• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I fail to see how a tablet saying “brother of christ” is a controversy.  The Bible specifically states taht Jesus had brothers and sisters.    I don’t even think the powers of heaven could pull of a miracle of a straight man married to a woman in that day and age that never has sex with his wife.  That’s even harder to believe then the story we all evolved from amino acids!

• @balungaloaf:

Just another outlet for liberal brain-washing that goes under the radar.  Liberalism is everywhere now, you have to actively SEARCH for conservative views, funny cause liberals still cant win elections.  Oh and by the way i wouldnt be surprised if that exodus program was half bullshiiiiite.  Even when they say irrefutalbe or its a fact dont immediatley believe what they say.  The way they prove things can always be half truths so you cant stick them with lying.

Only in America does the candidate with the LESSER number of votes become president, and a biased judicial court protect him and eliminate democracy at work. Where valid voters are prevented from voting by fraud or intimidation by “conservative” attack groups.

Yes, when such acts occur, liberals cannot win. In fair elections though, they can.

• @Jennifer:

I fail to see how a tablet saying “brother of christ” is a controversy.  The Bible specifically states taht Jesus had brothers and sisters.    I don’t even think the powers of heaven could pull of a miracle of a straight man married to a woman in that day and age that never has sex with his wife.

That goes along with the CORRECT definition of “virgin” from that time period, which unfortunatly also destroys the concept of the Immaculate Conception.  But hey, who is concerned with facts, right?

Immaculate conception just means Mary never knew a man’s touch before Jesus was conceived.  It never said she stayed a virgin for the rest of her life.

This is my biggest problem with the Catholics.  They still view her as a virgin when the Bible specifically states on a few occassions that Jesus had brothers and sisters.  Although, it has been brought to my attention that many Catholics believe that Mary herself was “virginal” because she was free from sin when Jesus was conceived in the womb.

However, I hold to the more traditional method and feel she was a virgin because she had never had sex with a man and I see no contradiction, even if Jesus had brothers and sisters, which he obviously did because they are mentioned in the Bible.

• Actually, the definition of virgin from that time period is a woman who is her own person.  It came into widespread use in the last part of the first millenium BCE.

It was not until the middle of the first millenium CE that it came to be “never having had sex”, and the Catholic Church played the leading roll in the re-defining of the word.

You should also note that there is a specific ecclesiastical definition of virgin which means an unmarried or religious woman… and Mary certainly fits THAT definition, even if Joseph was getting all he wanted.

Or it could just mean she was a Virgo…  :mrgreen:

• 2007 AAR League

we’ve talked about this befoe.  Brothers and sisters could mean friends, followers, or cousins.  It doesnt immediatley mean direct brothers or sisters.  Anyone else get me here.  You dont have to take it in the literal and the bible doesnt explain more.  If jesus DID have real direct brothers or sisters i think we would of heard about them more.

• Except that making Jesus into a “real” person, Yeshuah of Nazareth, serves to downplay the concept of him as some super-human son-of-God entity.

Afterall, if he had siblings, if his mother actually had gasp sex, then all of the sudden, you have to deal with the concept that perhaps Yeshuah was just a really great philosopher.

And 2000 years of massive funding and 1500 years of exclusive control over publication and education by the Catholic Church certainly would have stamped any such reality based hypocrisy out centuries ago.

Not so, Switch.

Jesus was born of a virgin, but his brothers and sisters were not born of a virgin.  The record of brothers and sisters does not in any way effect his divinity any more then discovering that light is both energy and a particle effect the ability of the sun to give us light and warmth.

It is just more information, is all.

• OK, Yeshuah was born of a Virgin.

So, is Mary a Virgo; her own woman; perhaps not actually married to Joseph at the time; or did biology turn a 180 and a woman gave birth with no intercourse?  Or maybe Yehsuah was a “spit baby” (look it up, not appropriate to define on a this forum).

I am more inclined to believe that the “immaculate conception” was something that was added to the myth of Yeshuah after the fact in order to provide a means for the Church to keep women subservient.

But then again, I am a non-Christian cynic who places about as much faith in the honesty and integrity of the Council of Nicea as I do in the Bush Admin, and perhaps even less than you place in SCOTUS.

• 2007 AAR League

virgins meant virgins back then switch. The egyptians ancient greeks all were obsessed with virgin priestess’…  MAny priests had to abstain from sex for a certain time before performing a certain ritual.  The oracle at delphi had to be a virgin her whole life.  In ancient times many civilizations had this understanding that virgins or virginity was someone good and holy.

• Delphi is where the meaning of “her own woman” comes from.  The women remained unmarried, thus “virgins”, but they did engage in intercourse.

• No one in this thread has been using the term “Immaculate Conception” correctly (at least according to the official Catholic doctrine) …

The term Immaculate Conception refers to the conception of MARY, not of Jesus. It states that Mary was born without original sin. It was made into an official Catholic dogma on December 8, 1854. Immaculate Conception has nothing to do with the birth of Jesus!

• 2007 AAR League

switch, so so wrong.  I’m a history major and they teach that yes they are virgins because of no sex.  Enough of the liberalism trying to demote what virginity is.  Its not what you want it to be.  Keep trying for all i care.  Delphi, no sex, had to be clean, sex made one not pure enough.  Everyone had their reasons for virgins, and i dont mean their strong women who act independently, i mean women who abstain from sex, cause everyone knew the chics got a hymen and they were mystified by it.

• 2007 AAR League

are you sure avin? second are you catholic.

Yea, Avin’s right.  In the CATHOLIC version of the faith Mary was the only person after Adam and Eve to be born without original sin.  Thus she was a “virgin” to sin.  Of course, the Bible clearly states that no human is free from sin, all have sinned and all are sinners.  So I really don’t see the whole point to that line of reasoning.

I, and many MANY of the world’s religious sects, believe that Jesus was created by the egg of woman and the seed of God.  Thus, he was God incarnate or God in the Flesh.

• Yes, I am sure. Consider the Catholic Encyclopedia on the subject. No, I am not Catholic. I lived next door to a Catholic school called Immaculate Conception however… it was quite amusing that there was a sign next to their dumpsters that boldly proclaimed:

“Dumpsters are for Immaculate Conception only.”

• @Avin:

“Dumpsters are for Immaculate Conception only.”

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• @balungaloaf:

switch, so so wrong.  I’m a history major and they teach that yes they are virgins because of no sex.  Enough of the liberalism trying to demote what virginity is.

The explain Bachanalian Virgin Priestesses…

Or Pan’s Virgin Priestesses…

Total oxymoron under the no intercourse definition.  Makes total sense under the “her own woman” definition.

And refresh my memory (been a long time since my Catechism classes), which ONE of the twelve disciples is it that has such a big hang up about sex in general?  And virtually all of the Puritanic style view of sex comes from his Gospel…

• @Jennifer:

I, and many MANY of the world’s religious sects, believe that Jesus was created by the egg of woman and the seed of God.  Thus, he was God incarnate or God in the Flesh.

I keep hearing Sam Kinison doing his bit about Joseph every time I read this thread…

“… and he better be the ONLY son of God!”

Total heresy from a former Baptist minister.  Gotta love it :-)

• Here is a link for that Kinison skit…

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,231461,00.html

If I am not mistaken it is “Mother Mary’s Mystery Date” :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m