• I’ve being waiting to try a British tactic where I forgo the Taranto raid in favour of bringing the British fleet up in defense of a German Sealion. As follows:

GB1:
    Buy
    1 fig (10)
    1 inf (3)
    save (16)

NCM:
    1 tac SZ91 to Lon
    1 fig Lon to SZ92
    1 DD 1 CV SZ91 to SZ92
    1 fig Alx to SZ92
    1 inf 1 arm Que to either Gib (if Germany is in position to assault) or to Lon

Collect Income
    29+5+16=50 IPC

GB2
    Buy
    2 CV (32)
    2 DD (16)
    save (0)

NCM:
    1 DD 1 CV 2 fig SZ92 to SZ110
    3 fig 1 tac Lon to SZ110

Mob Units
    2 CV 2 DD SZ110

Final analysis:
    3 DD, 3 CV, 1 tac, 5 fig SZ110 = 6 2’s, 1 3, 5 4’s (average 6 hits)
    Germany could potentially attack with:
    2 SS, 1 CA, 1 CV, 1 dBB, 4 fig 3 tac 1 bom = 2 2’s, 5 3’s, 5 4’s (average 7 hits)

BUT, Great Britain can absorb 3 of these hits with her carriers. This leaves us with:
    1 DD 2 dCV, 1 tac, 5 fig (average 5 hits)
    Germany:
    1 dBB, 3 fig 3 tac 1 bom (average 5 hits)

Continuing onwards, the British would lose their low hitting 2’s before her 4’s, and Germany will lose her precious airforce. In any case, Germany wouldn’t be able to do a Ger3 Sealion. Those 11 transports? Useless.

• I remember reading somewhere a suggestion that Italy would be neutral with the U.K. until I1 or attacked an Allied power.  That would fix the Taranto Raid (if it is even a problem) without adding or moving units.

• @Butcher:

I remember reading somewhere a suggestion that Italy would be neutral with the U.K. until I1 or attacked an Allied power.  That would fix the Taranto Raid (if it is even a problem) without adding or moving units.

And it would make the UK even more useless, removing its power in the one area it has a fighting chance.

• Which is why I put the disclaimer about it possibly not being a problem.  If the U.K. was not supposed to seriously consider the Taranto Raid, I would think that they would have other targets.

• What other targets? The German fleet, if it has a CV, is to strong to be attacked. The best it can do is withdraw to Canada, leaving Africa for the Italians and leaving the UK fully dependent on American help to even retake Africa, while with the Taranto Raid, it can at least trade Egypt until the US comes in

• Hence why they consider the Taranto Raid.  Make sure you’re reading everything carefully before asking questions  :roll:

• I wonder, does not sending the TB to UK (and using it for taranto) make a big difference in the end?

No, not really, Germany can Sealion G3 or G4.  I’ve played 4 games where UK ignored the Taranto raid- it gave Italy and the Axis a fighting chance.  The raid cripples Italy in time for the US to regain Africa, Italy won’t get past Egypt.

Not doing the raid- you can kiss most of Africa goodbye and Italy actually becomes a force making 25-30 a turn or more.

Simply put, if you don’t do it, Allies will pay.

Some ideas:

1.) WILD BILL’s AB rule change on scrambling: 6max for islands, 2 or 3 max on coastals

2.) Bob’s idea- add 2 subs to the Taranto seazone

3.) Combine the Italian fleets in one seazone

Others???  Which do you like best???  I like one of the first 2 mentioned the best.

• @questioneer:

No, not really, Germany can Sealion G3 or G4.  I’ve played 4 games where UK ignored the Taranto raid- it gave Italy and the Axis a fighting chance.  The raid cripples Italy in time for the US to regain Africa, Italy won’t get past Egypt.

Not doing the raid- you can kiss most of Africa goodbye and Italy actually becomes a force making 25-30 a turn or more.

Simply put, if you don’t do it, Allies will pay.

Some ideas:

1.) WILD BILL’s AB rule change on scrambling: 6max for islands, 2 or 3 max on coastals

2.) Bob’s idea- add 2 subs to the Taranto seazone

3.) Combine the Italian fleets in one seazone

Others???  Which do you like best???  I like one of the first 2 mentioned the best.

Indeed, when i didn’t raid, italy got too strong for a long time…

As for these 3 ideas: can UK join all its ships in 1 zone too then? ;)

edit: fixed some wrong quoting

• '10

Two things;

First, This is not really a Taranto Raid as that was done with planes.  What you are talking about involves the sacrifice of The British Med Fleet.

Second, Check out my thread on AAHG40.  I have made an alternate set-up that allows for a REAL Taranto raid with planes AND gives the Italians a stronger chance to defend against it.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=20976.0

• Personally, I’m not big on cookie cutter openings.  I’m also not a fan of attacking the italian navy turn one either.  This means that your navy is likely destroyed by german air turn two and you need to rebuild from scratch.  If you keep the uk navy safe, you can build on your starting forces and have more options to take the initiative and fight on your terms where you like.  But that’s just me.

• '10

@kungfujew:

Personally, I’m not big on cookie cutter openings.   I’m also not a fan of attacking the italian navy turn one either.  This means that your navy is likely destroyed by german air turn two and you need to rebuild from scratch.  If you keep the uk navy safe, you can build on your starting forces and have more options to take the initiative and fight on your terms where you like.  But that’s just me.

I agree.  I like to use different options every game…  Makes it more FUN and keeps the enemy guessing.

• Indeed!

• Sea Lion is a big concern for London and when it is pulled off easily it greatly helps the Axis.

Germany gets soo much money to spend G2.

• @cts17:

I’ve being waiting to try a British tactic where I forgo the Taranto raid in favour of bringing the British fleet up in defense of a German Sealion. As follows:

GB1:
    Buy
    1 fig (10)
    1 inf (3)
    save (16)

NCM:
    1 tac SZ91 to Lon
    1 fig Lon to SZ92
    1 DD 1 CV SZ91 to SZ92
    1 fig Alx to SZ92
    1 inf 1 arm Que to either Gib (if Germany is in position to assault) or to Lon

Collect Income
    29+5+16=50 IPC

GB2
    Buy
    2 CV (32)
    2 DD (16)
    save (0)

NCM:
    1 DD 1 CV 2 fig SZ92 to SZ110
    3 fig 1 tac Lon to SZ110

Mob Units
    2 CV 2 DD SZ110

Final analysis:
    3 DD, 3 CV, 1 tac, 5 fig SZ110 = 6 2’s, 1 3, 5 4’s (average 6 hits)
    Germany could potentially attack with:
    2 SS, 1 CA, 1 CV, 1 dBB, 4 fig 3 tac 1 bom = 2 2’s, 5 3’s, 5 4’s (average 7 hits)

BUT, Great Britain can absorb 3 of these hits with her carriers. This leaves us with:
    1 DD 2 dCV, 1 tac, 5 fig (average 5 hits)
    Germany:
    1 dBB, 3 fig 3 tac 1 bom (average 5 hits)

Continuing onwards, the British would lose their low hitting 2’s before her 4’s, and Germany will lose her precious airforce. In any case, Germany wouldn’t be able to do a Ger3 Sealion. Those 11 transports? Useless.

Germany could just go around SZ 110 to drop on the other side of England in SZ 109 (which UK could block with a DD).  But they could just drop the troops off in Scotland from SZ 119 or SZ 111 and go from there for G4.  Depends on what they really want to do then with those 11 transports (just go for broke in Novograd?)  Then they build a bunch of subs to use as fodder to kill the fleet next round.

• sea lion or not, irrelevant.  take out the IT fleet on UK1 and it’s an allied lock.

• We’ll have to agree to disagree then.  You can have your “lock” and never llearn how to devise and implement new and more clever strtegies.  :(

• @MaherC:

sea lion or not, irrelevant.  take out the IT fleet on UK1 and it’s an allied lock.

I believe it was also a lock for the Soviets to be the US in Lakee Placid….

• @leddux:

@MaherC:

sea lion or not, irrelevant.  take out the IT fleet on UK1 and it’s an allied lock.

I believe it was also a lock for the Soviets to be the US in Lakee Placid….

want another shot at that one?  here let me help

“I believe it was also a lock for the Soviets to beat the US in Ice Hockey in the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid”

Feel free to come up with your strats, post them…still waiting…waiting…

• :-D  What is the problem here? It is so easy to prevent the so called Taranto Raid:

All you have to do to save the Italian navy is to move the German subs from SZ 108 and

SZ 103 to SZ 91 and attack the UK fleet in SZ 91.

With any average rolling, you’ll either sink the dd or damage the carrier or both. The damaged carrier can no longer conduct flight operations.

Just keep firing torpedos at em both until you lose the subs, big deal; but it will get the results you need to easily prevent the ohhhhhh …. Raid.

This Taranto Raid is so hyped up.

• @Shakespeare:

:-D  What is the problem here? It is so easy to prevent the so called Taranto Raid:

All you have to do to save the Italian navy is to move the German subs from SZ 108 and

SZ 103 to SZ 91 and attack the UK fleet in SZ 91.

With any average rolling, you’ll either sink the dd or damage the carrier or both. The damaged carrier can no longer conduct flight operations.

Just keep firing torpedos at em both until you lose the subs, big deal; but it will get the results you need to easily prevent the ohhhhhh …. Raid.

This Taranto Raid is so hyped up.

Gibraltar naval base repairs the CV

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m