Global 1940 Cold War goes Hot Scenario

• my group played tonight. we’re continuing tomorrow night same time.

recap of what happened:
    Turn 1,2 war want declared. America took Spain and Russia made numerous Atlantic naval builds in an attempt to take the UK. the Americans grouped off Iceland to deter the USSR. major battles in china.

turn 3: soviet failed attack on turkey, took west Germany, Denmark, northern Italy, all at heavy losses. they also took Greece. took out the American carrier group but it didn’t matter b/c of the pacific reinforcements. American fleet survived with some loss but remained for the most part intact. Russia lost most of its far east aircraft due to the national Chinese AA gun, and with that lost a major portion of the red army in that battle. the us counterattacked and took northwest Persia, and caucuses, and reinforced the NATO fleet off of Greece. British forces are moving up through Africa, and the middle east to help with the drive though the south. the Americans are building up for 2 amphibious landings: 1 in the east to halt the commie troops in china and the other in southern northern Italy to take it back.

the game is great. i like the new bonuses and changes. the setup is great. ill let you know how the rest of the game turns out tomorrow evening.

• Great news, polo! Sounds very exciting.

Emperor, I don’t know much about battlemap but I dled it and threw this together fr you.

Latest rules and setup are in that list as well.

http://www.mediafire.com/?463jw5qhwtheerw

edit: There is a slight problem. Sweden should be marked as pro allied. I won’t bother making a new revisions just yet, however.
    edit: doh! uruguay should have a us control marker on it

• my group really wants to play your 1960 scenario. but take your time. we want it to be at least as good as your 1946 set up. keep up the good work

• This is well done! I am also working on a cold war 1940 map based mod, but research is taking a while.
    Mines is set at a differnent time (60s), allowing France to be withdrawn from NATO and neutral, Letting them decide their fate.
    What are your nuke rules?

• @poloplayer15:

my group really wants to play your 1960 scenario. but take your time. we want it to be at least as good as your 1946 set up. keep up the good work

I’m going to focus on 1946 right now, but there will be a 60s version.

@De:

This is well done! I am also working on a cold war 1940 map based mod, but research is taking a while.
    Mines is set at a differnent time (60s), allowing France to be withdrawn from NATO and neutral, Letting them decide their fate.
    What are your nuke rules?

I don’t have any nuke rules for the 1946 scenario.  I’m struggling with how to handle nukes for a 60s scenario. On question is should there be tactical nuclear weapons? It seems that their use could quickly spiral into a full scale nuclear holocaust.
    Yet, if you are going to have nukes as a strategic weapon then there should still be damage to units in the province attacked. generally speaking those troops would be rendered “ineffective” by such a strike. Of course you’d have armor with better nbc protection (perhaps as a tech). So you’d have to have a system where nukes severally damaged infrastructure and had a large percent chance to destroy infantry and artillery with a lesser chance to destroy armor.

• Hey Emp you know how I can open Danny’s media file? I don’t have the right program.

• we played another game. this time i was USSR and Communist China. turn 1 i got super lucky and destroyed the fleet off japan and kept all my fighters and my bomber(lost the tac bombers). took Persia, turkey, Greece, west Germany, Denmark, Norway, Iraq, and northern Italy. china had made large gains and the allies were struggling to stop me.

turn 2 i took pairs, Rome, Syria, sunk the NATO med fleet, and took more Chinese territories. the Chinese took shanghai and had the nationalist on the ropes.

turn three the USSR made a whooping 218 ipc!!! it had more but lost it to convoys. by this time the Chinese campaign was all but over, USSR was on the verge of conquering Egypt, therefore opening up Africa, it was starting to challenge the allied naval superiority and had taken all of continental Europe.

flaws we noted on: for the British NO “2. Collect 25 IPCs per turn if the United Kingdom controls all of its original territories on the Europe and Pacific maps. Theme: Maintenance of the empire considered vital national objective.” is it for original territory or for conquered territories like Iraq? also we think that the USSR need more ships and planes. also it needs another ally. maybe start the game right before the Korean war. just a thought. keep it up we really like the mod!

• One flaw I always see is 1: to many units and 2: the USSR doesn’t have a big enough navy or economy.

• at first i thought USSR didn’t have enough money or navy and that i didn’t have enough sculpts. but for the sculpts we just use Japanese pieces. with their economy you have to use the bonuses that dannyboy2016 posted, because that way you make a TON of money. last game i made 225ipc on the third turn, but lost 7 due to convoy raids and rocket attacks.  but i agree with you about the lack of navy. also they should have more air power.

• Danny boy. Why is Finland communist. I thought they weren’t occupied after the second world war.
    Also were planing on making cold war techs or Vietnam Korea civil war rules.

• @poloplayer15:

at first i thought USSR didn’t have enough money or navy and that i didn’t have enough sculpts. but for the sculpts we just use Japanese pieces. with their economy you have to use the bonuses that dannyboy2016 posted, because that way you make a TON of money. last game i made 225ipc on the third turn, but lost 7 due to convoy raids and rocket attacks.  but i agree with you about the lack of navy. also they should have more air power.

Thank you for your input. I’ll look into those issues further. :)

@finnman:

Danny boy. Why is Finland communist. I thought they weren’t occupied after the second world war.
    Also were planing on making cold war techs or Vietnam Korea civil war rules.

Well, Finland and USSR didn’t actually sign their peace treaty until 1947. My understanding is that the Soviets maintained a garrison near Helsinki at Porkkala until the 1950s. There is also the whole finlandization phenomenon where Finland accommodated the USSR and, in return, was allowed to continue its independent existence. Given that I assumed that in the event of an early Cold War goes hot Finland would either be forced to assist the USSR (as with the Lapland War) or Soviet forces would swiftly put Kuusinen in charge of Helsinki. Plus there is the issue of the massive reparations that Finland had to pay the USSR whereby the USSR basically absorbed Finland’s ipcs from the war’s end until the 1950s.

Still working on that. It is coming.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

You could have a side game that dictate nuclear threat level. You know, have a threshold set at so many points, and if you reach it each side destroys the other, and you BOTH lose.

it could kind of represent the people within each country who were working against, but for each other, to prevent nuclear devestation.  Kind of like the cooperative LOTR game, that no one ever wins lol.

You could sabotage or destroy enemy missle silos, and launch facilities, have commanders defect,  use foriegn aid concepts and other stuff, etc etc etc, to avoid outright cross nuclear devestation.

Or something lol I dunno.  That might be a whole other game.

• @Gargantua:

You could have a side game that dictate nuclear threat level. You know, have a threshold set at so many points, and if you reach it each side destroys the other, and you BOTH lose.

it could kind of represent the people within each country who were working against, but for each other, to prevent nuclear devestation.  Kind of like the cooperative LOTR game, that no one ever wins lol.

You could sabotage or destroy enemy missle silos, and launch facilities, have commanders defect,  use foriegn aid concepts and other stuff, etc etc etc, to avoid outright cross nuclear devestation.

Or something lol I dunno.  That might be a whole other game.

Interesting ideas. :)

Below are the Basic concepts I have for techs. When you roll a tech you then roll to see which tech tree you make an advance in and then you move up to the next tech in that particular tree. So you couldn’t research h-bombs before you develop fission bombs. Suggestions about how these concepts should work in-game are most welcome. :)

Land Tree
    1 Heavy Tanks
    2 Rocket artillery
    3  Self propelled artillery
    4 Tank Destroyers
    5 improved mechanized infantry
    6 Main Battle Tanks

Air Tree
    1 Paratroopers
    2 Long range Aircraft
    3 Jet Fighters
    4 Heavy Bombers
    5 Attack Helicopters
    6 Air to Surface Missile

Naval Tree
    1 Marines
    2 Sonar
    3 Super Heavy Battleships
    4  Long Range Submarines
    5  Super Carriers
    6 Nuclear powered Navy

Industrial Tree
    1 Improved Factory Production
    2 Aircraft Assembly Lines
    3 Improved Shipyards
    4 Underground factories
    5 Plastics
    6 Advanced Factory Production

Secret Weapons Tree
    1  Radar
    2 Electromechanical computers
    3 Rockets
    4 Surface to Air Missiles
    5 Transistor based Computers
    6 ICBMS

Nuclear Tree
    1 Atomic Research Facilities
    2 Isotope Separation Techniques
    3 Experimental Reactor
    4 Fission Bomb
    5 Hydrogen Bomb
    6 Tsar Bomb

• will these be for the current scenario or the much anticipated 1960’s scenario?

• Both. :)

• nice!  do you have any idea how these would work/ or what they do? and sorry for being a annoyance about this but any idea when the 1960s scenario will come out??? we really want to play it

• -edit most of the techs I have an idea of what they should do, but I’m struggling with how to do the nuke stuff exactly.
    We’re getting there. Once I finalize the tech effects I’ll playtest it.

• just ask if you need help play testing it. my group is glad to help

• I agree with poloplayer on the 1960 scenario. Can’t wait  :-D

• I’m going to post some of my tech ideas and see how you guys feel about them. Remember that this is a linear tree, so you’d have to get all previous techs before getting main battle tanks.

Land Techs

1 Heavy Tanks - tanks attack and defend at 4 during the first cycle of combat
    2 Rocket artillery - artillery attacks and defends at a 3 during the first cycle of combat
    3 Self propelled artillery - artillery has a move of 2, may support the attack of tanks, and may blitz when paired with an equal number of tanks.
    4 Tank Destroyers- artillery may target enemy tanks during any (or every) cycle of combat. When targeting enemy tanks artillery’s attack and defense value drops to 1, but the enemy must choose to loose armor for every successful hit rolled. 
    5 Improved mechanized infantry - Mechanized infantry now attacks at a 2 and may blitz without being attached to tanks.
    6 Main Battle Tanks - tanks attack and defend at 4 during every cycle of combat and have a move of 3.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m