What is making Alpha 2+ unbalanced?

• i appear to be the only one who voted UK is to strong

but let me explain
    first of all for germany, it’s very hard to kill all their navy, and normandy and have enough fighters for taranto. it’s almost impossible
    speaking of taranto, british can virtually stop italy dead in its tracks before it has a chance to play.
    also think india is bit to strong, now japanese can’t build big IC’s on malaya and hongkong (but that’s not the main issue)
    and to conquer UK itself, every new version keeps adding troops and difficulties, making it almost impossible. is not much fun!

• @Xandax:

@taschuler:

It boggles my mind how people could think Russia is too strong. I have waited till G4 and still took them out.

Me neither, but the stance seems to come from not being able to kill them “fast enough” more than Russia being able to take back anything.

Not “offensively” strong but “impenetrable defensively” when it comes to Moscow.

• My vote is Italy is too weak, sort of. If the fleets are combined, she would be in a much better position. If UK still wants to take out her fleet, then the UK will pay dearly in planes/fleet. This would make a sea-lion very possible for Germany. Something the UK would want to avoid.
    I also agree that it would be good to move the UK inf/plane in Normandy to the UK. This makes sea-lion very difficult for Germany. Not impossible, but very difficult.
    I do not think Russia is too strong. A prepared Russia should be difficult to take out and it should take more than 4-5 turns. Thats just the way it should be.

• Sponsor

If China were an easier take out for Japan, that might allow the japs to shift focus and react to the stronger Nations sooner. I’m not saying China should be weaker with less units, but they should have weaker positioning to start the game. For example, start a few infantry from the south in the north territories closer to Russia, and maybe instead of $6 for the Burma Road, it should be 1 free artillery which is a loss of $2 but an interesting playing piece.

I think Europe is fine, but I am really looking forward to Larry getting rid of the US Mexico NO and adding an “Operation Torch” NO (just makes sense to curb all the 100% Pacific strategies and reward participation in the European theater).

In summary I think the game is slightly in favor of the Allies, however, I believe that the cure is a small pill and not major surgery.

• Frank T
        When we play we randomly draw the round flags out of a cup, this way its pretty rare that one person is always a certain country. sometimes it happens I’ve pulled Japan 4 times in a row. (with ALPHA+2)
        Four of our players have been playing since the mid 80’s the other one or two, depends on who shows up have 10-12 yrs the other has been hooked for 3 yrs. Hes here every weekend
        The Axis wins are usually from better dice or a mistake on the Allies part. sometimes its the frame of mind your in    bummed out cause your one of the Axis or pumped because your one of the Axis
        I have yet to try the OOB set up for Japan instead of the ALPHA+2 set up

• @suprise:

Frank T
        When we play we randomly draw the round flags out of a cup, this way its pretty rare that one person is always a certain country. sometimes it happens I’ve pulled Japan 4 times in a row. (with ALPHA+2)
        Four of our players have been playing since the mid 80’s the other one or two, depends on who shows up have 10-12 yrs the other has been hooked for 3 yrs. Hes here every weekend
        The Axis wins are usually from better dice or a mistake on the Allies part. sometimes its the frame of mind your in    bummed out cause your one of the Axis or pumped because your one of the Axis
        I have yet to try the OOB set up for Japan instead of the ALPHA+2 set up

Well you guys have been playing this a lot longer than me so you have a good bit more experience.  I do get much more pumped up to play the Axis in my gaming group because I feel it is a hard challenge for me to win with them.  And for the record I think Alpha +2 is supremely better than OOB.

The one thing I have encountered is if the Allies dont make a major mistake then they usually win no matter what the Axis did.

• '17 '16 Customizer

The only thing I don’t agree w/ is Axis Victory Conditions. They should have stuck w/ the OOB conditions. The new rules make Global kind of seperate games again. If the US goes w/ the “Germany 1st” campain, wich is almost always the way to win, that leaves Japan pretty much the winner in the Pacific. That’s how I’ve been winning as the Axis. Japan pulls it off 1st.

• Do you go for the V.C.'s for a victory, or until one side concedes
      We don’t go for the V.C.'s we battle it out, and I like to put as much pressure on Russia as early as possible with all the Axis powers
      I think it’s amazing that you have not had an Axis victory
      I meant that instead of using the ALPHA+2 Japan set up use the OOB for Japan and ALPHA+2 for all the remaining countries. I think that it would give them the kick to eliminate one or two of their five enemies early in the game

• Maddog,

If the US reinforces Hawaii every turn, it’s pretty much impossible for Japan to take it, unless they put a lot of effort into, which means they are lacking in other areas. This is even if the US goes for a KGF strategy, which I agree is the best option for the Allies.

• @Commando:

Maddog,

If the US reinforces Hawaii every turn, it’s pretty much impossible for Japan to take it, unless they put a lot of effort into, which means they are lacking in other areas. This is even if the US goes for a KGF strategy, which I agree is the best option for the Allies.

I totally agree.  I have found it a far more effective Allied Strategy than going after Japan first and i have tried both/fought against both a couple of times now.  So I do think the 100% Pacific first crowd is right about the game being broken.  That said I do believe they are only looking at part of the picture and not the whole.

If Japan could take Hawaii and pressures the USA that would be a pretty decent counter for the Axis.  Yet as you said the only way to do that is to sacrifice in other areas which imho ends up defeating the point.

• I agree! Great minds think alike!  :-D

• @suprise:

Do you go for the V.C.'s for a victory, or until one side concedes
       We don’t go for the V.C.'s we battle it out, and I like to put as much pressure on Russia as early as possible with all the Axis powers
       I think it’s amazing that you have not had an Axis victory
       I meant that instead of using the ALPHA+2 Japan set up use the OOB for Japan and ALPHA+2 for all the remaining countries. I think that it would give them the kick to eliminate one or two of their five enemies early in the game

We just play unit the Axis capitulate or they capture the requisite VPs.  This usually takes around 15 rounds, and thats usually about 15 hours…at that point its time to call it.

• Glad to see I’m not the only one who thinks it’s fairly balanced.
    Anyone who played less than 10 games with different people should keep playing before any statements, IMO.

• Customizer

Interesting results.  I am certainly in the minority on my thoughts on Russia, but it the majority feel that the game is unbalanced with 19% believing that it is fine.

Not that 60 is a decent sample size.

• @jim010:

Interesting results.  I am certainly in the minority on my thoughts on Russia, but it the majority feel that the game is unbalanced with 19% believing that it is fine.

Not that 60 is a decent sample size.

It’s 19/60… which make just about 1/3 (31.7%) saying it’s fine.

• Customizer

I meant to say 19 out of 60.

2/3 still say it is broken for one reason or other.

• If it’s broke it is not by much. I think a couple of extra NO’s can help the Axis tremendously.
    Italy and Germany get 5 if London is taken.
    Japan gets 5 for Manchuria and Kwangtung.
    I personally believe your problem is solved right there. Take the 5 off for Mexico. Give 2 Ipcs for every originally axis controlled territory in Europe and I mean Europe only. Try that one on.

• Customizer

I suppose it depends on how you think the game is broken, and there is no consensus on that.

Italy and Germany get 5 if London is taken.

We have this one already in Alpha 2+

• @jim010:

I meant to say 19 out of 60.

2/3 still say it is broken for one reason or other.

The more I get on these threads the more it seems that 2/3’s of the threads that exist are dedicated to voices stating Alpha 2 is broken.

Everyone seems to have a different idea as to why the game is broken.  That being said the direction the wind seems to be blowing on Harris Game Forums would indicate not very many changes will be made to Alpha 3 unless LH has a change of mind.

I would suggest that those who believe the game is broken try to find time to make their case to LH on his forum before Alpha 3 is released.  He is responding to most posts submitted and taking what people say into account.

• Customizer

I would suggest that those who believe the game is broken try to find time to make their case to LH on his forum before Alpha 3 is released.  He is responding to most posts submitted and taking what people say into account.

I tried that.  First with the India Crush, and then Sealion.  I find that while he has a clear idea of how he wants his game to play out, he doesn’t have a grasp of how to actually play them.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m