• @UN:

Historically, although a lot of the French soldiers that were evacuated from Dunkirk were eventually repatriated, around 8000 joined the Free French. I think perhaps one infantry in the UK would do.

Weren’t most of the French soldiers that were evacuated sent back to France?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@UN:

Historically, although a lot of the French soldiers that were evacuated from Dunkirk were eventually repatriated, around 8000 joined the Free French. I think perhaps one infantry in the UK would do.

Weren’t most of the French soldiers that were evacuated sent back to France?

Yes, again, they were repatriated.

100,000 French soldiers were evacuated. They were put in camps all around southwestern England before (quickly, I might add) being repatriated back to France. Around 8000 of them joined the Free French.

• Am I wrong or does the game start right after Dunkirk? If it starts right before it then we would just probably transport them ourselves. If it doesn’t then I would say that for the sake of simplicity they should not start off with any units in the UK. But that is just me saying that for ease of setup.

• @maverick_76:

Am I wrong or does the game start right after Dunkirk? If it starts right before it then we would just probably transport them ourselves. If it doesn’t then I would say that for the sake of simplicity they should not start off with any units in the UK. But that is just me saying that for ease of setup.

The game starts post-Dunkirk, pre-surrender.

• I think if Germany captures two of France’s 3 territories, the third should just surrender and their units should disappear from the map.  This would make the game more historically accurate.

• @brettstarr4:

I think if Germany captures two of France’s 3 territories, the third should just surrender and their units should disappear from the map.  This would make the game more historically accurate.

No.

• If the game is fun and balanced, why add more rules for historical accuracy? It gets too complicated.

• Give the McMan a cigar! 8-)

• @McMan:

If the game is fun and balanced, why add more rules for historical accuracy? It gets too complicated.

How is putting a French infantry in Britain complicated?

• @UN:

@McMan:

If the game is fun and balanced, why add more rules for historical accuracy? It gets too complicated.

How is putting a French infantry in Britain complicated?

I think he was referring to the suggestions for Vichy France rules that were cropping up.

If French units were shuttled to England to save them from the blitzkrieg when France fell, and the game is starting before the fall of France, why would we assume that there would be a significant number of French units in England at the start of the game?

@maverick_76:

Am I wrong or does the game start right after Dunkirk? If it starts right before it then we would just probably transport them ourselves. If it doesn’t then I would say that for the sake of simplicity they should not start off with any units in the UK. But that is just me saying that for ease of setup.

I’m with maverick here, perhaps it will be advantageous for France to pull any surviving units it might have from the coastal or Vichy territory (assuming they also have a surviving transport in range) to Engalnd (or perhaps Africa).  This would match history, but I don’t see any basis for there being a significant number of French troops in Great Britain before the fall of France to expect any French units in Great Britain in the setup.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m