only killed 1 trn…

• Actually, was not QUITE that severe.

You had a 1 in 10 chance of being destroyed in the battle.  UK had a 1% chance of only losing a TRN for the entire battle.

Every now and then, the 1 in a hundred is going to happen.  We play ay too many games and roll too many battles on these baords to not have folks roll “00” pretty regularly.  Hell, I just got spanked in a Ukraine battle on R1.  Germany hit the 2% solution on that battle…

• 2007 AAR League

true… the 1 in 10 chance of being destroyed still means more then 1 trn dead ussually  :cry:… it was the after-effect that hurt more… they could land quicker and face less opposition then if the navy had been there for 3-4 turns or if the UK navy would have been dead which by all means should have been. ( I thought I was going to lose 1-2 fgts which would have been acceptable )

• well, back on topic, your build would work for any kind of GFP for sure. My build is usually very different though. My first turn build for Britain is almost always, 1 factory, 1 transport, 1 infantry and 1 artillery. If the japense transport is taken out I put the factory in India and focus my game on that territory, if not, then I put it in South Africa.

Back to my vision of:

1 DD, 1 BB, 1 AC, 2 FIG, 2 TRN, 1 USSR Sub vs 1 DD, 2 SS, 1 TRN, 1 AC, 4 FIG, 1 BMB

Yea, you’d win, but odds are you’re facing Russia with no German Airforce and with America hitting Africa heavy OR America putting her fleet in SZ 8 to protect new British transports against your solitary fighter or two.

The goal, of course, is to get Germany to squander her air force killing the British fleet leaving the American fleet safe from harm and allowing Britian to avoid the need of future capital ship purchases. (2 US DD’s with 6 transports is more then enough to defend against 1-2 fighters and a bomber.  Especially once that British Carrier and American BB arrive on the scene.)

Problem is, Russia is solo against Germany and Japan for 2 rounds.

• I guess it depends on how man fighters are in range. I think it wasn’t so good in our game because I was able to attack with all German planes and though I had bad luck and lost a fighter the expectation was something like AC and all planes survive. Against 5 ftr it would be losing all navy and 0 or 1 fighters.
    I think Germany is happy to lose a fighter in this battle because it sets Allies shipping back so far and allows the Baltic fleet far more use than it has any right to.

4 ftr or less though and Germany expects to lose multiple fighters and risks a total whipeout if things go south.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m