LHoffman's Painted Sculpts For Your Consideration

• Customizer

Lucas,

––Let me be the first (of many) to congratulate you on your EXCELLENT paint/decal work!  :-o 
    ––I’m so glad you posted some pics of these units you’ve done for me. I know your intent was only to share your work with the rest of us “crazies” as I know you to be a humble fellow,…but I truly think you deserve the recognition that your EXCELLENT talent deserves. I am certainly thankful to have you painting some “stuff” for me.  :-D

----The “gun smudges” on the Marine Wildcat’s wings are great! The same for the cockpit framing. And the exact plane numbers on the sides of the fuselages are fantastic! And the Red/White rudder strips turned out as well as I had hoped. Pat yourself on the back for a “job well done”!

“Tall Paul”

• Awesome work, as usual!

I have a question though, why do you have decals on both wings? Since everything else is historical accurate and very detailed, why did you add a decal on the right wing?

• Customizer

Swedo & Others,

@Swedo:

Awesome work, as usual!

I have a question though, why do you have decals on both wings? Since everything else is historical accurate and very detailed, why did you add a decal on the right wing?

––As Lucas painted these for me, perhaps he’ll forgive me for answering this question.

I’m a passionate military historian. But A&A is a GAME, and IMHO sometimes historical accuracy might be trumped by game play factors,…such as making the identity of units more visible. My game board has been enlarged 150% to 48" x 108" and I believe a slight “adjustment” to historical accuracy is a small price to pay in order to enable a player to see & identify his units from 9 feet away if possible.
    ----Also, my 88-year old Dad, a WW2 vet, plays with us and I’m sure his veteran eyes appreciate all the help they can get.

----One thing is for certain:
    Lucas certainly did a great job on these.

“Tall Paul”

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Swedo:

Awesome work, as usual!

Thanks Swedo (and Paul)… thought we would keep things going here since we do have some new stuff to show.

To answer your question: I put decals on both wings, first, because that was how Paul wanted them (customer gets what the customer wants) and, second, not all pictures I have seen of early war schemes have just 1 star on the wing. I have seen a number with 2 (such as those below). Markings were not always completely uniform in the service.

For A&A purposes it can also be easier and necessary to compromise some exact details for easy recognition during gameplay, or because the size of the piece will prohibit being completely true to real life.

As Paul said also, he plays the game with his dad (who is a WWII vet) and the easy recognition factor is important for him.

• I dont criticize, i was just curious. Now i know :) and i personally thinks it looks better with a roundel on both wings, i never understood why they only had it on one wing, anyone knows?

I guess its the same reason why some of you put stars on the wings of the soviet air units!

No problem… just letting you know.

• '14 '13

Question:  where did you purchase those decals for the aircraft? Unless I missed them completely, I haven’t seen those on the I-94 Enterprises website.

• Customizer

Jluna,

––The decals are from I-94Enterprises.
    Set US-102 includes the Blue circle w/White Stars and Red “dots” that are separate but can be added.
    Set US-138 includes the Red/White rudder stripes.
    The letters and numbers were also I-94 sets although you didn’t ask about them.

––I happened to see your question and thought I’d save Lucas some time looking them up.
    I think Lucas did a great job on these!  :-D

“Tall Paul”

• '14 '13

Tall Paul,

Thanks for the info, specifically the set numbers. I must have just missed them, I will look again. And yes, I agree, he did an outstanding job on these.

• '14 '13

On the subject of decals: has anyone found “Union Jack” decals? I looked on I-94 Enterprises and didn’t see anything.

@jluna1273:

On the subject of decals: has anyone found “Union Jack” decals? I looked on I-94 Enterprises and didn’t see anything.

Yeah, we have been having a similar discussion and cannot find them anywhere. Supposedly, Flames of War has some, but I have looked and been unable to find them.

• '14 '13

@LHoffman:

@jluna1273:

Yeah, we have been having a similar discussion and cannot find them anywhere. Supposedly, Flames of War has some, but I have looked and been unable to find them.

I emailed Dave Winfree from I-94 Enterprises last night to inquire about “Union Jack” decals and any plans to produce them.

The answer was “Yepper, about Labor Day”. So, now everyone knows and keep an eye out around that time.

@jluna1273:

I emailed Dave Winfree from I-94 Enterprises last night to inquire about “Union Jack” decals and any plans to produce them.

The answer was “Yepper, about Labor Day”. So, now everyone knows and keep an eye out around that time.

Excellent… I considered doing that after your comment. Hadn’t thought of it before, but at least it is being done.

• Customizer

@LHoffman:

@jluna1273:

Excellent… I considered doing that after your comment. Hadn’t thought of it before, but at least it is being done.

––Man,…that’s GREAT NEWS! And talk about good timing, too.
    ----Well, Lucas, I guess you now know two things. 1.) You won’t have to hand paint all of those “Union Jack” flags,
    and 2.) you’ll be painting my British-Pacific(Calcutta) armor and artillery forces very soon.

Go “TEAM WARMACHINE!”

“Tall Paul”

Here is the latest delivery for Tall Paul. Will post more pictures later.

(Lots of tanks.)

• '14 '13

So nice. Reminds me of my days stationed at Ft. Hood, TX. One road had all the unit motor pools and you could see tanks and trucks lined up everywhere.

@jluna1273:

So nice. Reminds me of my days stationed at Ft. Hood, TX. One road had all the unit motor pools and you could see tanks and trucks lined up everywhere.

Yeah… sort of the effect I was going for.

Included below are:

US Army Tanks (17) Stuarts and (17) Shermans
    US Marine Corps. Tanks (12) Stuarts and (12) Shermans
    ANZAC Tanks (5) Stuarts
    US Navy Fighters (2) F4F Wildcats

The ANZAC Stuarts and US Army/Marine Corps. Stuarts are HBG units modified by Sgt.WilTan

Shermans are unmodified HBG. Except that the US Army version has the coaxial flamethrower removed.

US Army tanks are standard olive drab green. USMC tanks have the same base color, but are darkened slightly with a wash and have dark green, “jungle” camouflage stripes.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m