LHoffman's Painted Sculpts For Your Consideration

• '14 '13

Tall Paul,

Thanks for the info, specifically the set numbers. I must have just missed them, I will look again. And yes, I agree, he did an outstanding job on these.

• '14 '13

On the subject of decals: has anyone found “Union Jack” decals? I looked on I-94 Enterprises and didn’t see anything.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@jluna1273:

On the subject of decals: has anyone found “Union Jack” decals? I looked on I-94 Enterprises and didn’t see anything.

Yeah, we have been having a similar discussion and cannot find them anywhere. Supposedly, Flames of War has some, but I have looked and been unable to find them.

• '14 '13

@LHoffman:

@jluna1273:

Yeah, we have been having a similar discussion and cannot find them anywhere. Supposedly, Flames of War has some, but I have looked and been unable to find them.

I emailed Dave Winfree from I-94 Enterprises last night to inquire about “Union Jack” decals and any plans to produce them.

The answer was “Yepper, about Labor Day”. So, now everyone knows and keep an eye out around that time.

@jluna1273:

I emailed Dave Winfree from I-94 Enterprises last night to inquire about “Union Jack” decals and any plans to produce them.

The answer was “Yepper, about Labor Day”. So, now everyone knows and keep an eye out around that time.

Excellent… I considered doing that after your comment. Hadn’t thought of it before, but at least it is being done.

• Customizer

@LHoffman:

@jluna1273:

Excellent… I considered doing that after your comment. Hadn’t thought of it before, but at least it is being done.

––Man,…that’s GREAT NEWS! And talk about good timing, too.
    ----Well, Lucas, I guess you now know two things. 1.) You won’t have to hand paint all of those “Union Jack” flags,
    and 2.) you’ll be painting my British-Pacific(Calcutta) armor and artillery forces very soon.

Go “TEAM WARMACHINE!”

“Tall Paul”

Here is the latest delivery for Tall Paul. Will post more pictures later.

(Lots of tanks.)

• '14 '13

So nice. Reminds me of my days stationed at Ft. Hood, TX. One road had all the unit motor pools and you could see tanks and trucks lined up everywhere.

@jluna1273:

So nice. Reminds me of my days stationed at Ft. Hood, TX. One road had all the unit motor pools and you could see tanks and trucks lined up everywhere.

Yeah… sort of the effect I was going for.

Included below are:

US Army Tanks (17) Stuarts and (17) Shermans
    US Marine Corps. Tanks (12) Stuarts and (12) Shermans
    ANZAC Tanks (5) Stuarts
    US Navy Fighters (2) F4F Wildcats

The ANZAC Stuarts and US Army/Marine Corps. Stuarts are HBG units modified by Sgt.WilTan

Shermans are unmodified HBG. Except that the US Army version has the coaxial flamethrower removed.

US Army tanks are standard olive drab green. USMC tanks have the same base color, but are darkened slightly with a wash and have dark green, “jungle” camouflage stripes.

• Customizer

Lucas,

––I really enjoy seeing the pics of your work as they are all well-lit and in focus, some showing the tanks in quite detailed close-ups. Good Job! I only hope you took a few (dozen) more (G).
    ----I’m very much looking forward to receiving these US Army and USMC Stuart and Sherman tanks along with the Anzac Stuarts. They’ve been a while in coming but I’m very happy that the “WARACHINE TEAM” factory is now producing at full speed and I’m looking forward to literally hundreds more units modified/detailed by Wil and painted by you. BTW, the Anzac ‘Commonwealth’ Shermans should be included Wil’s next shipment to you.
    ––The paint jobs look GREAT and I can’t wait to put my beady little eyes on them myself.
    ––The ‘flag’ decals on the tanks top-rear decks look as good as I’d hoped. I think it will hugely aid in identifying unit ownership from even 10-15 feet away. That’s important on my enlarged gameboard, especially with my 88 year old Dad. Since my Dad almost always plays America he will now have some sharp-looking units to kill my brother and me with, haha.  :-D

Keep up the EXCELLENT WORK!
    “Tall Paul”

@Tall:

Lucas,

––I really enjoy seeing the pics of your work as they are all well-lit and in focus, some showing the tanks in quite detailed close-ups. Good Job! I only hope you took a few (dozen) more (G).
    ----I’m very much looking forward to receiving these US Army and USMC Stuart and Sherman tanks along with the Anzac Stuarts. They’ve been a while in coming but I’m very happy that the “WARACHINE TEAM” factory is now producing at full speed and I’m looking forward to literally hundreds more units modified/detailed by Wil and painted by you. BTW, the Anzac ‘Commonwealth’ Shermans should be included Wil’s next shipment to you.
    ––The paint jobs look GREAT and I can’t wait to put my beady little eyes on them myself.
    ––The ‘flag’ decals on the tanks top-rear decks look as good as I’d hoped. I think it will hugely aid in identifying unit ownership from even 10-15 feet away. That’s important on my enlarged gameboard, especially with my 88 year old Dad. Since my Dad almost always plays America he will now have some sharp-looking units to kill my brother and me with, haha.  :-D

Keep up the EXCELLENT WORK!
    “Tall Paul”

Oh, you have not received them yet? … I assumed you got them yesterday, as they were supposed to arrive. Perhaps they are delayed a day. I didn’t want to put these up until after you got them in your possession.

Thanks Paul.

• Customizer

Lucas,

––I just received the Tank Divisions along with their own air cover today, late Wednesday afternoon.
    Wow! I love 'em.  :-D
    ––BTW, you shouldn’t ever need to hold back posting your pics because I haven’t gotten my grubby hands on them yet. But you know, that probably is an astute decision on your part because after I saw the pics,…I WANTED THEM,…haha.
    ----Since they came in I started modifying some new storage trays for them like I had been planning. I’ll fill you in on them later, maybe with some pics, too.
    ----Again, the paint jobs and all of the details are terrific! The black ‘wash’ on all of the tanks is very effective and not only looks great, but accentuates all of the details.
    ----The only thing I think we might slightly alter is to put a light or medium brown “dust/dirt” wash on the remaining U.S. Army units to be done. This would make them visually distinctive from the US Marine units as they look quite simular at the moment. I can “dust” the Army units you just sent me myself. Don’t get me wrong,…They all look GREAT just as they are,…and I’m very happy with them. I just want to make them different from each other. The black ‘wash’ simply made the Army o.d. green units simular to the Marine’s dark green camo stripes.

Again,…Great Job!  :-D

“Tall Paul”

@Tall:

––The only thing I think we might slightly alter is to put a light or medium brown “dust/dirt” wash on the remaining U.S. Army units to be done. This would make them visually distinctive from the US Marine units as they look quite simular at the moment. I can “dust” the Army units you just sent me myself. Don’t get me wrong,…They all look GREAT just as they are,…and I’m very happy with them. I just want to make them different from each other. The black ‘wash’ simply made the Army o.d. green units simular to the Marine’s dark green camo stripes.

Yes, I noticed that this would occur also… unfortunately, there was no way to paint them well without the wash in my opinion. If I didn’t they would very likely look flat. So I added some lighter green on raised surfaces then went over that with gray highlights. This seemed to provide some visual distinction. A second thing I did was to make the US Army versions with light gray tracks/wheels and the USMC versions have dark green tracks w/ camo wheel assemblies. This is not very noticeable from above, but it is from the side. And it aligned more with the pictures I was referencing.

Glad you like them so much Paul.

• Customizer

Lucas,

YES,….I definitely liked them. And I’m not being the least bit critical of the dark gray/black ‘wash’ at all because it makes the units look GREAT! My only concern was it made the US Army tanks a darker overall green and thus are hard to distinguish from the green w/blackish green camo scheme of the US Marine units.
    ––I think the remaining US Army units (heavy tanks, tank destroyers, mech. infantry, artillery, s/p artillery, trucks, etc.) would look better with a dust/dirt ‘wash’ that would lighten their overall colors and make them visually distinctive from the US Marine units.
    ----We might also make the dark gray/black wash a tiny bit weaker on the remaining US Marine units so as to bring out the blackish green camo stripes more.
    ----As far as camo schemes go,…the Anzac camo scheme is Fantastic! I just too bad this scheme is on a minor powers’ units.
    Keep up the good work. Go “TEAM WARMACHINE”!

“Tall Paul”

@Tall:

––I think the remaining US Army units (heavy tanks, tank destroyers, mech. infantry, artillery, s/p artillery, trucks, etc.) would look better with a dust/dirt ‘wash’ that would lighten their overall colors and make them visually distinctive from the US Marine units.

I can try something to that effect. I am not sure how a brown wash would differ significantly from the black. But I will see what I can do. I think we want to retain as much of the base green as possible without it looking flat… that is the trick.

@Tall:

––We might also make the dark gray/black wash a tiny bit weaker on the remaining US Marine units so as to bring out the blackish green camo stripes more.

I can try that also. I wanted to bring out the stripes as much as possible, so I did them after the wash was applied. However, it would really only affect the base green either way, so, we just need to lighten that up a bit.

• Customizer

Lucas, Marine units used more disruptive camo due to the closer combat distances of the pacific jungle theater. You could use a lighter brown rather than black to differentiate the units from Army ones. Leave a bit of black on the edges of the stripes to accentuate them.

Pual, sorry, I’ve been delinquent in my production but things have settled a bit for me to start working on the backlog. Your T34s are finished and I’ll have them sent to Lucas after I take pics of them on my thread.

Forgot to add. Great job with the painting. The higher contrast does bring out the details. You got any closeups of the Brit Stuarts?

@sgtwiltan:

Lucas, Marine units used more disruptive camo due to the closer combat distances of the pacific jungle theater. You could use a lighter brown rather than black to differentiate the units from Army ones. Leave a bit of black on the edges of the stripes to accentuate them.

I might try doing that. Actually, I flirted briefly with outlining the stripes (in a lighter green) but abandoned the idea after it didn’t show much promise. Your solution sounds more promising.

I will try it if Paul is okay with the difference between the tanks and other Marine units.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m