• The first of what will be many painted units. Any suggestions other than get better at detail by painting more? Between the flight stands, bigger board, new units from HBG, and now paint, I think I am set for a little while. That is until one of you posts something else I “absolutely must have”
    IMG_0625.JPG

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Awesome job, my friend. :-D

Have you thought about decals or do you like to paint everything, because it can save you a lot of painting, unless you enjoy doing that?

Can’t wait to see your next piece.

Cheers!

John

• I have thought about decals for naval vessels and potentially armor. For this fighter I figured painting was easy enough. I might need to look into them for more stuff though. Any recommended sites for them?

@bgugs:

I have thought about decals for naval vessels and potentially armor. For this fighter I figured painting was easy enough. I might need to look into them for more stuff though. Any recommended sites for them?

HBG, pico armour, I 94 enterprises, but he is hard to get a hold of, 1/144 direct on ebay UK, but it takes a couple weeks to get his, because he is based out of England.

Combatminiatures.org will soon have hard to find decals that will be available.

These are the ones I can think of at the moment.

I hope this helps. :-)

P. S. You need to get decal solution as well. I just got mine on ebay for cheap.

• I picked up my decal solution at a local hobby store.  Dom’s decals sells decals that are all A&A comparable for about the same price as I-94.  I-94 only has a few usable decals peer sheet.  Can’t vouch for quality yet.  I am going to order mine soon.  Just for thought, the website is domsdecals.com

• Oh I was not aware of the solution. Thank you guys I will look into those options for other units in the game

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Nice job!  The “solution” for decals is Microsol.  Most hobby stores will carry it, and its a must-have for Dom’s Decals.  The I-94 decals available in the decal section of HBG don’t need it and are much easier to use than Dom’s because of the way they’re made.  You’ll also want to protect the decals by spraying your pieces with flat lacquer.  The 2 I-94 versions of the Japanese meatball, with and without the white border, are nice but only about a third of each decal sheet is usable on A&A planes.  However, each decal is printed separately on the sheet and comes off in it’s natural shape.  With Dom’s Decals, the whole sheet is one big decal with lots of little roundels printed on it, which makes it more difficult to use.  Imagine cutting out 2 millimeter fuselage decals for your Spitfires (a job I just finished and I only lost one) and trying not to leave too much clear border that will hang over.  Then the decal has to dry, and then you have to Microsol it carefully so you don’t move it (if you’ve taken the time to line it up with the one on the other side) and then wait for the Microsol to dry.  If you’re REALLY serious about it, you can also buy one of those magnifying glasses with a light around it on a stand for around 50 bucks at Office Depot.  I also suggest finding some Army Painter brand brushes and getting one called “Insane Detail” and another called “The Psycho”.  They’re nice and small and will allow you to get really tight, crisp lines between colors, like on cockpit canopies and camo detail.

Keep it up and keep posting!

• I’ve got 10 of the white zeros and now 1 of these so far.

image1.JPG

• The color doesn’t show that well in the picture but its color matches this pretty closely

zero.jpg

@bgugs:

The color doesn’t show that well in the picture but its color matches this pretty closely

bgugs, it is close enough. Sometimes, you may not get a perfect match, but if it is close enough, people will be able to tell what you were trying to achieve.

Awesome job! Can’t wait to see more. :-)

Cheers!

John

• I figured you guys could tell what it was going for, what I meant was it looks more yellow in the picture than it does in does when you hold it in your hand. But thank you I hopefully will have more to show soon. I hope to have the entire OOB Japanese air force done within two weeks of now. I am waiting to place an order from HBG that will give me some new Japanese aircraft but I am not counting that in the air force yet

@bgugs:

I figured you guys could tell what it was going for, what I meant was it looks more yellow in the picture than it does in does when you hold it in your hand. But thank you I hopefully will have more to show soon. I hope to have the entire OOB Japanese air force done within two weeks of now. I am waiting to place an order from HBG that will give me some new Japanese aircraft but I am not counting that in the air force yet

I see what you are talking about. You’ll have to forgive me, lol, I’ve been doing honey do’s for my wife today, and the list was quite long, lol.

I’m just tired. :-D

• Not a big deal, I didn’t phrase it the best way so I see where you were coming from

• Latest addition to the Japanese planes. Got 5 in this color, 4 left to do a second color scheme

IMG_1193 (1).JPG

• One day I will post a picture and it won’t be sideways…

• The last of the Japanese Tactical Bombers are painted. These are the last of the Japanese planes for now until I get taller flight stands for the strategic bombers.

image2 (1).JPG
    image3.JPG

• Here are all the different styles I did and all of the planes that are painted together

image4.JPG
    image1 (1).JPG

bgugs, these are looking awesome. Keep up the good work. :-D

• First Japanese Artillery. I haven’t decided yet if I like this coloration yet. I will see how it grows on me, I won’t be painting anymore until I have stuff to order from amazon so I can get the Psycho and Insane Detail without having to pay shipping twice. Its getting to hard to get small details in with the brushes I have.

IMG_1303.JPG
    image2 (2).JPG

• Last picture of it with the one it was modeled after (with some minor changes)

image1 (2).JPG
    Japanese gun.jpg

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m