• @theROCmonster:

I really think he is talking about attacking on Japan R1. I have to agree with him. I just think Japan can’t hit enough on R1 for it to be worth giving US 20 more dollars…

Fair enough, but do you have battlemap? Would you like to see a proper J1 attack?

• Sponsor

@Jercules:

@theROCmonster:

I really think he is talking about attacking on Japan R1. I have to agree with him. I just think Japan can’t hit enough on R1 for it to be worth giving US 20 more dollars…

Fair enough, but do you have battlemap? Would you like to see a proper J1 attack?

Chill out, I was talking about a J1 attack on the US being unwise and by the looks of things, unpopular, and it’s not just $20, it’s a possible $40 extra income in NOs for the US, minus $30 from Japan for their NO, that’s a $70 IPC swing to the Allies. You may beg all you want, but I don’t have battlemap, and I don’t play video games. Why don’t you just post a detailed blue print of your J1? I have done blue prints many times explaining my strategies without  needing to challenge people to a online game, and just because you accomplished something in one game, doesn’t make it a wise standard operation.

• I have a mac, is there any way to play an online game here using the maps that I see you guys post?

• I agree with Jercules, the move is very viable and very critical. Altough a counter is that a J1 attack can let the US reinforce Australia immediately, bringing aircrafts and up to 2 more ground forces in time if done properly.

• @Young:

@Jercules:

@theROCmonster:

Chill out, I was talking about a J1 attack on the US being unwise and by the looks of things, unpopular, and it’s not just $20, it’s a possible $40 extra income in NOs for the US, minus $30 from Japan for their NO, that’s a $70 IPC swing to the Allies. You may beg all you want, but I don’t have battlemap, and I don’t play video games. Why don’t you just post a detailed blue print of your J1? I have done blue prints many times explaining my strategies without  needing to challenge people to a online game, and just because you accomplished something in one game, doesn’t make it a wise standard operation.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=25639.0

Here is a J1 blueprint that I posted for your benefit some time ago. Feel free to actually look at it, consider it, and present specific criticisms if you wish.

Also, feel free to not respond to my posts not directed at you.

• @Noll:

I agree with Jercules, the move is very viable and very critical. Altough a counter is that a J1 attack can let the US reinforce Australia immediately, bringing aircrafts and up to 2 more ground forces in time if done properly.

Noll, can you think of a viable defense to a J3 Sydney invasion from sz35 (35 to 54 to 62) besides flooding sz45, 46, and 54 with ANZAC and US seacraft?

• @Spendo02:

I have a mac, is there any way to play an online game here using the maps that I see you guys post?

You need to download Abattlemap. There should be a link for it somewhere in the stickies of this forum. It’s a tiny DOS program that provides us with the game board, the rest is done by forum (here’s an example of a game: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=25393.0).

I’ve read some controversy as to whether or not battlemap functions on macs, so be forewarned.

• US#1 after your DOW:

2fig from HAW to NZE

2inf HAW to sz52 via transport

1carrier 1fig from z10 to z51
    1fig from WUS to z51

at least 1blocker to sz54 to prevent an attack to NZE from CAR;

US#2 you land 4fig in NSW, 2inf from sz52 to sz62 > NSW

;

You could add (and I wouldn’t) 1fig 1tac from IND but they would be killable by Japan.

• @Noll:

US#1 after your DOW:

2fig from HAW to NZE

2inf HAW to sz52 via transport

1carrier 1fig from z10 to z51
    1fig from WUS to z51

at least 1blocker to sz54 to prevent an attack to NZE from CAR;

US#2 you land 4fig in NSW, 2inf from sz52 to sz62 > NSW

;

You could add (and I wouldn’t) 1fig 1tac from IND but they would be killable by Japan.

We’re gonna have a good game in January Noll, I can feel it.

• Sponsor

@Jercules:

@Young:

@Jercules:

@theROCmonster:

Here is a J1 blueprint that I posted for your benefit some time ago. Feel free to actually look at it, consider it, and present specific criticisms if you wish.

Hey Jercules, sorry if you think I was crapping in your corn flakes, but you’re the one who got highly defensive with my statement about how unwise I think it would be to attack the US early (and it seems that 29 out of 30 voters wouldn’t even make an early American attack their 3rd option). I read your blue print, and in an effort to refrain from being rude like you…. I will simply say “I disagree with it”, I would tell you why, but you have pissed me off and I don’t care to talk right now. I hope I didn’t accidentally address an opinion of yours that wasn’t directed at me, I must have been mistaken to think that this was a group forum… if you don’t want your comments to be commented on, may I suggest private messages.

• Hey guys at least none of us believe the hollocaust didn’t happen. Or that the world is run by the Jews LOL.

• @Young:

@Jercules:

@Young:

@Jercules:

@theROCmonster:

Hey Jercules, sorry if you think I was crapping in your corn flakes, but you’re the one who got highly defensive with my statement about how unwise I think it would be to attack the US early (and it seems that 29 out of 30 voters wouldn’t even make an early American attack their 3rd option). I read your blue print, and in an effort to refrain from being rude like you…. I will simply say “I disagree with it”, I would tell you why, but you have pissed me off and I don’t care to talk right now. I hope I didn’t accidentally address an opinion of yours that wasn’t directed at me, I must have been mistaken to think that this was a group forum… if you don’t want your comments to be commented on, may I suggest private messages.

You didn’t read anything, admit it!

• '12

@Spendo02:

Basically it comes down to one of two options:

Eliminate one of the powers in the Pacific
    -or-
    “Ignore” your map and assist Germany against Moscow

Thoughts on those two statements:

Anzac is the least valuable of the powers to eliminate.  It is also the furthest away and exposes your capital the most to the other powers.

You can’t eliminate the US without removing Washington.  Its pretty unrealistic and by the 4th turn the US economy will push you right out of the US if you manage a foothold if you haven’t gotten them into the war earlier.

China can be “eliminated” but can also be “ignored”.  This is an important consideration because China can never threaten your capital.

UK Pacific is the real Gem of the Pacific for Japan.  It gives Japan nearly exclusive control of the DEI, the NO bonus from it plus controlling all of the UK’s provinces that really won’t be lost to Anzac or the US until VERY LATE.  Its a solid 30+ IPC that Japan can maintain for a long time.  Conversely, its also a difficult objective to take and is very obviously seen by the opposing player from the get-go.

The last choice is to ignore most of the Pacific Map and drive straight for Moscow to assist a German push.  However, this play is a multiple turn play, and isn’t an early Japan play although it is required to be started early.  I’m guessing Japan’s forces won’t threaten Moscow in force until turn 7ish.  Thats a solid 3 plays by the US with full industry running.  Can a Japanese fleet withstand potentially 2 assaults on Tokyo from the US and probably at least 1 each from UK Pacific and Anzac?  Good question.

My biggest complaint still lies in the lack of utility of major islands that were significant in history (Midway, Wake, Guam, Iwo Jima for example).  There are NO’s for controlling all of them for Japan, but the realistic chance of obtaining that NO is far from relevant.  Further, the US can basically ignore most of the islands because Tokyo is a single turn move from Hawaii leaving the only real purpose of the spaces in the pacific as blocking spaces that only delays the US by a turn or two at best and requires the sacrifice of ships to manage it at all.  The advantages of holding the islands at all is minimal outside of SBR runs from Guam and the Philippines for UK/Anzac to threaten Tokyo.  The Caroline Islands just buy Japan time by holding it and honestly it feels like it lures Japan into a non-aggressive position of indecision.

Great post and very well written… I totally agree with you!

When it comes to playing with Japan, on turns 1-3 I like to go with the “India Crush” Strategy… I really think that this is the safest bet with Japan because it gives you the most options.  If you prep for the India Crush in the early game and the UK Pacific player does not adequately prepare for your attack then you have a slam dunk win in the Pacific.  If the UK Player stacks Calcutta and plays China to help defend the India Crush, then you still have your forces in place to attack the Philippines/ DEI on turn 3 (the second best option) or to hit the Chinese hard (third best option).  So even if you cannot take India on turn 3-4, you are still in a great position to expand.

Of all the strategies with Japan, I have the least experience with attacking Russia.  I played a global game in Alpha 2 where the Japanese player attacked Russia in the early game and then attacked the DEI/ Philippines on turn 3.  Towards the end, he ended up getting wiped out in Asia and Russia was not successfully taken… it seems like the Alpha 3 rules make it even harder to pull off a far east invasion of Russia; however I could be wrong (I have not tried this strategy in Alpha 3).

• Sponsor

You’ll never know.

• Japan needs all the units it has to stay in its own theatre. I don’t see why attacking russia through amur is smart…

• If Russia retreats the 18infs, getting 9IPC per turn can really help Japan. It’s not a total waste of resources.

• Customizer

Hey ROCmonster,
    In the game where Japan got taken on round 2, what happened was our Japanese player got all bold and decided to attack everything Round 2:  Kwangtung, DEI and Philippines.  I was playing a version where every country that has 25+ IPCs at the beginning of the round gets a free tech roll.  On round 1, Japan rolled, got lucky and got Improved Shipyards which lowers the cost of all ships.  So they bought 4 transports and on round 2, they took every last land unit off of Japan for attacking Kwangtung and the Philippines.  Also, all the planes had gone to carriers or the mainland.  On round 2, Japan bought some warships, 2 cruisers and a destroyer I think, but Japan was totally devoid of land or air units.
    The US had a pretty strong fleet around Hawaii, plus air units on Hawaii that could reach SZ 6 as long as the carrier in SZ 10 moved to SZ 7.  The US had more than enough naval  and air power to take care of those Japanese warships, which they did.  Then US simply walked in 1 transport with 2 infantry and took Japan, reduced it’s Major IC to a Minor and destroyed the AA guns.
    That’s how that travesty happened.  Ridiculously bad vision, believe me I know.  Germany (me) and Italy both let him know about it too.  We lost the war because of that, even with Germany taking Moscow.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Either take Calcutta (which IMHO is your only real option as if you wait until after Round 4 to try, you will fail) or blitz Russia/Mongolia and sacrifice everything to weaken the Russians to the point the Germans can win.

• If I see Japan going heavily into russia as US I am putting 70% of my money on the Europe board. Japan has no way of taking their 6 VC’s and with US spending 50 dollars a turn to take out Germany and Italy from the start they are goingn to have some problems….

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@theROCmonster:

If I see Japan going heavily into russia as US I am putting 70% of my money on the Europe board. Japan has no way of taking their 6 VC’s and with US spending 50 dollars a turn to take out Germany and Italy from the start they are goingn to have some problems….

Just saying those are the options.  Japan’s not taking out America either way. You either grab Calcutta early and get a VC win before America rolls into full gear (defined as many rounds of full income) or you cannot win on the Pacific board.  If you are not going to win on the Pacific board, it’s far better to turtle up with your corps, use minimal effort to keep your income as high as possible as long as possible and shove 4 armor, 6 mechanized infantry a round into Russia to push them back further and faster, hoping the Italians can come in the bottom door and use a small unit to take land for the Germans to land on and crush the Russians.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m