• Hi all!

My friends and I play every 1-2 months. The axis pretty much only win when they dice the allies. The german are never strong enough to beat the Russians, and if the Japanese try to help them they weaken themselves too much. It seems the Russians are pretty much as strong as the Germans, even without outside help. The US and UK can assemble a fleet off the UK so easily and capture Sweden and start bridging troops on Western Europe or even in the Baltic quite easily. Once Germany can capture Egypt, they don’t last too long in Africa. It always ends up as a stalemate on the Russian front, whether we buy mostly tanks or go slow from the get-go with inf and few arties, hence the US and UK end up in Europe and then it’s game over for Germany.

We never buy boats in the meds with Germany, which always end up with the BB and tranny lost on the first round. Is it the only thing we’re doing wrong?

• 174 views, no replies?

:|

• '12

I would review some games that others played.  I find that is a great way to learn.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

Recently I just played a game of 42 1E against a friend here and lost using Allies.  In that game I choose the strategy of building up an Asia factory which I thought would work, but in the mid game I did not manage to hold the Factory and once the factory lost control I cannot defend any longer.

It was fun game and it last till like 15 or 16 rounds  :lol:.  In that game Japan becomes orange monster at last and took over both Africa while pose threat to my western US.  It is in the thread of playing board game if you are interested to look.  (not long ago.  And now I am playing the 2nd game versus the same friend.  :lol:)

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

I would review some games that others played.  I find that is a great way to learn.

I have. Some games that I review are a bit skewed in my opinion, as the allies do dumb things, like unnecessarily losing unprotected transports, or not sinking the german BB on round 1 leading to the Africa being contested easily etc. The only major thing that i see the Axis doing that we don’t do is go after the UK BB in the Atlantic with a sub, bomber and fighter. Is this a must move?

• '16

@atease:

@MrMalachiCrunch:

I have. Some games that I review are a bit skewed in my opinion, as the allies do dumb things, like unnecessarily losing unprotected transports, or not sinking the german BB on round 1 leading to the Africa being contested easily etc. The only major thing that i see the Axis doing that we don’t do is go after the UK BB in the Atlantic with a sub, bomber and fighter. Is this a must move?

It is not a must move. And it is not true that the russians are as strong as the germans. If Germany and Japan collaborate against russia (which they should), they can push back the russians quite a lot before the english and the US have time to help.
    But it is also true that the axis cannot afford to lose valuable units by doing dumb stuff like you said, like the allies can do to a larger extent.
    If you like, I would be happy play the axis against you over the forum.

I would also recommend the threads written by Hobbes which can be found in the last post here:
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=32170.0

• I used to play the 1984 version.  To balance the game, we’ve change the ipc values of the pacific side so there’s more combat for Islands. The USA beginning income demain unchanged and the japan is augmented by 3. We also use Ussr restricted.

So the game is even for both sides.

I want to buy the new version. How do you balance that one ?

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

The new version is now 42 2nd edition, which is quite different from the 1st edition.  I play both and enjoy them all  :-D  It’s a different challenge.  The 1st edition is more similar to the 84 map but the rules are updated; the 2nd edition seems to match more the new standard and has a more drastic change on map.  Personally I find them equally entertaining but 2nd edition seems to give Axis even a stronger starting power - you could be surprised if you used to play 84 edition and played it the 1st time.

The only main drawback, I heard, for the 1E is not the game play but the physical board is a bit too tiny, so if you buy the 1E you might consider printing a large map to play.  I owe 42 2E and are pretty happy to have it so far.

Hope this helps.

• '16

@k-rizma:

I used to play the 1984 version.  To balance the game, we’ve change the ipc values of the pacific side so there’s more combat for Islands. The USA beginning income demain unchanged and the japan is augmented by 3. We also use Ussr restricted.

So the game is even for both sides.

I want to buy the new version. How do you balance that one ?

You don’t need to. In my opinion, the game is already balanced as it is. I’m talking about the 1942 spring edition. I haven’t played the 2nd edition yet.
    I could agree with innohub that the physical board is on the smaller side perhaps, however, it’s not a big problem (no pun intended!).

• We had a larger map (+50%) printed so size isn’t an issue anymore :)

One thing i’ve realized is that, as you know, rules change all the time and we weren’t playing according to the rules. We were playing 2-hit carrier: huge difference in the pacific. Pearl harbor less attractive, UK fleet less attractive to attack. Were also playing BB repair at start of turn. Big diff again.

maybe that’s all it was. Playing against innohub, and Japan after turn 1 is already a monster.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

I learn it from JEB and a friend named Witmann… :-D (their axis nails me down!)
    I am thinking of printing out a big 1E map too.  It is such a nice thing to have both map since I can use the pieces from 2E to play and they are vastly different experience in terms of strategy.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

Ahh I see now why your defense of British navy in our game was a little thin…  carrier 2-hit rule definitely makes a large difference and becomes much harder for Axis to attack the sea force (like I just did)

• Being axis is easier in these newer versions than the previous classic versions.  The three steps it takes America to get to Europe is a HUGE help to the Axis.  But here is my Germany and i can win 5/10 games doing this.  turn 1 buy all infantry YES all infantry then take out the allied navy with German navy and fighters/bomber.  Consolidate all Eastern German forces in one territory.  Turn 2 buy again ALL INFANTRY again.  Move the Infantry you bought turn 1 west so you can defend against Normandy invasion also move your fighters with the infantry in the west.  All the forces you consolidated retreat west closer to Germany don’t worry the German battering ram is coming.  Turn 3 buy all tanks move the infantry from turn two east and consolidate all forces in the EAST.  Turn 4 buy tanks move the massive consolidated force south never separate the infantry from the tanks.  turn 5 move tanks from turn 4 south with the main force.  Turn 6 Russia should be like OMG i cant kill that massive force you should be able to take caucuss now.  With japan my goal #1 is to take India at all costs if Japan has failed to do this use the German army in Caucuss to take India now you can separate the tanks from the infantry to take India.  Russia will take your infantry you left behind but that is fine and retake caucuss that is fine too .  now Japan is free to take Asia at will, Germany should begin to pound Russia wherever avail and take easy territories do not commit to a suicidal battle to Russia. By now the Allies can pose a threat to Western Europe.  But Germany and Japan should be collecting massive IPC’s Russia is doomed here in a few turns they just cannot deal with a mobile Japan and Germany and defend itself on two fronts.  I see a lot of German players go north i do not agree with this  becasue there is nowhere to break out like there is in the caucuss and also if Germany can break out into Asia they can knock the allies out of asia as well. with the defense boost tanks have now they are the most affordable attacker and blocker in one land unit and with some infantry cannon fodder they are nasty on offense and defense.  I go mass tanks with Japan and Germany.  If you cannot win with the Axis in the newer versions you are doing something wrong.  Either not attacking enough or buying aircraft or navy.  Germany really doesn’t need a navy and has enough aircraft to hold the whole game as long as you don’t loose them foolishly.  On paper the Allies have the advantage by getting 3 turns to axis 2 and also should have an IPC advantage.  But Germany is so massive early and it takes Allies 4-5 turns to begin to be effective that’s your window with Japan and Germany about 4- 6  turns after that Allies begin taking the game in their favor.  So you must get your objectives done in this time frame.  If you just turtle forever with Germany you will loose.  And i f Japan leaves India for too long its hard to take especially if UK buys a lot of fighters.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m