• Anyone have a good method of randomly selecting countries before a game? My gaming group is having a big game in 2 weeks (oversized map with the addition if Italy as a country), and we want to randomly draw countries, but rather than just pick them at random, I was going to have everyone submit (in private before the event) a list of their country choices in order from their top pick to their last pick.

The the morning of the event we’d look at everyones top choice. If only 1 guy wants Russia (for example) then he gets it. If two people want the United States, they’d roll 1D6 for it and the highest roll gets it… The loser of the roll would then have this number 2 choice. If multiple people have picked duplicate countries then we keep rolling off until everyone has a country.

This will hopefully allow people to get to play a country at least in their top 1, 2 or 3 slots…

Has anyone had any success or problems with a system such as this? Everytime we do ‘random’ pulls it seems like half the people are always upset over playing a country they hate, etc, but if we just allow people to pick a country they want, we usually have a couple people wanting the same country, or the couple guys who ALWAYS play the same country and by now we have gotten used to their tactics, etc., and it makes for a boring game.

Ideas?

I have already requested every player emails me their list of countries in order from top to bottom, but I have not said how exactly I will be assigning countries on the morning of the event.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions…
    Derek…

• Since you have 6 nations…

Assign everyone a number 1 through 6.

Roll a die.  Whoever has the number shown on the die roll, picks the country they want.

Repeat as needed until the last person gets whatever nation is left.

• That is actually not a bad idea! I like it…  I am goign to work on a modification of it using peoples top lists, but I like your idea.

Derek…

• Yeah just do that.
    Its the same method as selecting national advantages. It was in OOB or LHTR.

• Derek,

At a first glance, your map looks very impressive.

The 6 player thing, It would have been great 3 yrs ago.  AH, Nova, & L. Harris, could have gotton on board.  I am not so sure about today…

Maybe Atari, SSI, or ECA on a new WII or PS3 version…

I go away for a while and look what I missed…

I wish you the best.

• @Linkon:

Derek,

At a first glance, your map looks very impressive.

The 6 player thing, It would have been great 3 yrs ago.  AH, Nova, & L. Harris, could have gotton on board.  I am not so sure about today…

Maybe Atari, SSI, or ECA on a new WII or PS3 version…

I go away for a while and look what I missed…

I wish you the best.

Huh?  :?  You think that the future for these games will only be in computer gaming? I think there will always be room enough for boardgaming. They are two very different things…

• Where’s Derek’s map?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m