French figures–-less than what a normal power would get?

• I got the game “The War Game: World War 2”, and have played it in the past two weeks. Seems like a pretty cool game to distract me from waiting for August 24, but one thing really annoys me: the French units that come with the game are almost laughable. About 7-10 infantry pieces, a minor factory, a ship or two, and no tanks, which kinda makes it hard to play as them in the 1939 scenario of the game, or to play as them once France is liberated in the game.

Now I’m sure France will be getting more than infantry in A&A, but will its pieces be appropriate for that of a full-fledged power? Larry said he wasn’t sure if France was getting its own box or not, which is even more intriguing–-if it won’t have its own box, where will the set-up be, and where will all the French pieces be?

Now on the flip side, Larry also acknowledged that France, having one of the largest armies in Europe in 1940 will be well-represented, which is also good. I’m not too concerned about this, I just don’t want to be as disappointed as I was when I opened up The War Game :(

• Keep in ming that all the sculpts for that game are German

• ahhh the war game…Its A&As ugly and WAY nerdier stepsister. not that you are a giant nerd. but that game has more subrules than the Californian Constitution. Yeah France is supposed to get beaten. if they didnt then the game ends on turn 2!

• @idk_iam_swiss:

ahhh the war game…Its A&As ugly and WAY nerdier stepsister. not that you are a giant nerd. but that game has more subrules than the Californian Constitution. Yeah France is supposed to get beaten. if they didnt then the game ends on turn 2!

It’s supposed to get beaten, but it’s also supposed to be a full power. I’m hoping France will get at least as many figures as ANZAC does.

Keep in ming that all the sculpts for that game are German

Which was the huge turn-off for me. That’s why I use A&A figures for it: Italy from my Anniversary copy, France from ANZAC pieces, and China from…well, China pieces. The rest of the powers, as expected, I use from Spring 1942 and Anniversary.

• Its a fun game to be sure. And a part of me believes Larry and the gang saw it and totally copied a lot of it.

• @idk_iam_swiss:

Its a fun game to be sure. And a part of me believes Larry and the gang saw it and totally copied a lot of it.

Except for naval pass through and defender retreat(and the rule that, after a certain turn, the axis can’t build infantry)

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@idk_iam_swiss:

Its a fun game to be sure. And a part of me believes Larry and the gang saw it and totally copied a lot of it.

Except for naval pass through and defender retreat(and the rule that, after a certain turn, the axis can’t build infantry)

They should have max infantry builds each year.

• Official Q&A

@idk_iam_swiss:

I can’t speak for the rest of the development team, but I’ve never even seen this game in person.  I’m curious as to which features you believe we may have copied from it.

• Dang, I expected Krieg to come in here and give a cryptic answer as to what the French gets, but instead he preys on those who speak heresy.

Although I’m more than a little curious as to why swiss would say the A&A team copied anything from The War Game: WWII. If they’re gonna copy anything from it, let it NOT be the number of French figures.

• Official Q&A

@UN:

Dang, I expected Krieg to come in here and give a cryptic answer as to what the French gets, but instead he preys on those who speak heresy.

Hmmm, OK.  From what was posted above, the French will get nothing like what they got in The War Game: WWII.

• Well…… it IS France.
    :-D

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@ComradeKev:

Well…… it IS France.

Be careful Kev … UN might take you on for that one.

• @Krieghund:

@UN:

Dang, I expected Krieg to come in here and give a cryptic answer as to what the French gets, but instead he preys on those who speak heresy.

Hmmm, OK.  From what was posted above, the French will get nothing like what they got in The War Game: WWII.

Now, I may rest peacefully…until August 23, right before it comes out :(

@ComradeKev:

Well…… it IS France.

Yes, it is France.

• A&A is a lot better. there isnt a contest. But upon looking at the new global board, and my “War game” board…they look almost the same. I could hardly believe it. Sure one has ugly 1980s colors(TWG), and the other is done professionally(A&A).
    But the idea is pretty similar. Axis and allies is far superior, just noticed some similarities.

• Well IMTO the number of French army units will have to be quite small in comparison to the German’s.

_Go ahead and let the stats fly.

Raw numbers do not equate with battlefield effectiveness and victory requires more than an awesome head count.

Indeed, as this isn’t ASL where the fine print on counters and a quagmire of rules tell the tale of the specific differences between this tank and that tank, or the limitations of the tactical doctrine of Nation X, or the morale of veterans from Nation Y, etc. etc. etc. then adjusting the quantitative difference at set-up is the only way to depict a qualitative difference.

Thus, IMTO we must face the facts that the number of units on the board will not always represent the size of the army. C’est dommage.  :cry:

#532_

• @allboxcars:

Well IMTO the number of French army units will have to be quite small in comparison to the German’s.

Raw numbers do not equate with battlefield effectiveness and victory requires more than an awesome head count.

Indeed, as this isn’t ASL where the fine print on counters and a quagmire of rules tell the tale of the specific differences between this tank and that tank, or the limitations of the tactical doctrine of Nation X, or the morale of veterans from Nation Y, etc. etc. etc. then adjusting the quantitative difference at set-up is the only way to depict a qualitative difference.

Thus, IMTO we must face the facts that the number of units on the board will not always represent the size of the army. C’est dommage.  :cry:

What does IMTO stand for?_

• @allboxcars:

Well IMTO the number of French army units will have to be quite small in comparison to the German’s.

I don’t have to give you wiki pages or anything, the mere fact that Larry said the French Army will be well represented in Europe 1940 is relieving enough. :D_

I’d just figure that since France isn’t a main line combatant, they wouldn’t have as many figures as, say, Britain, but I would think they still get all the unit types. I would just assume they would end up being the pool size of ANZAC or Italy. As always, I think it would be better to have more pieces than fewer. However, France will probably be distinguished as having the least used pieces in the whole game. If things go as they should, Germany will take France before they can even buy anything on their first turn. Germany should then hold France for the whole game until the Allies take it back at the end before they win. This will likely give France 1, 2 maybe 3 turns (if the Germans just won’t surrender) to buy stuff. Actually, even if it takes the Allies 3 turns to take Germany after landing in France, it will take one whole turn for France to regain its money and then buy. So I think France might get 2 turns of buying. And with their terribly small income… I don’t see them buying a whole lot in the way of diversity in units… unfortunately.

I would not be opposed to some French Resistance rule where the French get 1 or 2 infantry spawned in France per turn… These French would then have to make a combat attack against Axis units in France. They would likely be dead after combat, which should probably happen, and you couldn’t evacuate them to Britain or anything. I don’t know… a rule like this would have to be thought out a bit.

I just know that I hated the French Resistance rule in AA Revised. 3 infantry after taking France… come on, how pitiful. I thought that was a really dumb National Advantage. Something like I proposed might at least make it more realistic or useful.

• @LHoffman:

I’d just figure that since France isn’t a main line combatant, they wouldn’t have as many figures as, say, Britain, but I would think they still get all the unit types. I would just assume they would end up being the pool size of ANZAC or Italy. As always, I think it would be better to have more pieces than fewer. However, France will probably be distinguished as having the least used pieces in the whole game. If things go as they should, Germany will take France before they can even buy anything on their first turn. Germany should then hold France for the whole game until the Allies take it back at the end before they win. This will likely give France 1, 2 maybe 3 turns (if the Germans just won’t surrender) to buy stuff. Actually, even if it takes the Allies 3 turns to take Germany after landing in France, it will take one whole turn for France to regain its money and then buy. So I think France might get 2 turns of buying. And with their terribly small income… I don’t see them buying a whole lot in the way of diversity in units… unfortunately.

I would not be opposed to some French Resistance rule where the French get 1 or 2 infantry spawned in France per turn… These French would then have to make a combat attack against Axis units in France. They would likely be dead after combat, which should probably happen, and you couldn’t evacuate them to Britain or anything. I don’t know… a rule like this would have to be thought out a bit.

I just know that I hated the French Resistance rule in AA Revised. 3 infantry after taking France… come on, how pitiful. I thought that was a really dumb National Advantage. Something like I proposed might at least make it more realistic or useful.

The French Resistance rule is now put 4 inf in paris the 1st time it’s liberated

@calvinhobbesliker:

The French Resistance rule is now put 4 inf in paris the 1st time it’s liberated

Is that a National Advantage then? Will there be optional NAs in Global 40? Or are we talking about House Rules here?

I remember National Adv. from Revised but they haven’t been included in any game since then, so my little group has sort of ignored/forgotten about them.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m