• Customizer

Wil,

––Here’s a pic to “check-out”.

“Tall Paul”

i04025.jpg
    CargoShipSide.jpg

• Customizer

Wil,

––FYI, here’s a future project that I feel is very important. It’s the WWII-era
    APD “Fast Attack Transports” re-built from the WWI-era “4-Piper” Destroyers. These were rebuilt specifically for transporting the Marine Raiders. The APD’s became famous as the “Green Dragons” for their unique and distictive multi-color green camoflage that allowed them to hide under overhanging coastal jungle deep in the then enemy-controlled Solomons.
    ––As has been explained to me by IL “The Great War 1914-1918” will include some American “4-Piper” Destroyers. The “4-P DD” is in the top row, 2nd from the left in the pic below if I’m correct. What do YOU think about these???

“Tall Paul”

DSCN3730.JPG

• Customizer

Wil,

––Here are a couple of pics of the APD Fast Attack Transports after completion.
    ––Also, here’s a link to IL’s thread concerning his “The Great War 1914-1918 Game”.

http://axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=29344.0

----These would be GREAT units to have, don’t you think?
    ––Also, I’ve been wanting to do a Solomons Game of the size of a G-40 game and these would be NECESSARY units.

“Tall Paul”

100400107.jpg
    apd05_90mckean_02_360.jpg

• Customizer

Doable. Any better close-up detail pics of the PPDs would be appreciated.

• Customizer

Wil,

––GREAT!
    ––I have one more pic on hand to share, but will do some more research. The best and only book on the Green Dragons, which has scale drawings and everything, would be great for reference. But last time I checked it was between $100-$200. I might just “bite the bullet” here and buy it. I’ll let you know.

“Tall Paul”

ban_apd009dent.jpg

• Customizer

Wil,

––Here’s a link to a web-site I found a long time ago, and a none too detailed drawing. The web-site has a good color drawing of the APDs and a LOT of info.

http://destroyerhistory.org/flushdeck/apd1/

More info soon.

“Tall Paul”

100400114.jpg

• Customizer

Wil,

––I’ve found and purchased an excellent copy of “The Green Dragons” book. It’s a 2nd edition that has 40 additional pages. These books are so few and in such demand their prices ranged from $110-$563! I should receive it in a week or so, I’ll read it, and then send it to you for your reference. Just remember to ship it back with the completed APDs, please(Grin). I have to go right now but will continue on this subject later.

––Also, do you think you could salvage the lifeboats from some of the FMG Italian Transports to be used on the APDs?

“Tall Paul”

• Customizer

Awesome - reworking transports with cranes, lifeboats being used on other ships… sounds like a proper warmachine in the works  :evil:

• Customizer

V,

@Viracocha:

Awesome - reworking transports with cranes, lifeboats being used on other ships… sounds like a proper warmachine in the works � :evil:

––Yeah, we have a real WARMACHINE TEAM of Tan/Hoffman/Harwell going on here with lots of projects in the works. Planes, Tanks, Ships, everything! It shouldn’t be very long before we have some “stuff” to share with everyone. Sometimes we comunicate via this forum instead of by e-mail. I hope it doesn’t bother anyone.

––BTW, I’m always interested in seeing some MORE pics of YOUR interesting paintjobs on your thread. Pleeeeeeeeease.

“Tall Paul”

• Some great modding i tried modding some U.S transports but it was messy at such a fine scale. Thanks for mentioning my half tracks too

• Customizer

Just realized it Paul, you named your talented detailing crew the warmachine I mentioned.  Eh eh eh - appropriate.

• Customizer

@chagadiel:

Some great modding i tried modding some U.S transports but it was messy at such a fine scale. Thanks for mentioning my half tracks too

Your painted Halftracks showed me how good they could look even without added 3d details.
    I decided to raise some details and like the vieports, rear hatches, MG, and helmets and will paint them in the same manner as yours.

Love all these Picture threads and at the same time hate them.
    Too many possibilities and not enough patience to get my own pieces into a playable finished state for even just one Game.
    Maybe I’ll have the original game ready within the year.

Pics comparing OOB units to modded and if possible without base coat coming up for this weekend.

• Customizer

@sgtwiltan:

@chagadiel:

Some great modding i tried modding some U.S transports but it was messy at such a fine scale. Thanks for mentioning my half tracks too

Your painted Halftracks showed me how good they could look even without added 3d details.
    I decided to raise some details and like the vieports, rear hatches, MG, and helmets and will paint them in the same manner as yours.

Love all these Picture threads and at the same time hate them.
    Too many possibilities and not enough patience to get my own pieces into a playable finished state for even just one Game.
    Maybe I’ll have the original game ready within the year.

“Too many possibilities” - yeah. I hear ya.  Curse you and Chag and Hoff and Paul for posting so many damn options. eh eh eh

I like your camo schemes Chag… I’m gonna kipe some of 'em.  :evil:

• painting the whole set is a gigantic task. something i have not done.
    i started with the country i love and end up playing mostly the americans and then do the next lot.
    I finaly got to play the germans last weekend and becuase of the extra minis i have got for them i was able to be anal and play the first two rounds with dark grey panzer4d’s and dark grey mechs. Then replace new tanks with the new camo panzer4’s stug3’s and yellow cammo half traks and finaly at the end of the game my tigers and elephunts.
    The allies took great pleasure in bombing my tigers to hell after they counter attacked the allies off the normandy coast.

The raised parts will do a good job especially if you do washes. They look nice and detailed. The mechs i did was one of two experiments and i liked the one with helmets i kept the paint brush random after all men dont sit there perfectly in line and added a couplie of dabs of highlight on parts of the helmets. It really doesnt matter if they are perfect as the eye and brain pick it all up and except it so.

• Customizer

Fricking love your Germans!  Eheheh - you did the appropriate change up of figs - sweet, man after my own heart.

I was thinking when I looked at your half-tracks, ‘cool, realism in that those guys are on a bumpy road and/or talking amongst themselves’…  :lol:

• Customizer

Re-Organized
    Now on 1st Page

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Those are sick Wil. They look like almost completely different pieces. It will be a pleasure to work with them.

What do you use as material and adhesive? Or did you already state that at the beginning of the thread?

• Customizer

Wil,

––Wow! Awesome! I agree with Lucas in that these ‘modified’ pieces look like completely new pieces!
    ––All of the details on the Tigers are simply overwhelming.
    ----And on the Panthers, I keep finding more & more changes you’ve made. The modified glacis plate and gun tube are major improvements.
    ----The Pz IIIs and Pz 38Ts are in such proportion, especially the new barrel on the Pz 38Ts.
    ----To my surprise, the 105 Artillery is probably my favorite. For such a ordinary unit it looks so fascinating.
    ----And although I was not planning on using Armored Cars in my games, These babies are too pretty not to have. Shame on you. :-D
    ----If I may ask, I’d certainly enjoy a close-up of that nice AK Cargo Transport.

Again, Great Job!
    “Tall Paul”

• Customizer

Sorry Paul,

I need to take some more pics for your Panzer group and make them bigger as well as get enlarged pics of the scaling set.
    I made the picture height 300 pixels but need to double that for the wider pictures.

• Customizer

Wil,

––Cool pics. Dare I ask who the “12 year old” is?

“Tall Paul”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m