Japanes Pacific conquest - preliminary thoughts.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Gargantua:

I like the G4/G5 attack on Russia  It lulls the Russians into doing 2 things.  Buying less numbers of more expensive units.  And sending more tanks/planes/equipment east to fight Japan.  They get lulled into a false sense of security.

Russia also seems to pul back from it’s front line on R4, expecting the impending attack, thereby buying Germany another turn NOT to attack, or to feed forward VERY precisely and slowly.

Better to attack the Russian Bear and be Ready, then to attack to early, without the tools to do the job, and run out of gas.

I’d have to say the Russian player who buys very few expensive units (tanks, planes) in 4 turns of not being at war is either inexperienced, daft and foolish, or just rather dumb. Same thing for sending equipment to the east… Why in heaven’s name would one do that? Especially if Japan does what is planned in this thread… dancing around the Pacific … Russia will have no one to fight.

Russia’s best move is to line up his units on the front lines when Germany attacks so as to bleed him as much as possible. Infantry are doubly as good on defense after all.

I know you obviously agree with me on the above 2 Gargantua, but I just think your reasoning for waiting is flawed. Do most of your opponents do these things? Has it worked for you already? If so I’d like to hear how exactly. In a very sincere way.  :-)

Germany can afford to attack early if they plan accordingly. They need to make use of what time they have before the US and Britain get mobilized and before Russia can consolidate and buy more. Germany won’t run out of gas early if they have less to go against. Germnay will have to leave some forces to defend France and West Germnay, but early in the game this can be more or less disregarded. Not so later on. So GErmany’s spending will eventually be split between Russia and Western Europe. Neither strategy (wait or don’t wait) is ideal, but I for one think that attacking early is way better than attacking late trying to wade through a mass of Russian forces while the other Allies are giving you all you can handle in the West.

• A Russia who builds exclusively Infantry and Artillery will have more land units than Germany will by G5.

I would absolutely LOVE it if I as Germany faced a Russia with lots of units on the front lines!  It would make it easy to carve up Russia’s army piecemeal.

Russia should buy Inf/Artillery and mass into a couple big armies…  constantly giving up ground for time.  When opportunity arises, counter attack those German tank stacks and you will blunt the German spear.

• As Russia I always send a few things east - you want to delay Japan in China and Siberia to prevent JTDTM.

• @BJCard:

A Russia who builds exclusively Infantry and Artillery will have more land units than Germany will by G5.

I would absolutely LOVE it if I as Germany faced a Russia with lots of units on the front lines!  It would make it easy to carve up Russia’s army piecemeal.

Russia should buy Inf/Artillery and mass into a couple big armies…  constantly giving up ground for time.  When opportunity arises, counter attack those German tank stacks and you will blunt the German spear.

how’s that possible?
    every round germany has more money than russia, and a lot more starting troosp aswell
    so how can USSR have more land units than germany? not even mentioning attacking the german stack…

Sorry Zooooma, I got this a bit off topic.

As for sending Russian units eastward. The best they can do is go all the way East, above Manchuria/Korea, because unless Japan and Russia engage each other, they are not at war. The rules specify that Russia cannot send units into China unless Russia is at war with Japan. Tanks are quite valuble and really need to be utilized against Germany. I would not send anything eastward unless Germany was on the edge of defeat.

• @Frontovik:

@BJCard:

A Russia who builds exclusively Infantry and Artillery will have more land units than Germany will by G5.

how’s that possible?
    every round germany has more money than russia, and a lot more starting troosp aswell
    so how can USSR have more land units than germany? not even mentioning attacking the german stack…

I haven’t crunched the numbers myself, but this could be possible if Russia buys Cheaper units an Germany buys expensive tanks.

@LHoffman:

Sorry Zooooma, I got this a bit off topic.

No problem - tangents happen.  I found the initial responses quite helpful; besides which I’d planned to start a new thread as soon as I’ve devised a more concrete plan anyway.

@LHoffman:

As for sending Russian units eastward. The best they can do is go all the way East, above Manchuria/Korea, because unless Japan and Russia engage each other, they are not at war. The rules specify that Russia cannot send units into China unless Russia is at war with Japan.

But you can simply declare war against Japan and then move into China.  Really there’s zero drawback in declaring war.  You don’t lose a thing, and Japan doesn’t gain.

@zooooma:

But you can simply declare war against Japan and then move into China.  Really there’s zero drawback in declaring war.  You don’t lose a thing, and Japan doesn’t gain.

True.

• @zooooma:

Sounds like a waste of IPC to me.  You can stall the Japanese, but if Japan has captured India and DEI… you’ll have two monsters coming after Russia.  Probably best to focus on attacking Germany.  Plus to note, USA can use northern Russia as a highway to Moscow.  You attack Japan, I know I would take Siberia, not hard to mow down 18 inf with Japanese Airforce.  Than you’ll be losing IPC… and be severally hurting on both fronts.  (Japan will kill India and China, only place left to go with those land units is Russia!)

• @Dark_Destroyer:

@zooooma:

Sounds like a waste of IPC to me.  You can stall the Japanese, but if Japan has captured India and DEI… you’ll have two monsters coming after Russia.  Probably best to focus on attacking Germany.  Plus to note, USA can use northern Russia as a highway to Moscow.  You attack Japan, I know I would take Siberia, not hard to mow down 18 inf with Japanese Airforce.  Than you’ll be losing IPC… and be severally hurting on both fronts.  (Japan will kill India and China, only place left to go with those land units is Russia!)

Japan can do all you said whether or not Russia declares war. Russia may as well declare war to capture Persia and Iraq

• A couple russian infantry in the east do wonders. I am toying with more mech inf heavy builds for the more fluid fronts.

I will have to use a simple hex board to practice my mech moves. This isnt 1985 with a two territory eastern front

@calvinhobbesliker:

Japan can do all you said whether or not Russia declares war. Russia may as well declare war to capture Persia and Iraq

What do you mean? Oh, wait, Russia cannot activate Iraq neutral until they are at war with one or the other Axis… I see.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m