How much actual area does a hex represent?

• Me and my friend have been trying to fine-tune some much needed house rules.  Some of our decisions hinge upon knowing how much space does the hex represent.  Looking at how many units can fit into a hex, we were thinking that a hex would represent 100 yards measuring from one flat end to the other, but then that would mean infantry are moving 100 yards a minute which doesn’t seem realistic.  Has anyone made a decent determination as to the actual area a hex represents?  In one case I destroyed one of his tanks while it was on a bridge.  The rules call for destroyed units to be removed from the board, but I reasoned that the destroyed tank would block the path of the other tank attempting to cross.  Some opinions on this would be appreciated.

• Founder TripleA Admin

The rulebook says that hexes are 100 yards. I didn’t realize the turns/phases were only 1 minute. I would think 5 minutes at least.

• yeah, when you consider that you could have an official football game on each hex, it kind of puts distance in perspective.  :-D

• Each hex is 100 meters from side to side.  And each turn is 1 minute.  An infantry can move two hexes each turn.  Once during his movement phase.  Once during his assault phase.  Of course, a soldier would likely be able to move more than 200 meters in 1 minute, but take into account that these soldiers of ours aren’t just running in a straight line towards an objective.  They are moving through tough terrain, getting shot at, shooting back, and doing everything a soldier would do in a hostile environment in a field.  It’s not a sprint on an open track.

• Even when I was in top shape I think I would have gotten winded after the first 200 meters, especially if I was carrying gear and a firearm.  Units would move semi-cautiously even when in a hurry.  I still don’t see it as being realistic, but sometimes you have to sacrifice reality to gain better game mechanics.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m