My review copy of Axis & Allies Europe 1940 has arrived

• @Clyde85:

@oztea:

Both of the Axis powers only have minor ICs in their capitals.

Holy sh*t hes right! That makes no sense!

They do have Majors just not in their capitals. LOL

• What on earth happened to Fortress Malta??? It won’t take a “dedicated push” from the Axis to capture an island with nothing on it!!!

• Think about this….if it started the game as a fortress…Italy would be forced to attack it no matter what.

However, much like in the real war it starts with near nothing.

Malta only became a fortress because it was ignored by Italy for too long.

Because of this it was UK territory behind enemy lines, and thus reenforced to protect this link in the chain to egypt. THEN it drew the attention of the Italians and Germans.

• Plus the setup for Global isn’t going to be exactly the same as Pacific or Europe. Some placements will differ

• Couple things to note gentlemen:

1. these are the setups for the 1940 Europe version, LH has said that the global will have an alternate setup and we may see that written out in the rulebook somewhere rather than on the boxes.

2. If we not the France set up we have a minor IC on the normandy coast, major in paris, so that leaves no IC on the med, just a naval base.  However, southern france is worth 3, so it can take upto a major IC if your strategy dictates.

3. Assuming global set up doesn’t change much, I noticed that Western India has 4 infantry, this could prove to be a fair amount of help in holding india for the Pacific campaign, combined with the south africa IC as well.

4. Germany’s Major IC is on the west side of the country, as and many of us know that is where most of their industry was located at the time.  This keeps it in range for strategic bombing by the allies, 3 spaces by my count if you fly over Holland Belguim.  One note here before I move on to my point, you can in theory, pump out 10 ships then on the western side of denmark now, rather than in the baltic sea only.  Anyways, my final note on German IC’s is that Germany itself is worth 5 IPCs so it can be upgraded to a major IC.

5. some notes about IPC values for neutrals
      Spain 2
      Portugal 1
      Yugoslavia 2 (my alternate placement for a med IC)
      Bulgaria 1
      Greece 2
      Finland 2
      Sweden 3 (to me this is big for the push to Leningrad)

Brazil 2
    Venezuala 2
    Argentina 1

Turkey: going to call it 2, way to blurry
    Saudi Arabia Area 2
    Western Persia Area 2

two territories in southern africa that are 1 IPCs each

All I got for now…should be a fun game with lots of different strategies

• @Mino1124:

Plus the setup for Global isn’t going to be exactly the same as Pacific or Europe. Some placements will differ

I thought he said the opposite, but I can’t remember for sure. Anyone care to clarify?

• I think there’s a real trap that A&A game designs can fall into, when trying to represent historical situations. Alot of situations could have worked out differently had the commanders on the ground had the bridseye view we get in the game, they could have bettered exploited a situation. So, Malta is represented as it was in 1940, and only a total dope of an Italian commander wouldnt take advantage of the situation, cause he can clearly see what Britian has, which the real life commanders couldnt,

Its tricky, trying to represent history while keeping the game fun and balanced.

• @Clyde85:

I think there’s a real trap that A&A game designs can fall into, when trying to represent historical situations. Alot of situations could have worked out differently had the commanders on the ground had the bridseye view we get in the game, they could have bettered exploited a situation. So, Malta is represented as it was in 1940, and only and total dolt of an Italian commander wouldnt take advantage of the situation, cause he can clearly see what Britian has, which the real life commanders couldnt,

Its tricky, trying to represent history while keeping the game fun and balanced.

I Agree totally with you. If you want to play the game more realistic, you should also get rid of the dice. Think the impact of dice is really big. I’m a high roller……Not good in A&A… Some friends favour to play against me, because of it, damn-it…

• Im oppisite. My average roll is a two. FEAR MY LUCK

• Founder TripleA Admin

August 14 is a typo, it should be August 24. I will fix it. I re-read my email. Copies will be “available” at GenCon, I’m not sure what that means. I will correct the article.

• Thanks again DJensen for the pics and the info, it’s like feeding a starving puppy.

• @maverick_76:

Thanks again DJensen for the pics and the info, it’s like feeding a starving puppy.

WOOF!!!

• @djensen:

August 14 is a typo, it should be August 24. I will fix it. I re-read my email. Copies will be “available” at GenCon, I’m not sure what that means. I will correct the article.

And I got all excited  :-(

• I have question about the tech.

Does jet fighters effect tac bombers, or what does it do?

what does improved mech inf do?

• @Emperor_Taiki:

I have question about the tech.

Does jet fighters effect tac bombers, or what does it do?

what does improved mech inf do?

This may be wrong but since tacs are “Bombers” im guessing no but well see.

• First off, thanks for the info, its awsome that you take the time to post this info.

I just have 1 question, are there any islands that are named you can see that will make a good place to scramble planes from to protect your navy?  I would assume Malta would be a good location, ironically for Italy, is there a named island in the Baltic for germany to use?  Or one in Italy’s home sea zones?

• Founder TripleA Admin

Iceland might be useful for the allies.

• Is there any way you could do close-ups of the French and Italian units?

• Founder TripleA Admin

Yes but not until later. Maybe Monday, maybe Tuesday.

• @Clyde85:

I think there’s a real trap that A&A game designs can fall into, when trying to represent historical situations. Alot of situations could have worked out differently had the commanders on the ground had the bridseye view we get in the game, they could have bettered exploited a situation. So, Malta is represented as it was in 1940, and only a total dope of an Italian commander wouldnt take advantage of the situation, cause he can clearly see what Britian has, which the real life commanders couldnt,

That’s why the ‘Fog of War’ (double-blind) variant is important. It keep the game exciting, allows both sides to make surprising plays… and horrible blunders.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m