• I propose a moment of silence.
    Recently one of the greatest rts franchises in history finally succumbed in its long and painful battle with the cancer known as ‘EA’ (Electronic Arts).
    A particularly deadly form of cancer most notably known for causing extreme pain and suffering over several years.

Very recently EA axed the latest edition of the franchise and fired every employee related to C&C development.
    This doesn’t come as a surprise to me, EA made a complete joke of the franchise and this was as inevitable as the setting sun.

Knowing it was coming still did not prevent a part of me from dieing inside when I read the news.
    C&C games were by far my favorite and most played games growing up.

We all need to start to do our part and boycott the game destroying disease known as ‘EA’

And with that I say: Rest in peace command and conquer.

• On a positive note for the rts genre, there are two iconic franchises alive and well: Starcraft and Total Annihilation.
    The latter undergoing its third installment since supreme commander: Planet annihilation.

These are two great rts games that have so far avoided the disgusting and iron grip of ‘EA’

http://www.uberent.com/pa/
    TA played out on an entire planet! With moons and other planets within reach of your vast armies!

So in these dark days, there is still light.  :-)

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Well spoken Uncrustable.

I will stand in silence with you!

• The only thing fun about that game was sending hordes of German shepherds to exterminate neutral towns and watch the people get bitten.

Just build tons of those dog houses in Red Alert

• I’ll send in Tanja in a HMMWV and infiltrate your Homebase and after that a sqadron of Orcas.
    My Hackers steal your money and 10 a-bombs will drop in your camp, the Mother of all Weapons is deployed and ready, ha haha ha…and them you hear from your speakers: I have no shoes! and somebody is building an Armsdealer. The SCUD -Storm is comming.
    I liked C&C.
    GDI ,The U.S. and China were my favs.

Sad to hear that there will be no more C&C. :-(

C&C pic.jpg

• I was a big fan of cloning vats, fun to watch hordes upon hordes of soviet conscripts march to their death, getting mowed down by a dozen entrenched GIs lol.
    300 style.

Nothing beats the soviet heavy tank though.
    Best rts unit ever.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Mammoth Tanks made me LOVE tanks lol…

• Not sure I played much after Red Alert, but it was a good series early on.

Starcraft though…pretty vanilla/boring.  How did that series make it through?  Oh yeah, EA…

• @Gargantua:

Mammoth Tanks made me LOVE tanks lol…

I think you needed up to four or five NOD Tanks to destroy one Mammoth.
    Pretty nice Kill ratio though!

• @Jermofoot:

Starcraft though…pretty vanilla/boring.   How did that series make it through?  Oh yeah, EA…

What?

I’m not sure which statement boasts greater ignorance…

I’l refrain from feeding an apparent troll

• TripleA

oh thank god that the title was misleading.

i thought we had the ‘day the music died II’ with all of C&C music factory expiring in a plane crash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2VQQEoWlTg

• @Uncrustable:

@Jermofoot:

Starcraft though…pretty vanilla/boring.   How did that series make it through?  Oh yeah, EA…

What?

What, that Starcraft is the most mundane and unimaginative RTS that I’ve ever played?  Or that EA wasn’t there to impede/cancel development/publishing (thereby, still existing)?

Blizzard games as a whole are pretty generic.  I guess that’s why they are so popular - least common denominator.

• Customizer

@Jermofoot:

@Uncrustable:

@Jermofoot:

What?

What, that Starcraft is the most mundane and unimaginative RTS that I’ve ever played?  Or that EA wasn’t there to impede/cancel development/publishing (thereby, still existing)?

Blizzard games as a whole are pretty generic.  I guess that’s why they are so popular - least common denominator.

While I don’t agree with your troll-like tone, I do agree with your assessment of Starcraft. I myself started with Age of Empires (WOLOLOOOOO), and going to Starcraft, I found it simplistic and unimaginative. Later, when I discovered Warhammer 40K, I realized where Blizzard stole shamelessly ripped off got inspiration for their subject matter. (Space marines, bug-like aliens, crystal-wielding advanced aliens, etc. etc.)

I tried the second one that came out a few years ago, but basically if you’re not on a highly potent mix of Ritalin and Cocaine, you really can’t win against 90% of the players online these days.

• To each his own, but IMO starcraft is one of the most in depth rts games to have ever be created. StarCraft has won numerous Game of the Year awards, is often described as one of the best real-time strategy games made, and is widely credited with popularizing the use of distinct and unique sides—as opposed to sides of equal ability and strength.

The sheer number of viable and balanced units/strategies is mind boggling.
    And each strategy/unit has a perfectly viable and balanced counter.
    Leading to a mix of strategies and mix of units and a chess-like game play where scouting is key.

Most people who hate on starcraft do so because they do not know how to play it.

But IMO for online 1v1 there is no better rts.

It is the best selling rts of all time because of its incredible depth, combining 3 unique races to play along with incredible balance and an incredibly dedicated company.

This does not even consider one of the most in depth single player campaigns in rts…

There are drawbacks however, no naval, static air units, smaller scale than other rts (TA for one).
    But with any rts there are pros and cons, but unlike most rts there are far more pros in starcraft.

I have to say i used to hate on starcraft because of (click spam fest), but IMO once you learn to play, you realize how untrue this is.

There is a reason starcraft even 15 years old is still by far the most played rts out there, and one of the few games ever to be considered both a national pastime and an international sport. Predicted by Forbes as a possible addition to the Oympics by 2020.

In summation it is one the most in depth rts game ever and on top of that one of the most balanced rts ever. Combine that with one of the most dedicated gaming company out there for polishing its product.

• I was in high school and had a friend who was a top students, he got C&C and it rocked his world. He would come in to class having got 2 hour of sleep, his grades dropped from A to B & C. Then his mother got his report card. Lol

I can’t believe I remembered this event. Lol

• @Uncrustable:

To each his own, but IMO starcraft is one of the most in depth rts games to have ever be created. StarCraft has won numerous Game of the Year awards, is often described as one of the best real-time strategy games made, and is widely credited with popularizing the use of distinct and unique sides�as opposed to sides of equal ability and strength.

The sheer number of viable and balanced units/strategies is mind boggling.
    And each strategy/unit has a perfectly viable and balanced counter.
    Leading to a mix of strategies and mix of units and a chess-like game play where scouting is key.

Most people who hate on starcraft do so because they do not know how to play it.

But IMO for online 1v1 there is no better rts.

It is the best selling rts of all time because of its incredible depth, combining 3 unique races to play along with incredible balance and an incredibly dedicated company.

This does not even consider one of the most in depth single player campaigns in rts…

There are drawbacks however, no naval, static air units, smaller scale than other rts (TA for one).
    But with any rts there are pros and cons, but unlike most rts there are far more pros in starcraft.

I have to say i used to hate on starcraft because of (click spam fest), but IMO once you learn to play, you realize how untrue this is.

There is a reason starcraft even 15 years old is still by far the most played rts out there, and one of the few games ever to be considered both a national pastime and an international sport. Predicted by Forbes as a possible addition to the Oympics by 2020.

In summation it is one the most in depth rts game ever and on top of that one of the most balanced rts ever. Combine that with one of the most dedicated gaming company out there for polishing its product.

Bogus.  How can you say it’s the most in depth then go into what it’s missing?

Command & Conquer/Red Alert both came out before Starcraft and had faction diversity.  Dune (for Genesis)/Dune 2 (PC) also had side differences.  Starcraft didn’t pioneer anything new to the RTS genre - it had all been done before.

It is popular, yes.  That doesn’t make it good.  And half the players are in South Korea, what’s up with that?

It’s generic.  Give me AoE2 2vs2 with only one civilization per side.  Give me Savage: The Battle for Newerth for it’s FPS/RTS fusion gameplay.  Give me the tactical RTS Close Combat.

I’m not saying Starcraft is a bad game, just that it’s a bland RTS comparatively.

• Command & Conquer/Red Alert both came out before Starcraft and had faction diversity.

As much as i loved red alert, it had little faction diversity. And was a single unit spam multiplayer game (heavy tanks/med tanks)
    You simply spammed factories and spammed tanks, bleh.
    Both sides had rifle infantry, both sides had rocket infantry, both sides all the same buildings, both sides 2 tanks (heavy/mammoth and light/med)
    naval and air were really the only place where there was diversity
    im mean there are only 2 races and they nearly mirror each other

Starcraft features 3 unique races all with their own unique (drastically different) units. all with their own way of building things.
    litterally the only unit all 3 races have is workers, but again even they have drastic differences
    and there are hardly any unused units in multiplayer, there are very little spams (very easy to counter)
    most games feature many different unit combos/builds and no game ever plays the same

im begginning to think you never actually played much starcraft :P

It is popular, yes.  That doesn’t make it good.

So does being unpopular make it good? Does being popular make it bad?
    This statement really has no merit, it means nothing.
    And is always the biggest argument people have against things that are popular :P

It’s generic

It’s generic how?
    How many other rts feature 3 completely different races, all nearly 100% balanced, with more effective builds/strategies than you can count one 2 hands
    How many other rts has dominated the market for so long?
    I think there is a reason SC is so popular, becuase its very addicting and very competitive, the more you play and the better you get, the more you realize just how much depth there is and how much more you have to learn …

I’m not saying Starcraft is a bad game, just that it’s a bland RTS comparatively.

again to each his own, but i seriously question whether you even played it for more than 30 minutes

one could argue red alert was very bland, lacking in depth…a complete and boring spam fest
    you could only build one building at a time…
    you could only build one of each unit type at a time…

seriously go watch a couple pro games of red alert 1 (tank spam fests)
    then go watch some pro games of sc2 (wildly varying unit combos/strategies from wildly varying races)

Did starcraft reinvent the wheel? One would argue yes (3 unique races)

You also have to admit starcraft comes from a much better (and refreshingly consistent) gaming company
    c&c westwood was great, but eventually sold out.
    c&c victory games(EA) was mostly crap and eventually axed

total annihilation series also featured mostly the same devs for supcom and now planetary annihilation (though 3 dif companies)

• Red Alert 2 Yuri’s Revenge, Is my favourite RTS game hands down.

C&C Renegade based off the first C&C, is my favourite first person shooter of all time. No contest.

There is an Indy gaming company called Totem Arts, who is remaking Renegade with modern graphics engine. They are calling it Renegade X

Its a stand-alone game totally free because of licence issues. They already realeased the single player story mode. Multi player is coming out next year. EA is actually helping them out with play testing and what not. They agreed to support Totem Arts so they could help bring more awareness to their brand.

If you like C&C and FPS you should totally check out Renegade X

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/renegadex/481/interview.html

• If any of you were a fan of the Mammoth tank. You get to DRIVE one in Renegade.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

@allweneedislove:

oh thank god that the title was misleading.

i thought we had the ‘day the music died II’ with all of C&C music factory expiring in a plane crash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2VQQEoWlTg

Haha, yea me too.  One guy died a long time ago.  This topic was “Gonna make me sweat.”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m