SgtWilTan's mods and conversions of A&A pieces

• Customizer

Thanks V, I got the idea from your work so that when I paint the pieces, they will be worth the painting effort.
    I will also be using these pieces for other games as well.

Paul, I’ve got the prototype for the Cargo carrier made but have not taken the picture as I have a bunch of pictures to take for other projects. I’ll try to get them to you by the end of the week.
    The prototype is 2 masted with cranes going fore and aft with a pair of gun tubs port/starboard on the lower deck with a larger gun tub on the Foc’sl. I think this is the design I’m going with. I’m using plastic since metal rods require quite a bit more pressure to insert and can result in more cast-offs. The design seem pretty durable but will require some care in storage. The care will be the same in keeping your painted pieces looking pristine and unchipped from wear. The paint and lacquer coat will also add another layer of durability in the end.

I have also started on some of the arty but mostly just prep work before the real modding starts.
    Hope you like.

• Customizer

From mine? Wow… I did do some mods (mostly infantry, but also the Russian carrier and Italian craft) - but nothing in comparison to the good stuff you have going on.  I’m excited to see what yours look like once they’re painted up Sarge - and have started retooling some of my stuff as well  Much obliged for posting the pics!

• Customizer

V, Your anniversary pics on Boardgame geek gave me the painting ideas but I wanted to use my A&A pieces detailed enough so I wouldn’t have to use GHQ lead tanks for my board games. I actually scratch built plastic tanks for the original A&A game before the A&A expansion and evolving scope of the gaming pieces.

I should have new pics of the Tigers in basecoat Panzer grey along with 45 HBG modified and detailed Pz IIIs. I may post more of my old scratch builds and in progress prep work of Shermans and Matildas. I may even have time to basecoat the panthers in DunkelGelb just to see what they look like base coated. I’m too much of a historian to paint my Panthers in grey. I’ll be using the Panzer IIIs for my A&A board games rather than the Panthers and the Tigers will be the elite upgrades. Panthers did not reach the front till 1943 while Pz IIIs and Pz IVs were used thoughout WWII.

• Customizer

OOhh… ahhh… let’s see those photos Sgt, I’m anxious.  eh eh eh

• Customizer

Re-Organized
    Now on 1st Page

• Customizer

Wow! n Cooolll…  So I gave my hand at it… ehhh, my first go on a Panzer was terrible… gonna just cover that one up, but trying a second out…

• Customizer

I’ve been doing this for decades and it took a long time to learn.
    You can actually use different shades of paint to give some form of depth without having to make everything truly 3d.
    Look at some of the modelling sites to get an idea. Also look for 1/72 scale paper models. They basically do a basic 3d model and the print work
    gives an illusion of depth even though most of the model is flat sheets. I choose the full 3d route and enjoy the results but have not really
    used them for gaming where they get a lot of handling. Try just extending the glacis below the tank treads and fill in the other details with lighter or darker paint to create an illusion of depth.

Here is an example by Chagadeil for just using paint to add depth

• Customizer

Wil,

––Here’s a pic to “check-out”.

“Tall Paul”

i04025.jpg
    CargoShipSide.jpg

• Customizer

Wil,

––FYI, here’s a future project that I feel is very important. It’s the WWII-era
    APD “Fast Attack Transports” re-built from the WWI-era “4-Piper” Destroyers. These were rebuilt specifically for transporting the Marine Raiders. The APD’s became famous as the “Green Dragons” for their unique and distictive multi-color green camoflage that allowed them to hide under overhanging coastal jungle deep in the then enemy-controlled Solomons.
    ––As has been explained to me by IL “The Great War 1914-1918” will include some American “4-Piper” Destroyers. The “4-P DD” is in the top row, 2nd from the left in the pic below if I’m correct. What do YOU think about these???

“Tall Paul”

DSCN3730.JPG

• Customizer

Wil,

––Here are a couple of pics of the APD Fast Attack Transports after completion.
    ––Also, here’s a link to IL’s thread concerning his “The Great War 1914-1918 Game”.

http://axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=29344.0

----These would be GREAT units to have, don’t you think?
    ––Also, I’ve been wanting to do a Solomons Game of the size of a G-40 game and these would be NECESSARY units.

“Tall Paul”

100400107.jpg
    apd05_90mckean_02_360.jpg

• Customizer

Doable. Any better close-up detail pics of the PPDs would be appreciated.

• Customizer

Wil,

––GREAT!
    ––I have one more pic on hand to share, but will do some more research. The best and only book on the Green Dragons, which has scale drawings and everything, would be great for reference. But last time I checked it was between $100-$200. I might just “bite the bullet” here and buy it. I’ll let you know.

“Tall Paul”

ban_apd009dent.jpg

• Customizer

Wil,

––Here’s a link to a web-site I found a long time ago, and a none too detailed drawing. The web-site has a good color drawing of the APDs and a LOT of info.

http://destroyerhistory.org/flushdeck/apd1/

More info soon.

“Tall Paul”

100400114.jpg

• Customizer

Wil,

––I’ve found and purchased an excellent copy of “The Green Dragons” book. It’s a 2nd edition that has 40 additional pages. These books are so few and in such demand their prices ranged from $110-$563! I should receive it in a week or so, I’ll read it, and then send it to you for your reference. Just remember to ship it back with the completed APDs, please(Grin). I have to go right now but will continue on this subject later.

––Also, do you think you could salvage the lifeboats from some of the FMG Italian Transports to be used on the APDs?

“Tall Paul”

• Customizer

Awesome - reworking transports with cranes, lifeboats being used on other ships… sounds like a proper warmachine in the works  :evil:

• Customizer

V,

@Viracocha:

Awesome - reworking transports with cranes, lifeboats being used on other ships… sounds like a proper warmachine in the works � :evil:

––Yeah, we have a real WARMACHINE TEAM of Tan/Hoffman/Harwell going on here with lots of projects in the works. Planes, Tanks, Ships, everything! It shouldn’t be very long before we have some “stuff” to share with everyone. Sometimes we comunicate via this forum instead of by e-mail. I hope it doesn’t bother anyone.

––BTW, I’m always interested in seeing some MORE pics of YOUR interesting paintjobs on your thread. Pleeeeeeeeease.

“Tall Paul”

• Some great modding i tried modding some U.S transports but it was messy at such a fine scale. Thanks for mentioning my half tracks too

• Customizer

Just realized it Paul, you named your talented detailing crew the warmachine I mentioned.  Eh eh eh - appropriate.

• Customizer

@chagadiel:

Some great modding i tried modding some U.S transports but it was messy at such a fine scale. Thanks for mentioning my half tracks too

Your painted Halftracks showed me how good they could look even without added 3d details.
    I decided to raise some details and like the vieports, rear hatches, MG, and helmets and will paint them in the same manner as yours.

Love all these Picture threads and at the same time hate them.
    Too many possibilities and not enough patience to get my own pieces into a playable finished state for even just one Game.
    Maybe I’ll have the original game ready within the year.

Pics comparing OOB units to modded and if possible without base coat coming up for this weekend.

• Customizer

@sgtwiltan:

@chagadiel:

Some great modding i tried modding some U.S transports but it was messy at such a fine scale. Thanks for mentioning my half tracks too

Your painted Halftracks showed me how good they could look even without added 3d details.
    I decided to raise some details and like the vieports, rear hatches, MG, and helmets and will paint them in the same manner as yours.

Love all these Picture threads and at the same time hate them.
    Too many possibilities and not enough patience to get my own pieces into a playable finished state for even just one Game.
    Maybe I’ll have the original game ready within the year.

“Too many possibilities” - yeah. I hear ya.  Curse you and Chag and Hoff and Paul for posting so many damn options. eh eh eh

I like your camo schemes Chag… I’m gonna kipe some of 'em.  :evil:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m